Your Most Desirable 8-bit Micro?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

AmigaJay

Re: Your Most Desirable 8-bit Micro?

Post by AmigaJay » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:34 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
AmigaJay wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:The SAM Coupé has always held a certain lustre about it for me for various reasons.
Trouble was it came out too late too market (late 89), then fell into the too expensive for an 8bit machine (around £250) and not enough power or games to compete with the 16bit machines, had it a bigger company behind it and released 2 years earlier it might have done better cause as say I have been intrigued about them too, though last time I looke on eBay they weren't very cheap too pick up either...
Yep, still doesn't stop it being 'desirable' though. The best-looking 8-bit home micro ever? It's surely a serious contender for the crown, imho. :D
True point made! :wink:

I think there were some great looking obscure Msx2 machines out there too!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:12 pm

A pristine, rubber-keyed Speccy
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:10 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:A pristine, rubber-keyed Speccy
On that note, anyone here know of the last time a BNIB rubber-keyed Speccy appeared on eBay and for how much it went for?

Just curious. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

batman877

Post by batman877 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:51 am

I'd quite like an Amstrad CPC 464 to sit alongside my beautiful Amstrad CPC 6128. The internal cassette deck was always more reliable on 464 than an external one attached to a 6128...

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:26 am

I would really like an Apple II at some point.

I don't really have any connection to any 8-bit computer. My first computer was an IBM XT, so I played most 8-bit games on that (Montezuma's Revenge, Rockford, PoP, Barbarian, Karateka, etc). I had played on the C=64, before the PC, at school and at a friend's house, but I've never really felt the urge to buy my own one.

I just want an Apple II, because I would love to have a computer designed by Woz. :mrgreen:

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:47 pm

I still want an ADAM. Thought it looked the biz with the funky tape drives.

Enterprise for the specs. Not sure about the looks as it was CPC inspired...

Some of the other old machines have bad specs, but interesting looks. Tatung Einstein. Dragon. Exidy Sorcerer?

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:22 am

I want a Spectrum 128 (grill) and an Amstrad 6128.

I opened a box in the attic the other day to discover loads of Amstrad disc games and also a BBC Master!. Forgot I had it. :D

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:21 am

My Commodore 16 + 64K internal ram upgrade as I always desired it to be as a kid, now it's done. It's a luxury item, and I just can't get used to the Plus/4 keyboard.

Plus my breadbin C64, once my 1541 Ultimate2 flashdrive is plugged into it which should arrive anytime soon. I can't wait 8)

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:49 am

Got to be my Atari 8bits, any of them really....
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:23 pm

Be nice to get the Spectrum+2 back (or was it a +3?), and I'd also like one of the computers that our primary school had, although I'm not entirely sure what it was!

Might've been a BBC, might not've been. The monitor had a button that switched the display from black & white to black & green, and the software came on those 5.25" discs. If only to play the most bizarre racing game ever for a second time - players taking turns to plot the co-ordinates of where they want their cars to go to on the track!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:49 am

TheDude18 wrote:A Commodore C16. It was my first computer and sadly sold it to fund the purchase of my C64 (which I did keep) Gutted I had to sell it as I managed to amass a large collection of games considering its unpopularity. Would love to own another just to get the nostalgia glands working.
Same here, it's the only machine I owned that I have no more. Yape and Minus4 are good and all, but I really wish I could load up some of the cassettes I had on the "real thing".

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark