Car boot sellers are going mad......

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Randall Flagg

Car boot sellers are going mad......

Post by Randall Flagg » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:37 am

It seems that car boot sellers are slowly losing their minds with the prices they are asking for they're old console stuff.

I woman wanted £25 for a snes with leads and a few games. I pointed out to her that 1. The price was laughable and 2. I had picked one up for a quid a month before and she started getting really arsy with me.

N64 for £20, GC for £50, X-Box for £45, all of them unboxed and not very well looked after. Even games seemed to be at stupid prices. You'd usually expect to get old unboxed MD carts for like 50p/£1 each. Someone was selling them for £6 each and most of them were old sport sims.

I dunno if its the time of the year or what but people are really losing it. I usually try and be a bit helpful, even if its something I don't want by explaining that I'm a bit of a collector and suggesting a price that isn't too over the top but they look at me like I'm trying to con them....

I ended up picking up an X-Box (see through one) with two controllers, multi-media controller, all leads and half a dozen games for £30. Normally I wouldn't entertain that price from a car boot, I'm usually ever the opportunist (anything above a £5 and I lose interest) but have never had an X-Box before and as Halo and Halo II were included in the sale, I thought I'd give it a go.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:18 am

Argos do a new Xbox 1 with Project Gotham 2, Halo 2, Fable and Forza Motorsport for £50 for instance.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:06 am

Dudley wrote:Argos do a new Xbox 1 with Project Gotham 2, Halo 2, Fable and Forza Motorsport for £50 for instance.
That was a pricing error that a few people managed to take advantage of, it then went up to £90, but it's now back down to £70.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 671867.htm

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:37 am

I'm still contemplating the GC's in Gamestation for £45 with controller(s) and 4 games.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:51 am

Yeah get that cube ,its my favourite of the old next gens.
you have to get Warioware,tales of eternia,super mario sunshine,harvest moon and animal crossing to, and of course the Zeldas,Mario karts,paper marios etc etc .. its ace.
Retro when it wasnt cool

scunny

Post by scunny » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:06 am

i have noticed this worrying trend also, someone was wasking £20 for an old unboxed gameboy, not pocket or colour mind.

They always throw out lines like, oh i would get more from them on ebay! When they say that I usually ask them why standing outside in the cold is a better choice than making their fortune on ebay then.

P-Head

Post by P-Head » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:29 am

It's becoming a pain. Seriously, Ebay's offering better prices than my local market's car boot section lately. And Gamestation, man. £38 for a NES? I know I mentioned it before but damn, thats ridiculous.

pipster

Post by pipster » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:58 am

It's true, there was a time where i was very excited to see an Atari woody at a booty but now i don't bother as you can get a known working one on ebay for a tenner, what's the point?

James A

Post by James A » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:33 pm

I think it depends on how clued in people think they are on the prices of the old consoles. They probably have a quick look in Gamestation and think yep ill sell em for that. £30 + for a NES is plain wrong. I picked up about 5 in the summer and didn't pay more than £3 each. Theres always going to be those who will get it inot their head that stuffs worth more than it is, and yeah they can be really rude whe you try to correct them on it.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:23 pm

James A wrote:I think it depends on how clued in people think they are on the prices of the old consoles. They probably have a quick look in Gamestation and think yep ill sell em for that. £30 + for a NES is plain wrong. I picked up about 5 in the summer and didn't pay more than £3 each. Theres always going to be those who will get it inot their head that stuffs worth more than it is, and yeah they can be really rude whe you try to correct them on it.
The bit they miss is, Gamestation will give you a 90 day warrenty and usually your choice of games.

So there's no way I'm paying gamestation prices at a car boot which whichever censored sports games you bought and no warrenty.

Gamestation are more expensive than most but you're paying for service and piece of mind. Private sell prices should reflect this.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Mad Gerald

Post by Mad Gerald » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:26 pm

Most booters dont have a clue - they just think they do. I think the main reason GameStation have hicked up the prices on retro consoles is time of year. they dont have jack for most of the year - they save it for crimbo.

Saying that, i did pick up a boxed jaguar with 6 boxed games from the Slough branch for £29.99.

Officially a crap gamer - but one that works for SEGA

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:41 pm

Stopped going to car boots a couple of years ago when most of it was made up of dodgy DVD/console game sellers and traders masquerading as car booters. Ebay, although the world's largest fence, is now becoming a cheaper and more convenient option.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:03 pm

Frank Chickens wrote:Stopped going to car boots a couple of years ago when most of it was made up of dodgy DVD/console game sellers and traders masquerading as car booters. Ebay, although the world's largest fence, is now becoming a cheaper and more convenient option.
you're quite right!.....its just that on eBay you can pick up just about anything, the mistique of the car boot sale is you never know what you're gonna pick up.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Frank Chickens

Re:

Post by Frank Chickens » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:23 pm

Randall Flagg wrote:
you're quite right!.....its just that on eBay you can pick up just about anything, the mistique of the car boot sale is you never know what you're gonna pick up.
Sadly for me the mistique went on the umteenth time of getting up at the crack of dawn only to find stalls that make Arthur Daley seem legit. :(
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

James A

Post by James A » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:28 pm

Yeah its bad when you get days of nothing but its offset by days of getting Suikoden for £2 or Steel Batallion for a tenner. Even better when the bloke selling thems a complete tw*t. :D