Your Most Desirable 8-bit Micro?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

clarance

Your Most Desirable 8-bit Micro?

Post by clarance » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:22 pm

Don't know why, but I've been lusting over the Commodore 128D lately - lots of other exotic 8-bits out there I want as well, but I don't really know why :?

Am I alone in this obsession for obscure 8-bits?
Death may be your Santa Claus.

r0jaws

Re: Your Most Desirable 8-bit Micro?

Post by r0jaws » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:28 pm

Like my MSX quite a bit, have a couple of them. Not sure why TBH. Never had them, or even knew about them, as a kid so no nostalgia just an indefinable lust.
They are good though.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:06 pm

The SAM Coupé has always held a certain lustre about it for me for various reasons.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Polar One

Post by The Polar One » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:12 pm

I've no technical know-how to speak of and yet sometimes I find myself longing for a Kaypro II. Much like a young boy who has discovered his dads 'magazine' collection. I've no idea what I'll do with it, it just looks right and I want to touch it.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:27 pm

I can't wait to get power to my 'play shed' so I can use the Tatung Einstein for the 1st time! Just love the name - so the computer must be cool too :D

Always wanted an Oric-1 and a Jupiter Ace too
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:39 am

I want a replacement Oric 1 since my original is faulty. I have an Atmos (well, Replay does at the moment) but its just not the same. The Oric 1 was my first love.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:14 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:The SAM Coupé has always held a certain lustre about it for me for various reasons.
Trouble was it came out too late too market (late 89), then fell into the too expensive for an 8bit machine (around £250) and not enough power or games to compete with the 16bit machines, had it a bigger company behind it and released 2 years earlier it might have done better cause as say I have been intrigued about them too, though last time I looke on eBay they weren't very cheap too pick up either...

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:03 am

I'd like the following:

Commodore PET - probably the 4032 or 8032
BBC Model B
C16
Plus/4

I'm not looking very hard for them, but I do check eBay for the PET and Beeb if there is a local one going cheap that I can collect. I don't really have the space for them, so I don't know where I'd put them if I got them.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:39 am

I would really like a Dragon 32, mainly for it's version of Chuckie Egg, and an Oric Atmos, I think they look really quite cool.

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:12 am

The Oric Atmos has lovely styling, but the one I'd really like to get my hands on is the Enterprise Elan.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:15 am

I always thought that the SAM looked a bit weird and not in a good way. It's a very angular machine, and putting the keyboard at the back of the case - although it does have ergonomic benefits in that you can use the front as a handrest - still seems a little unusual.

The looker amongst the later 8-bits is definitely the CPC6128+, although the Atari XE runs it respectably close having taken its styling from the Atari ST.

I think the C128 looks a bit too industrial, as does the BBC Master 128, although both are built like the proverbial brick outhouse.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:20 am

I'd love to get a classic Apple 2. My fave from my youth was the c64 though, really liked the old Sega SC3000 too, Lode Runner on cartridge!

Always wanted to get a Vtech Creativision, never did. If I found one on a local auction at any stage I'd grab it just to have a dabble :)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:38 am

AmigaJay wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:The SAM Coupé has always held a certain lustre about it for me for various reasons.
Trouble was it came out too late too market (late 89), then fell into the too expensive for an 8bit machine (around £250) and not enough power or games to compete with the 16bit machines, had it a bigger company behind it and released 2 years earlier it might have done better cause as say I have been intrigued about them too, though last time I looke on eBay they weren't very cheap too pick up either...
Yep, still doesn't stop it being 'desirable' though. The best-looking 8-bit home micro ever? It's surely a serious contender for the crown, imho. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:29 am

A Commodore C16. It was my first computer and sadly sold it to fund the purchase of my C64 (which I did keep) Gutted I had to sell it as I managed to amass a large collection of games considering its unpopularity. Would love to own another just to get the nostalgia glands working.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:22 pm

My Atari 800XL, mainly use carts on it now (cue loading time jokes!) but the system had a long life and some faithful publishers (English Software, Zeppelin games etc...) and good old school conversions of Pole Position, Donkey Kong, Moon Patrol and many others...