Conditions for a Final Fantasy VII remake

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ShadowNeku

Conditions for a Final Fantasy VII remake

Post by ShadowNeku » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:02 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFtzfadF ... re=g-all-u

I can only agree with their sentiments. Developers should be pushing forward to make better and better games. As much as id love to see it happen, it doesnt NEED to happen. Thoughts?
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

theantmeister

Re: Conditions for a Final Fantasy VII remake

Post by theantmeister » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:18 am

What a load of waffle.

I suspect the real reason we don't already have a remake is that it would be difficult/expensive to port. That Metal Gear Solid HD collection had the same problem - the original game (of the "solid" series) is missing.

How about this? When the next FF game comes out, we just get everyone to pretend it is the most awesome thing ever, no matter how horrible it is. Darran could give it 100% and then we'll get that FFVII remake.

I don't mind waiting though. I'm still playing FF1!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:26 am

Fan anticipation for such a thing is probably so great that the finished product would never live up to expectations no matter how good it was. Either it would be 100% faithful and gamers would complain that it was dated or online crap would be added etc. and fans would complain about the changes.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Advent Children so I'd like a beautiful remake with updated CGI etc. but the original PS1 game is perfect enough as it is. It's one of those games that I'd definitely buy a remake of but it isn't needed.

Square already remade the older games which was a good thing as they finally made the first six games available to European players whereas before the numbers were all mixed up and the games were US/Japanese-only.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:08 am

I personally hope they don't do a re-make. And with their statement it seems unlikely we'll get one, as I can't personally see a future FF game "overcoming" the Final Fantasies of the past, especially without Hironobu Sakaguchi on board.

As Megamixer said, the original FFVII's perfect enough as it is. I'm afraid to see some of the magic & beauty of the original game being lost in a full re-make.

Although that said, if they did go ahead and make one, I'd be first in line to buy/play it!

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:02 pm

I think a lot of the charm from the original comes from how it looks and an update could ruin it for some. Expectations would be of a game that look like Advent Children throughout so production costs would be high. Also, would Squenix just do a straight redress of the game or would there be more added to the game itself? But then that may upset some if the gameplay is different.

Theres just too many questions that i cannot answer myself. As a fan i dont know what i would want. :?

Would be cool seeing what some of the characters would look like in Advent Children style CGI. Wedge, Biggs and Jesse?! We only had their blocky characters to go with before. Speaking of blocky characters, when in battle the characters would change to much more detailed designs. If the game looked like Advent Children throughout then how could the battles improve?

*Brain melts*

Best thing to do, dont ask the fans. Just do it. Loads of people will love it, loads will hate it regardless.

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:08 pm

If Square Enix don't want to get hung up on past entries and want to look to the future, how come the last few years have seen remakes or re-releases of every FF from I-VI? I suspect the reason they aren't remaking VII is nothing to do with principles and everything to do with it being a big, time consuming project compared to the first six. But, y'know, I'd rather they spent their time and money on that than another ill advised sequel.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:09 pm

I would like to see a Resident Evil style remake if they ever did it.

High quality pre rendered backgrounds mixed with much better character models. It would be perfect on something like the Vita or 3DS and be relatively easy to do as the whole game is already there.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

tachi

Post by tachi » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:16 pm

I don't want to see a remake of FFVII, I love chibbi-cloud too much as he is :)
I do want them to stop releasing such absolute tripe though, I really don't know what has gotten into Square of late, what with the travesty of the Final Fantasy games & Front Mission (D)evolved.
I miss the old S-E, the one who made games they loved, not kept trying to revolutionise that which already works!
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:34 pm

I just want a decent Front Mission as they denied me of FM4. And dont get me started on Front Mission Evolved. They should have pressed the B button to stop that one :lol:

Isn't there a HD update of FFX on its way or did i dream that?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:38 pm

killbot wrote:If Square Enix don't want to get hung up on past entries and want to look to the future, how come the last few years have seen remakes or re-releases of every FF from I-VI?
Personally I thought those were good updates. The GBA ports and DS remakes were necessary for us Europeans as VII was the first game we got. At least the re-releasing of I-VI had a purpose of sorts.
tachi wrote: I miss the old S-E, the one who made games they loved, not kept trying to revolutionise that which already works!
The you miss Squaresoft not Square-Enix :wink: . They put out a few interesting games during the PS2 era and I can't fault their dedication to the PSP but on the whole, it was all over after the PS1 died in my opinion.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:43 pm

On Vita I think.

Square have been great on the portables but less so on the big machines.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:56 pm

Black Ridge wrote:And dont get me started on Front Mission Evolved
I liked it. It's a decent arcade mech shooter. Wouldn't mind seeing a few more games like it tbh.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:47 pm

The Beans wrote:
Black Ridge wrote:And dont get me started on Front Mission Evolved
I liked it. It's a decent arcade mech shooter. Wouldn't mind seeing a few more games like it tbh.
Yes i agree it was decent enough, but considering FM3 is one of my favourite games i was disappointed to see the series take this turn.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:00 pm

Megamixer wrote:
The you miss Squaresoft not Square-Enix :wink: . They put out a few interesting games during the PS2 era and I can't fault their dedication to the PSP but on the whole, it was all over after the PS1 died in my opinion.
Rogue Galaxy.
Dragon Quest VIII.
Final Fantasy XII.
Kingdom Hearts 2.
Star Ocean 3.
Final Fantasy XI.
Dawn of Mana.
Dirge of Cerberus.

Those are the Square Enix published games I own that I think are at least good.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:12 pm

You guys could always be patient and wait for this fan made 2d remake...

Full topic and very small demo here, along with more screenies...

http://www.saltw.net/index.php?topic=82474.0