Health Packs ++

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nakamura

Re: Health Packs ++

Post by nakamura » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:40 pm

I dunno. Lovely visuals, great sound with some cool weapons and location design. I just found it played really well and did nothing really wrong.
Story not so strong for sure but that never bothered me.

I picked it up on a last min buy on ebay for £5 as it had the Capcom logo on it and loved it. :D
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:45 pm

nakamura wrote:I dunno. Lovely visuals, great sound with some cool weapons and location design. I just found it played really well and did nothing really wrong.
Story not so strong for sure but that never bothered me.

I picked it up on a last min buy on ebay for £5 as it had the Capcom logo on it and loved it. :D
Capcom? It's Ubisoft :P . Unless we're talking about a different game here...it IS this one right?

For a fiver it's a good game. For the record, I didn't hate it but it was one of those games that I'd rather get rid of in the place of something else when it came to trimming the collection down due to space issues.

If I remember rightly, it has a fairly awkward sex scene in it too and a good/evil progression system which was interesting. I took the 'good' path and fought the woman (Tala I think her name was) at the end. No idea what the ending for the evil path is as I didn't replay it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:46 pm

Capcom for the US version. :wink:

Fair play if you didn't get on as well as me, one mans bread and all that. I would say it is in my top 5 FPS of all time, it just clicked with me. I do love the setting too, vampires and the wild west. It felt really fresh to play.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:53 pm

The Timesplitters games are my favourite FPS', specifically Future Perfect which I'm always proud to admit that I achieved 100% completion on (some really annoying challenges on there that took ages to get gold trophies on for the unlocks). In fact - relating to the thread topic - those games are also nice old school first aid kit pick-up games with none of this regenerating health nonsense.

Other favourites would probably be XIII, Black, the PS1 Medal of Honour games and Outlaws for the PC.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:56 pm

Yeah really enjoyed TS 2 and 3. 3 is the better game though so I kept that one to replay through. Also love Black and the first Red Faction.
Red Faction is a little old now but it still looks decent and feels like Total Recall.

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:24 am

Slightly off track, but this topic about health packs and health bars kicked a trigger in my mind.
Another thing that I found always utterly unrealistic, related to the healing of wounds, was in RPG, either turn based or realtime: the fact that you could spend literally MONTHS camping/sleeping/resting to heal wounds, recover from poisoning or memorize spells.
I recall entire (virtual) weeks spent in the dungeons of Eye of the Beholder to recover after each 'heavy encounter'. And all this despite the urge of the game's mission.
"In 6 months the world as we know it will be eaten by a chaos-spawned daemon!"
"Oh, I see... No problem, we can deal with that in 10 gaming time days. I suppose that there's no problem if my party and me spend the remaining 5 months and 20 days resting, then."
At least Dungeon Master (and maybe a few other examples that now escape me) introduced the food and drinks factor, so that even if you slept, you could die from starvation anyway.
What was the conjure food spell? LO FUL IR? Oh, no...that was the fireball... crap, I just roasted the mouse...

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:51 pm

Ooh thanks for the Darkwatch and Bloodrayne recommendations! I think I'm up for a bit of murderous Vampire-style action!
Wash that nasty sparkly vampire Twilight shit out of my eyes! :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:29 am

Having just picked up Duke Nukem Forever, I can safely say the regenerating health was an utterly terrible idea. In the likes of Call of Duty it works, since it requires you to take a more cautious approach and frequently find cover, which is what you'd do in a real combat situation. However when you're supposed to be playing a one man army walking bad ass, it's just stupid. You have to play like a coward, spending half your time running away. Whoever thought a two weapon limit was a good idea also needs Duke's boot in their knackers - again, it's a more realistic approach but here it just means half the weapons are useless and you're frequently left in the lurch with the wrong weapon for the situation