Are you a fan of the Gizmondo?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

steve82

Are you a fan of the Gizmondo?

Post by steve82 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 pm

their must be somebody that takes the system serious

shiftytigger

Re: Are you a fan of the Gizmondo?

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:31 pm

Not serious but i do find it handy for MD emulation - buttons in good place for Streetfighter though its not well emulated.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:52 pm

steve82 wrote:their must be somebody that takes the system serious
Nintendo and Sony would appear to have taken the Gizmondo seriously given that the 'augmented reality' on 3DS and PS Vita was done by Gizmondo over seven years ago now.

A few of us here own and appreciate Gizmondo. Using the 'search' function may have helped answer your query.

Are you considering getting a Gizmondo as otherwise it's not clear for why you bothered posting this new thread?
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:09 pm

I like the Gizmondo, I have all the released games for it. Trailblazer's such a great little game.

When my TomTom died a couple of years back I used the Gizmondo as my main Sat Nav, so its had quite a lot of use.

Great for emulation too, apparently. I did give it a go, but couldn't get it to work straight away so gave up, but I'm sure it's not that difficult to do - I'm just not that bothered about emulating.

zapiy

Post by zapiy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:15 pm

I love my Gizmondo, the few games i currently have are fantastic for such a small HandHeld.

There is a guy who will be along shortly that's dedicated a lot of time to it, even wrote a book.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:45 pm

zapiy wrote:There is a guy who will be along shortly that's dedicated a lot of time to it, even wrote a book.
Who is this 'Guy'!? kneel to Zod......ZOD!!
Sorry my son was watching Superman earlier!

Yeah I'm serious, well sometimes! What do you want to know about said system?

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:02 pm

Never gotten round to emulating stuff on it, but there's a few unreleased games I like the look of. One of them to do with painting or something? Can't remember off the top of my head.

TrailBlazer's fantastic though, definitely. SSX3's okay, nothing spectacular but worth five minutes. It's a nice design overall, I'd probably use it a lot more if I got some emulators running on it!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

merman

Post by merman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:46 am

Being a Shaun Southern fan, I'd love to own one with Trailblazer...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Evander

Post by Evander » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:19 am

I think it's a great system. Build quality is excellent, nice screen, plus I got mine with all the Gizmondo games on an SD card along with the megadrive emulator and music videos.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:21 am

merman wrote:Being a Shaun Southern fan, I'd love to own one with Trailblazer...
Yeah its worth picking one up just for Trailblazer and P.O.D! They go for between £20-£30 on ebay

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:42 am

AmigaJay wrote:Yeah its worth picking one up just for Trailblazer and P.O.D! They go for between £20-£30 on ebay
+1 :D

Trailblazer on Gizmondo is a very cool game if a tad too difficult/frustrating for my liking. I must give it another go some time.

P.O.D. Point of Destruction may not look all that on Youtube but it's an absolute joy to play. One of my favourite handheld console games in fact.

There's some fun to be had with the other Gizmondo games too but those two are the console's real gems, imho.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:46 am

We had a Gizmondo in the office when I worked at Gamestation Head Office way back when. I remember we were baffled by the fact it didn't appear to have an on/off button. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:57 am

Mootown wrote:We had a Gizmondo in the office when I worked at Gamestation Head Office way back when. I remember we were baffled by the fact it didn't appear to have an on/off button. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.
I'm fairly certain the on/off button is the top right hand button above the screen.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:08 am

Evander wrote:Build quality is excellent
The build quality is far from excellent unfortunately. It looks good and feels good to hold, but there's a common issue with the controls/buttons. I've had three Gizmondos (all in excellent, virtually unused condition) and all three of them had issues with button sensitivity (some not working at all). I took them all apart and swapped the working buttons over to one Gizmondo in the end.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:28 am

Rinoa wrote:... It looks good and feels good to hold, but there's a common issue with the controls/buttons. I've had three Gizmondos (all in excellent, virtually unused condition) and all three of them had issues with button sensitivity (some not working at all). I took them all apart and swapped the working buttons over to one Gizmondo in the end.
I love the ergonomics of Gizmondo too.

* very comfortable to hold - none of that rectangular nonsense like on certain other handhelds
* that rubbery texture finish the casing has just makes sense - surprised more handhelds haven't copied it
* the rocker nature of the d-pad is a dream to use - second only to that of the Sega Nomad, imho
* the diamond layout, size and responsiveness of the main face/action buttons is fine
* the odd-looking shoulder buttons are positioned perfectly for my hands and they're more responsive than some more recent handhelds

On the negative side, I find the top menu buttons irksome to use. Too small and fiddly to press properly, for me at least.

I've thankfully experienced no issues with the system's durability... but don't start me on the battery!