Favourite console...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

James A

Re: Favourite console...

Post by James A » Fri May 06, 2011 4:22 am

Going to get crucified for saying this but my 360

Awesome games, got me into online gaming, amazing retro stuff on XBLA and great Indie games.

Retro wise MK1 Megadrive. Looks so damn sexy, brilliant games and classics im still discovering today.

mrmarvelxiii

Post by mrmarvelxiii » Fri May 06, 2011 4:42 am

The SNES by a long shot, It's got more grade-A platformers than you can shake a controller at... and then some! For me whenever I sit down to play an old Friend, like Super Metroid or Donkey Kong Country, I just get this warm feeling inside... it's a comfort console :)
Chazz it up!!!

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Fri May 06, 2011 9:56 am

Not counting remakes, ports, and emulation, the MegaDrive wins for me. Sonic, OutRun, After Burner, Earthworm Jim, Road Rash, Space Harrier, Gauntlet, Klax.

Otherwise the Xbox 360 wins. The great 360 library (including After Burner Climax, Sonic Unleashed, Pacman CEDX) plus most of the great Xbox library (OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, Blinx, Jet Set Radio Future) plus Dreamcast remakes plus MegaDrive ports plus Indie games surely make it the console of choice.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

William S

Post by William S » Fri May 06, 2011 10:31 am

The SNES.
ImageImageImage

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri May 06, 2011 12:38 pm

ncf1 wrote:call me boring but I'd have to say Playstation, PSOne. of all the consoles Ive played i found the PSOne to have the most decent,fun games overall.
I second that. Its got most of my favourite games on it and is home to the cream of the crop of Squaresoft titles. I have so much left to buy for it aswell it stupid.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri May 06, 2011 2:27 pm

Sad to say on a Retro forum but it's the Xbox 360 I'm afraid.

Perfect wireless pads, multiple profiles with individualised saves, massive game library, classic style Indie games, brilliant XBLA, rock-steady online performance, Internet Radio, Friends Lists....

What's not to love?
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri May 06, 2011 2:43 pm

My favourite conosle is the Wii. It's the best system I've ever owned and a retro gamers wet dream come true. I love the variety of gameplay on offer from motion contorls to retro (lot's and lot's of retro). It has great controls, love the Wiimote & Nunchuck and the Classic Contorller Pro is perfect for old skool gaming.

It is pretty much all Nintendo home systems rolled into one (N64 library is a bit sparse and that's why N64 is my number 2 choice), It has a solid library of retail games and Wiiware, plus it's fully B/C with the GameCube and it has emulators that are so close to the real deal that I've even packed away my SNES and Mega Drive. On top of this, the console is tiny so I can just sling it in my backpack and take it to my friends for the weekend (try doing that with an Xbox lol). Brilliant multi-player/party games too. The cherry on the cake? GOTY 2011 is on the way and my God is it looking good. :mrgreen:

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:02 pm

xbox 360, the best games machine ever made.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Fri May 06, 2011 5:04 pm

The 360. Although I do more gaming on the PC nowadays, the PC isn't a console anyway and it was only on purchase of a 360 that I really got back into video games in a big way. I can't remember better times in gaming terms than I've had playing The Orange Box, Prey, Nier, Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed 2, Borderlands, Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effects 1 &2.

I may not have a lot to add, but I just thought it was ironic to contribute to a topic on a forum aimed at old machines by voting for a machine that was released in the UK on the same day as this thread was started.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat May 07, 2011 3:24 pm

The Atari Lynx

If it can't be a handheld then its a tough choice between the Saturn & Megadrive for me.

dste

Post by dste » Sat May 07, 2011 3:41 pm

The Super Nintendo, probably always will be my favourite.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat May 07, 2011 3:45 pm

'Awise Fwom ywour Gwave' (sorry, but this thread being dug up reminded me of Altered Beast speech on MD) Anywho....

Tough call!, Lot of love for the 2600, MD, PSP, Xbox and DC but has to really go to the Playstation-Just delivered the quantum leap from my MD days i'd hoped for, so many classic games (ahhhh, Xcom) and 1st time i got into Import gaming as such.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat May 07, 2011 4:03 pm

Definitely _not_ the Xbox 360. :lol:

Definitely the PlayStation or GameCube in terms of original games though.

In terms of arcade ports, PlayStation 2 or Saturn.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Servbot

Post by Servbot » Sat May 07, 2011 5:38 pm

My favourite console has to be the wii, I love how not every game is a first person shooter. Runner-ups are the PS1 and Megadrive :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat May 07, 2011 5:44 pm

I'm torn, but is it from the Cube/PS2/Xbox gen, and a flip of the coin here? Because of the great range of games, new style ones and great retro compilations, I genuinely can't decide as Cube has the likes of REmake Resident evil, PS2 has the like of GTA SA and Silent Hill 2...

So I will ignore them all and say PS1 :wink: :lol: Seriously, PS1 is the machine that really kept me playing more than anything. It had great arcade retro collections on it, it introduced me to some of the games that ad me seriously hooked like Doom, original Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Silent Hill...it had fab racing games like Destruction Derby 2 and Rage Racer...The controller just felt perfect IMO, as well as a great control stick for the retro packs...
Was a great all round system IMO :)