GAMESTATION AND THEIR : RARE GAMES BOLOX

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

fraser1

GAMESTATION AND THEIR : RARE GAMES BOLOX

Post by fraser1 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:05 pm

This is the first time i've checked back with Gamestations retro section after always seeing a "coming soon " plastered in its place , now they have the stuff on their site,they now seem to have adopted Ebays' mentality of bumping up the price and attaching the "rare " label to them.

http://www.gamestation.co.uk/cat.asp?ca ... =platforms

And there's another topic here on RG about carboot sellers starting to do the same price hiking ,it just makes me sick seeing this happening as it's only a matter of time before more sellers follow suit.

£10 for wonder boy in monster land on the SMS -

RIGHT OH

pipster

Post by pipster » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:24 am

From the N64 link you used the prices don't look that bad certainly not that far from ebay, you don't have many options other than ebay, Gamestation or bootys.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nintendo-64-N64-P ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BANJO-TOOIE-N64-B ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-LEGEND-OF-ZEL ... dZViewItem

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:32 am

Yeah. £28.60 from an ebay seller who could censored off the next day or £30 for a guarenteed copy from GS.

I'd go with GS.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:29 am

the consoles are top dollar for bad rubbish at GS , but these games are not too badly priced to be fair. its the stupid prices for FF series that make me laugh , do they really sell any of them?
Retro when it wasnt cool

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:42 am

£10 for wonder boy in monster land on the SMS -

RIGHT OH
Fantastic game. Sounds a fair price to me.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:26 pm

To be fair, I think a lot of those prices seem pretty spot on to me.

Things are going to get a lot more interesting next year though. With three next gen consoles all offering downloadable classics, it's going to be interesting to see what happens to the second hand console market and indeed, Retro Gaming in general.

For example. I played on my mate's Wii the other night, and considering its only been out a couple of weeks he already has titles such as Gunstar Heroes, Donkey Kong Country, Sonic the Hedgehog, Ecco the Dolphin, PC Kid, Alien Crush and quite a few others.

That's pretty impressive and is only going to grow with time. Sure, some people will always want the original boxes, but it's certainly going to be interesting to see the download figures for these titles...

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:19 pm

Although it would help if most of them weren't in 50hz suck-o-vision.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:30 pm

Is there no option to run in 60hz?

I noticed that alot of newer games (or at least the ones I have) for PS2 & XBOX
are including this option! I think it would be well worth it - I always play in 60hz
when the options permit it.

fraser1

Post by fraser1 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:38 pm

I still don't agree with the prices, but what really gets my back up is that i've never classed any of those N64 titles as Rare, back in the day , MM and Tooie were not sold in limited numbers ( unlike some of the dreamcast titles) so i would've thought finding a copy of either today would be as easy as going to Cash converters & looking for a pair of slightly broken speakers.

Or is this not the case :?:

Mantas

Re:

Post by Mantas » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:19 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:To be fair, I think a lot of those prices seem pretty spot on to me.

Things are going to get a lot more interesting next year though. With three next gen consoles all offering downloadable classics, it's going to be interesting to see what happens to the second hand console market and indeed, Retro Gaming in general.

That's pretty impressive and is only going to grow with time. Sure, some people will always want the original boxes, but it's certainly going to be interesting to see the download figures for these titles...
True but some times you can find the original boxed version for less than what the Wii is charging. You won't have to look very far to find boxed versions of Sonic, Ecco and Zelda for less than the Wii. However, finding Gunstar Heroes for a decent price is more challenging. In that case, buying it on Wii makes sense.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:44 pm

It's the convience though. First you have to go onto ebay, or trawl around a load of shops or carboots,, then you have to wait for it to arrived if you've brought it online. Then you have to take it out the bloody case ;)

Yes boxes are nice, but ultimately I'm a gamer, not a collector. I just want to be able to play the games themselves. And so far, both Xbox Live Arcade and the Virtual Console are allowing me to do just that :)

Mootown

Re:

Post by Mootown » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:31 am

fraser1 wrote:I still don't agree with the prices, but what really gets my back up is that i've never classed any of those N64 titles as Rare, back in the day , MM and Tooie were not sold in limited numbers ( unlike some of the dreamcast titles) so i would've thought finding a copy of either today would be as easy as going to Cash converters & looking for a pair of slightly broken speakers.

Or is this not the case :?:
Due to the N64 not being as popular as PS1, and Majora's Mask and Banjo Tooie coming out when the N64 was winding down a bit, they didn't make loads (it was okay on launch) but then the titles seemed to just disappear. I was working in store at the time, and yes they were very rare for some months. I think people who loved Nintendo and still had N64's bought em and just kept the games rather than trading em in...

roberthazelby

Re:

Post by roberthazelby » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:37 am

Dudley wrote:Although it would help if most of them weren't in 50hz suck-o-vision.
Yep.

I'm only touching the PC Engine stuff from now on, as these seem to run properly.

I'm not forking out money for yet more crap PAL conversions.

Until Nintendo buck their ideas up, it's unlikely I'll be spending any more of my pennies in the Nintendo online store.
Xbox Live: roberthazelby | The Retro Ranch | The Retro Ranch Blog

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:08 pm

don't forget you can also p/ex your old tat against the new purchase
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:14 pm

They seem to have thought Sonic Jam was rare in my GS when they had it during this summer ( It was mine aswell as I breifly sold it and the saturn to a mate, but thats another story). They were charging £20 for it. Had they been here 10 years ago then they would of bloody realised that dixons, which is now long gone, was selling it in a bundle with the Saturn hence why I had it. They tried to sell an atari 2600 jr without any required wires or power supply, with the atrosity that was E.T for £9.99. They should be paying you to take away E.T. Atleast you didnt have to play it as you had no stick, power supply or tv connection for it
Watching you sleep since 1990