Favourite console...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Lord Innit

Re: Favourite console...

Post by Lord Innit » Sat May 07, 2011 7:04 pm

The Master System has been my favourite for years,after all it has Wonderboy on it,my favourite game.Recently though,the Snes has been threatening to take the number one spot.There are just so many great games for it.

DanWelsh86

Post by DanWelsh86 » Sat May 07, 2011 8:47 pm

The PS1, hard to believe that can actually be called retro now. Where the hell has the time gone? :shock:

Classic system, with just classic games....it brought in a new era in gaming, and without it the stigma of being a gamer would never have changed.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Sun May 08, 2011 3:51 am

Nothing will ever beat my Atari 2600. So many happy memories... :D

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun May 08, 2011 5:54 am

Saturn, for it caters perfectly to my tastes.
Racers? Sega Rally, Daytona, Manx TT, WipEout 2097, Road Rash, Need for Speed, Scorcher.
Fighters? VF2, Fighters Megamix, SF Alpha, Last Bronx, Ultimate MK3.
Sports? Athlete Kings, SWWS 98, Winter Heat, Steep Slope Sliders.
Not to mention Baku Baku, Blast Chamber, Panzer Dragoon, Bomberman, Sega Ages, Sonic Jam, Virtua Cop, Virtual On, Worms and NiGHTS (the only one I haven't got yet :twisted: ).

And that's only the PAL releases!

Not to mention the model 2 controller, the 3D pad and all the other cool peripherals.

trip2themoon

Post by trip2themoon » Sun May 08, 2011 6:28 am

Lord Innit wrote:The Master System has been my favourite for years,after all it has Wonderboy on it,my favourite game.Recently though,the Snes has been threatening to take the number one spot.There are just so many great games for it.
The SMS was my first great system which was an upgrade from an Atari 2600. Wonderboy was once my favourite coin op and the SMS version blew me (and my mates away) The first home version we played was the pathetic Specky version.

Favourite system has to be the SNES. F Zero blew me away and Mario World was good fun (always thought Mario 3 had far more depth and Mario World was far too easy). The SNES also was the first for me to bring the arcade experience home with stunning conversions of SF2 and Final Fight. Turtles In Time was pretty amazing too. The SNES still seems to me to be the only system to have a good to crap game ratio weighed heaver in the good. With disc consoles the crappy company THQ have managed to make a name for themselves... :(

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sun May 08, 2011 7:31 am

It would have to be the Super Nintendo, so many of my fav games were on the sNES. Soul Blazer, FF III, Zelda: ALTTP, Super Mario World Lufia II, F Zero, Gunman's Proof, Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts - I could go on and on. The PSP has to take second place, a really nifty piece of kit which might even catch up with the Super Nintendo if SNES emulation was perfect...

bhyperp

Post by bhyperp » Mon May 09, 2011 4:36 pm

1. Snes
2. Master System
3. Wii

I just loved reading Electronic gaming monthly and Gamepro(mmmm big shiny mags) when Snes and Megadrive where ruling the roost... Then waiting half a year for games to hit my town after reading their review.
Holy Crap mums don`t know the value of their kids VIDEO SYSTEMS!

bhyperp

Post by bhyperp » Mon May 09, 2011 4:40 pm

trip2themoon wrote:
Lord Innit wrote:The Master System has been my favourite for years,after all it has Wonderboy on it,my favourite game.Recently though,the Snes has been threatening to take the number one spot.There are just so many great games for it.
The SMS was my first great system which was an upgrade from an Atari 2600. Wonderboy was once my favourite coin op and the SMS version blew me (and my mates away) The first home version we played was the pathetic Specky version.

We loved it too... we played this at a mates place for a very long time!!! Didn`t even play Alex Kidd that was built in their SMS2 to much....
Holy Crap mums don`t know the value of their kids VIDEO SYSTEMS!

Judoscar

Post by Judoscar » Mon May 09, 2011 4:49 pm

Has to be the Wii, as with homebrew I have the entire games collection for the NES, SMS, SNES, MD, PCEngine under my tele in one handy box, and with a wireless controller.

If we cannot include those lovelies, then I would toss up between PSX, N64 & Saturn is that is my favourite Generation. Probably the N64 as I loved those games the most.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon May 09, 2011 4:50 pm

DanWelsh86 wrote:The PS1, hard to believe that can actually be called retro now. Where the hell has the time gone? :shock:

Classic system, with just classic games....it brought in a new era in gaming, and without it the stigma of being a gamer would never have changed.
Fully agree. Such a defining console & represented a huge jump from 16 bit machines. Many franchises that are here today have their origins on the PSone.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Mon May 09, 2011 6:51 pm

Like i mentioned in an old thread The Playstation is my fave console of all time for so many reasons. Although i only have a few hard copies of ps1 games left i have all my old favourites on my PSP which run fantastically. All the Final Fantasy games, Metal Gear Solid, Both Abe's Oddysee games, Grandia, Legend Of Dragoon, Chrono Cross, all 3 main Resident Evils, Rapid Racer, Star Ocean 2 and the first 3 Tomb Raider games with the first TR being my 2nd fave game ever only behind FF7. It had great games across all genres and like someone mentioned a lot of the huge franchises around today all started on PS1.

Dreamcast would come 2nd as it had some quality arcade titles as well as deep engaging adventures and its definitely the best named console ever.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

Steven

Post by Steven » Tue May 10, 2011 7:19 am

personally i would say xbox 360 because it is the peoples console meaning: it has games of every genre for any person it has awesome graphics, internet play and it is affordable.

Ceylon Tea
Last edited by Steven on Sat May 14, 2011 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue May 10, 2011 4:16 pm

Steven wrote:personally i would say xbox 360 because it is the peoples console meaning: it has games of every genre for any person it has awesome graphics, internet play and it is affordable.
It also makes you more sexually attractive to the opposite sex. That is; if you let them win the odd game or two. :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue May 10, 2011 4:53 pm

PS1, SNES runner-up (photo finish).

PS1 launch titles like Ridge Racer, Battle Arena Toshinden blew me away, as did Tekken 2 & 3, Gran Turismo etc later. I gotten too jaded to care not-long after X-Box.
SNES really awesome but the PS1 games had a bigger impact on me generally, and the memories aren't so murky lol.

GrapeApe408

Post by GrapeApe408 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:24 am

1:SNES
2:NES
3:PS2