Health Packs ++

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Fightersmegamix

Health Packs ++

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:25 pm

Remember health packs? Of course you do :) You would get a finite amount, and if you made a mess of things you had to use one. Run out of health packs and it was a tense scramble to the next save point. You would be punished for your errors and had to decide whether to save them up for a final boss or use them to make progress. Then some genius decided they were just silly - who left all these health packs lying around? It ruins the immersion etc. So we moved to regenerating health bars, then a screen that goes red a bit when you get injured. Now you get shot in the head and your only punishment is to stand still for 5 seconds, much more realistic :)

Are there any modern games where health packs are still used?

Vyothric

Re: Health Packs ++

Post by Vyothric » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:37 pm

Ah...health packs....
Fightersmegamix wrote:So we moved to regenerating health bars, then a screen that goes red a bit when you get injured. Now you get shot in the head and your only punishment is to stand still for 5 seconds, much more realistic :)
I really hate this.
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:51 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:Now you get shot in the head and your only punishment is to stand still for 5 seconds
Standing still for 5 seconds without getting hit isn't a gimme. It depends on the game and the difficulty setting really.

In truth, both health packs and regenerating health aren't exactly going to trouble the bounds of realism. I've played plenty of games where health packs were so abundant they became irrelevant. And who can forget that handy pile of health packs and ammo right before a boss encounter?

A health pack that magically heals all wounds in an instant or the wonder science of a body that can fully recover over time after taking any amount of damage. Both sound a bit pish to me in the harsh light of reality. That's video games though. The suspension of belief to better facilitate the delivery of fun. One way is as good as another.
If it's done right, course.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:56 pm

Health packs aren't about realism but good game design.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:03 pm

I thought Halo was quite good in that you had a finite space for health packs but your regenerating shield wasn't over-powered and actually made sense (in a sci-fi way of course).

Regenerating health that can save you from death has made FPS' much easier in many cases but it does detract from the survival. Having said that, regenerating health didn't stop me from dying plenty in Black and Duke Nukem Forever.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:19 pm

Black? That had finite health packs.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:30 pm

nakamura wrote:Black? That had finite health packs.
Yes but when you are close to death, your health recovers slightly. There's a heart-pumping sound and blurring effect until it kicks in. I had to heavily abuse it to get through that damned final room in the game.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:44 pm

Deus EX HR
Alpha Protocall

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:51 pm

Megamixer wrote:
nakamura wrote:Black? That had finite health packs.
Yes but when you are close to death, your health recovers slightly. There's a heart-pumping sound and blurring effect until it kicks in. I had to heavily abuse it to get through that damned final room in the game.
Begging your pardon sir, I forgot about that and it also helped me in that final room!

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:01 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:Are there any modern games where health packs are still used?
Yep, Tomb Raider still uses them. I think Metal Gear Solid does too, in the form of Rations. Unless MGS4 did away with them? I can't remember.

I much prefer using health packs to characters who slowly regain health by keeping still. The latter slows the game down too much for me.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:33 pm

Didn't Far Cry 2 have a health pack-esque system with those syringes you used to restore health?

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:03 am

Vyothric wrote:Ah...health packs....
Fightersmegamix wrote:So we moved to regenerating health bars, then a screen that goes red a bit when you get injured. Now you get shot in the head and your only punishment is to stand still for 5 seconds, much more realistic :)
I really hate this.

Same here. Damn stupid mechanic, really. It always seemed to me to be one of those things that was designed to cater towards a crowd that was growing ever more averse to actual difficulty/challenge.

I mean, heck, not just health packs..... remember when in most games, you had a limited number of lives, and would (GASP!) actually get a game over if you ran out? Even if the game had a continue feature, the game-over screen pretty much rubbed in the fact that, yes, you had been DEFEATED. Not anymore, now you lose like, 5 minutes of progress MAYBE, and just regenerate at the nearest floaty shiny thing. I've watched players say that such-and-such game is pretty easy, yeah, they beat it without trouble, despite the part where I was watching them do much of it, and watching them die 10 squillion times in the process.... but they still "beat" it, sure!

There was a time when beating a game was actually an accomplishment, as many of them took real skill to finish completely..... now, you're just given infinite chances at that tough boss, and can even heal completely, without items, by just moving behind some pillar for 2 seconds. Exasperated sigh.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:22 am

All the Assassin's Creed games.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:09 am

Max Payne 3 used health packs (well painkillers technically) instead of a regenerating health bar. It made fire fights more tense and sometimes they could be a real pain in the ass!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:56 am

Well, sometimes regenerating health works fine (e.g. Alan Wake), but the good old health packs have a different taste, and can give more focus on strategy and reward good playing.

As was already said, Tomb Raider is the first game that comes to mind, and some fps. But not many games... I loaded up Syphon Filter a couple of days ago... ah, the satisfaction of finding (or stealing dead enemies') a "flak jacket"... :)

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark