Games that gaming time forgot...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Doddsy

Games that gaming time forgot...

Post by Doddsy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:09 am

Do you ever reminise back to a game that you once played or still play to this day and believe its a really good game yet these days it seems all but forgotton about. It's neither mentioned about with friends or even by Retrogamer. If it has been mentioned then only just a little bit.
Some games from my gaming past that I think the gaming world has forgotton about are;

Network Q Rally (1996) PC. - This was a really good rally game. I loved the sound FX as you went over the different surfaces - the gravel being my fav! It also had a really good arcade mode where you had to pass each stage within a certain time limit.

Jane's AH-64D Longbow (1996) PC.- Longbow was a helicopter sim. It sold alot and won many awards, including 'Flight Simulation Of The Year' (1996) from PC Gamer. Computer Gaming World ranked it as the 100th best game of all time for being "the first helicopter sim to match its fixed wing counterparts for realistic play."

Pod (1997) - PC. POD was a racing game. It was generally given high marks at the time of release. The game was considered to be a showcase of what computers could do, and updates were often released to adapt the game to newly released hardware.

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Games that gaming time forgot...

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:33 am

Doddsy wrote: Pod (1997) - PC. POD was a racing game. It was generally given high marks at the time of release. The game was considered to be a showcase of what computers could do, and updates were often released to adapt the game to newly released hardware.
Used to love POD (well, the demo we had anyway). Sure it was someone "famous" who did the music for it, perhaps going down the WipEout route?

One that I've yet to see in the magazine or in much else places is Captain Dynamo, a Codemasters platformer for the Spectrum. Nice and challenging (gradually), even with a bit of speech (Captain Dynamo has a Brummie accent). Still play it a fair amount nowadays!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:15 pm

Ultim@te Race Pro – A Ridge Racer clone for the PC which looked stunning with the Power VR graphics card at the time.

Fingers Malone – A single screen platform game on the C16. Very tough but very addictive. Look out for the PC remake on tinternet.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:24 pm

Doddsy wrote:Jane's AH-64D Longbow (1996) PC.

I have Longbow, its one of the last proper sim games I bought and played. What with the recent bluffer's guide in the mag I was contemplating digging it out and giving it a whirl again. I've got a much better stick for it now too. I've another of the Jane's games but I forget which, possibly ATF.
Doddsy wrote:Pod (1997) - PC. POD was a racing game. It was generally given high marks at the time of release. The game was considered to be a showcase of what computers could do, and updates were often released to adapt the game to newly released hardware.
That new hardware including the Dreamcast with POD: Speedzone? I assume its the same franchise.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:43 pm

Megatraveller on the Amiga, brilliant sci-fi rpg

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:57 pm

Magic Carpet. Remember that one?
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:59 pm

Freestyler wrote:Magic Carpet. Remember that one?
I certainly do! The last good game Moleneux made.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:55 pm

theantmeister wrote:
He did a racing game as well, using the same engine I think. Christ alone knows what it was called though. :?
It ran like treacle on my PC at the time, I remember that.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:13 pm

Freestyler wrote:
theantmeister wrote:
He did a racing game as well, using the same engine I think. Christ alone knows what it was called though. :?
It ran like treacle on my PC at the time, I remember that.

High Octane?

http://www.teamteabag.com/2008/04/21/ga ... sx-saturn/

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:58 pm

On The Ball, World Cup and League Editions, brilliant football manager games that had training session you could watch, press conferences and loads of other great things, that are now common or sorely missed in football management games. Made by Ascon software at the time, and I believe certain ex-members of this company work on the Fifa Manager games, that also have some unique features but lack in a lot of other areas.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:46 pm

Some games that I would consider may get fairly blank looks from people might be:

Crusader No Remorse, and No Regret on PC, recently got both down from the attic for a blast through DOSbox, never realised it was so easy to get these old Dos games running so easily, pretty samey gameplay, but the ability to destroy anything on screen, and deal out some of the nastiest deaths in a game of that period, excellent games, and pretty well acted cut scenes too.

Good shout on Ultimate Race Pro, had a force feedback steering wheel with that, also used to love another racer on the PC, Viper Racing, some great damage technology in that game, looks pretty ropey now, fondly remembered by me, but seemingly forgotten by everyone else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ajLa91SASQ

Also on PC, the first two Moto Racer games were pretty impressive, along with an atmospheric action adventure game Ecstatica, SCi Fi shooter Terminal Velocity, and the over the top violence of Rise Of The Triad.

And am I the only person who played Impact Racer on PS1/Saturn to death, still give it a go every now and then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1WU2VRHlmM

Others off the top of my head, Mischief Makers, N64, Splash Lake PCE, Revolution by Vortex on Spectrum, Heartland By Odin, played it to death on Spectrum, just discovered the faster, smoother C64 version, System 3's Myth, No Second Prize, Overlander, Escape from the planet of the robot monsters, Archipelagos, Hammerfist, Midwinter, on Atari St, Plan B on Electron, and I'll finish with Codename Droid 2 on BBC B.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:54 pm

adippm82 wrote:Some games that I would consider may get fairly blank looks from people might be:

Crusader No Remorse, and No Regret on PC
Been featured in the mag iirc and available for just a few quid on GoG.com.

Your final list is more like a 'toplist' than forgotten games!
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:03 pm

Surely I can't be the only person who thought Blast Chamber was fantastic?
Future sport meets puzzle platformer meets capture the flag.

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:05 pm

The Zillion Games on the SMS, no reason why that series couldnt continue. I never played 2 but from what I heard it was generally regarded as better than the 1st. I loved number 1...

Eat your nans pants

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:08 pm

crusto wrote:The Zillion Games on the SMS, no reason why that series couldnt continue. I never played 2 but from what I heard it was generally regarded as better than the 1st. I loved number 1...
That's funny - from what I've heard, number 1 is better than number 2!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.