Car boot sellers are going mad......

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:32 pm

Got to disagree...now that's not like me?
Car Booters are becoming a bit like the morons who wait until the last 2 milliseconds to bid on eBay.
At the end of the day you have to ask yourself the following question?
Do you just want a bargain or are you prepared to pay a fair price for that collectable you've always wanted?
I know what camp i fall into.

pipster

Post by pipster » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:38 pm

I'm sure i'm going to regret this but what's wrong with bidding in the last two seconds, always worked for me. Not my fault if you didn't put your maximum bid in.

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:39 pm

I usually bid 666 in the last second or so if it's something I really want, one day it's gonna backfire I know...

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:42 pm

I've been through this one before and loads of people disagreed then too...
Last minute bidding for sellers is the most irritating thing known to mankind (in my humble opinion).
As ever, if you only want to pay say 99p then it makes no difference if you bid with 5 days or 5 milliseconds to go? You either win or you don't?
My original comment still stands. Do you just want a bargain or are you willing to pay a fair price for an item you want??

pipster

Post by pipster » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:29 am

Why would it be irritating for sellers? I've sold hundreds of items on ebay and if you don't want to sell it for peanuts stick a reserve on it or a higher starting bid. I'm no being argumentative here but it's certainly easier to sell stuff on ebay than anywhere else, once you accept it and start doing it yourself 'sniping' makes it a lot easier.

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:06 am

junkmale wrote: Do you just want a bargain or are you willing to pay a fair price for an item you want??
I bid max bid in the last 30 seconds. Give me a fair BIN price and I'd use it for someting I really wanted - saves the hassle of bidding just to save a relatively small amount.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:50 am

Absolutely, I always bid in the last 20 secs or so. I put in the max bid I'm willing to pay and if I get it great, If I don't you wait for the next one to come up.

What really p1sses me off is the people who get into a bidding war like 2 days into a 7 day auction. All they are doing is pushing up the price needlessly. Its pathetic, its like this is already mine an I must have the highest bid in all week.

As for booters/GS prices, like was already mentioned, I guess if its something you really want then you'll be willing to pay that bit more. What is annoying about boot sales is you get there early to have a chance at picking up some decent stuff. The woman that was selling the SNES for £25 probably got rid of it for a fiver at the end of the boot sale.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:23 am

I always snipe on Ebay as it's one of the best way of getting things cheap on there. It does have its failures like recently I put in a bid of £68 for the prototype issue of Smash Hits and lost. :( Still, c'est la vie. :)

Good luck to those who find bargains at carboots as I can't be arsed! :lol:
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:25 am

all the carboots i have been to have nothing except psx games and consoles, nothing else at all retro wise. I popped my head around the door of Wrexham gamestation the other day , the retro section is gone , apart from some bits in the window of wildly overpriced rubbish £39.99 for a second hand neo geo pocket colour , I could have got a new one for less last year off the net.
NES consoles for about 30 odd quid lol and completely yellow Snes consoles,if your going to pay top dollar you want a good product especially if your a collector the crap in the window there is obviouly car boot rubbish that goes for £3 tops you have to be mental to buy that crap.
Retro when it wasnt cool

James A

Post by James A » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:45 pm

If your willing to invest the time in the car boots round the the area you live, you will find very good condition stuff Lindopski. its just a matter of sticking with it.

Have to agree with you about them taking all the rerto stuff out of Gamestation in Wrexham as it used to have a very good section up until a couple of weeks ago.

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:08 pm

James A wrote:If your willing to invest the time in the car boots
And that's where it falls down. My time is worth around £12 an hour (hey, I'm cheap) and car boots offer nowhere near that return. For the time and effort, I'd rather pay a couple of quid extra on ebay and at least have some indication of seller reliability etc.

They're fun to scour round once in a while, but its hard work to keep at it week in, week out.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

James A

Re:

Post by James A » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:45 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
James A wrote:If your willing to invest the time in the car boots
And that's where it falls down. My time is worth around £12 an hour (hey, I'm cheap) and car boots offer nowhere near that return. For the time and effort, I'd rather pay a couple of quid extra on ebay and at least have some indication of seller reliability etc.

They're fun to scour round once in a while, but its hard work to keep at it week in, week out.
Got to say this year for me its been well worth the hassle both in picking stuff up and making some money out of it.

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:32 pm

I've had most of my best finds at the bootys. Yes there have been weeks of absolutely nothing where its just a waste of time, sleep and money but every now and then I do get extremely lucky. I got a boxed VIC-20 with sleeve and about 15 games + tape deck for £5 as well as a boxed MD2 with Alien Storm, Streets of Rage and Dungeons and Dragons all for £5. You won't find that on Ebay or GS. However, I have bought the Gameboy player for the GC from GS and it was cheaper than Ebay.

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:53 am

I can pick up a decent, boxed copy of Super Metroid on eBay for, say, $20. Or I can stuff around at a market or boot sale and the best I could come up with was an unboxed, neglected and even sun faded copy for $10. Screw that. I want it in the best condition possible. Some of these people selling games at these sales have obviously poked their head in on us and seen the "sucker" factor in effect, that combined with the fact that people pay respectable money for some items, and want to capitalise on that. They're just going about it the wrong way.
真・豪鬼

Panic Button

Post by Panic Button » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:21 am

I went to the 'car boot sale' at New Covent Garden Market in London a few sundays ago. I was staggered to find it wasn't so much a car boot sale as a kind of out door hypermarket for cut price new goods from no name brands at knock down prices and attended mainly by immigrants. There was hardly a traditional carbooter in sight! I think most people would rather flog their unwanted stuff on ebay these days than drag their arses out of bed early on a Sunday to get down to the local car boot sale. Ebay rules!