Conditions for a Final Fantasy VII remake

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Lorfarius

Re: Conditions for a Final Fantasy VII remake

Post by Lorfarius » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:06 am

dave3622 wrote:I can accept that a complete remake would take an eternity and would no doubt be ruined by a new battle system, but how about a remaster to appease the HD fans. I never had an issue with the pre-rendered backdrops or CGI cutscenes, but the character graphics and world map are now very ugly by todays standards. All Square-Enix would have to do is recreate all the vector-drawn characters to make them look as good as possible, re-program the world map section so it looks as good as the one in 'Dragon Quest 8', add some speech and up the frame rate to 50fps - job done!

Sell it on PSN for a tenner and it would make millions !!!
They already did a lot of it in a way for the PC version. They redid all the character models and even today they look pretty good.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:56 am

The PC version of FFVII was a bit of a bodge job.

During the battle scenes the PC version used higher res graphics and better textures & effects but the pre-rendered backdrops during the exploration sections were often lower res than the onsed used on the PS (despite PCs being more powerful). The midi muisc was great though.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

GameOverYeah

Post by GameOverYeah » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:11 am

I'm not sure if I would be interested in the FFVII remake at the moment. Simply put, they need to create a modern FF engine that works well (or works better than previous games). I liked the direction FFXII went, the complete opposite of FFX and FFXIII. If they remade Final Fantasy VII into a similar style to FFXIII I would just disown the series.

I seriously hope they don't make any sort of remake of this, I would rather they concentrate on making Final Fantasy XV as good as possible. That means bringing the series back to its origins (a reboot would be hugely welcome). Bring back world maps, medieval setting, black and white mages (and classes), exploration etc. Then build back up to a future/magic world with FFXVI and FFXVII then would be a good time remake of this game.

But thats never going to happen. Final Fantasy is all about future settings, magic verse technology, super soldiers (who can jump and fly around like Dragon Ball Z) and teenage angst. If there is even one AK 47 in Final Fantasy XV then that will be the death of Final Fantasy. I'll then put in pe order of Final Fantasy : Modern Warfare edition 8)

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:37 am

Final Fantasy is not about futuristic settings. It has plenty of very different themes across the series.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:44 am

True, but there does seem to be more focus on 'futuristic' in the last couple of generations.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:11 pm

I lost interest in the series not long after playing FF10, FF8 nearly ended my interest but FF9 resurrected it. I just found it all so boring after that. Too long winded and driven by narrative.

FF 4 is the pinnacle of the series for me, and the PSP remake of that is how it should be done imo. Its just a pity that the augments from the also very impressive DS version didnt make it in there. I dont think 7 really needs to be remade, but if so they shouldnt deviate from the graphical style they used before, just clean it all up.

Eat your nans pants

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:15 pm

learnedrobb wrote:True, but there does seem to be more focus on 'futuristic' in the last couple of generations.
Final Fantasy XI, XII and XIV will have something to say about that.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

GameOverYeah

Post by GameOverYeah » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:11 am

nakamura wrote:Final Fantasy is not about futuristic settings. It has plenty of very different themes across the series.
Up until VII that would be true. But with the exception of IX all Final Fantasy games have progressively focused on a future with swords and magic setting. All culminating in a complete futuristic setting XIII and XIII-2. Since VII was made they have just been attempting remake/recapture that game which as led to losing what the series was all about. Slowly ignoring the fantastic work they did with FFVI which is arguably a better game than VII and much more deserving (or needing) a remake.

It is an odd situation considering how well they have handled the Dragon Quest series in comparison. Which is the direction they should go with Final Fantasy. Yes the overall concepts of the games remain the same for each instalment, but they are not afraid to mix it up a bit and try new ideas (DQIX and DQX).

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:49 am

11,12 and 14 are not remotely futuristic. 10 certainly has overtones but it isn't a huge part. 13 is very futuristic.

I fail to see how you can call the series so when it isn't. To then compare the series to Dragon Quest which while good, is as stale and rigid in it's approach as they come is amusing. Also FF is a very series with many different battle systems and mini games among other things.

Either way Final Fantasy needs a kick up the bum as 13 was a poor game.

GameOverYeah

Post by GameOverYeah » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:04 pm

Well I still think 8 , 10, 10-2, 13 and 13-2 is a big departure from what the series used to be. Yes they are not all completely about futuristic as 13 is. It cannot be denied that they were heavily influenced than FFVII and have attempted to follow its story and graphical ethos rather than as the series ascent gone on. The fact that two of the 3 you state don't are MMO just shows the direction the series has been going.

Though I find it very amusing how someone can defend FF series after XIII and the diabolical XIV can call the SQ series stale. Obviously you have missed DQ VIII, IX and the incredible remake on the DS which were never released over here. I truly don't know JRPG cache that doesn't love this series. Then again I think FF is moving away from the genre with each installment imo.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:27 pm

I'm not going to disagree that final fantasy has taken a wrong turn. That didn't start with 8 or 10th though, it started with 13.

The series has certainly become more cinematica than many others but that is not a negative. 10 was more streamlined but 12 opened out again albeit with a fresh battle system.
The problem is when developers churn the same thing out everytime they get slated yet if they change or evolve something, long term fans slate them.

As for dragon quest. Yes I have played the ones you mention and they are very old games with a lick of paint. My dq8 file is almost 70 hours so far and as much as I like it, it feels so dated to play and the game is slow and bloated yet full of nothing.

Richtendo

Post by Richtendo » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:16 pm

I think that if they made a remake akin to the Zelda Ocarina of Time remake on 3ds- staying true to the original but polishing the graphics up a bit- whilst very much keeping the super deformed style of the original, it would be fine. But a radical overhaul? No, just make a new game with Cloud as the main character if you must.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:13 pm

Richtendo wrote:I think that if they made a remake akin to the Zelda Ocarina of Time remake on 3ds- staying true to the original but polishing the graphics up a bit- whilst very much keeping the super deformed style of the original, it would be fine. But a radical overhaul?
What your saying is basically up-resing the original graphics making it a HD remake which is not what people want and not what Square would do.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Am I the only one that liked 13? I'm not saying a VII remake should be like it, but the game itself is pretty good... I enjoyed it way more than X, for example. The fact that it only gets good after 20 hours doesn't help it, I'll admit. But once you get to Pulse and start kicking bottom while being allowed to have a wander... Great fun. It's the only one I've actually finished of the main series since IX.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:15 pm

No game should have a 20 hour tutorial.

XIII was a bad game but glad you enjoyed it.