Favourite console...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Wil

Post by Wil » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:42 am

Without a doubt the Super Famicom. Never bought a PAL game and only a select few US titles so I never thought of it as a SNES.

Truly my 'golden' age of gaming.

Wil

wheelaa

Post by wheelaa » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:50 am

PCE...has the best conversions of countless classics, as well as a huge library of pce only quality.

Big props to Saturn, MD, Neo and Marty though.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:53 am

Out of the three I've had (2600, PS1, PS2), I'd have to say the PS2 has been my favourite.

Kubrick

Post by Kubrick » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:30 am

It's the SNES.

muse hunter

Post by muse hunter » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:57 am

1) Saturn
2) Super Famicom
3) Neo Geo AES

hmmm... this was difficult, the problem is my top 3 always changes, it just depends on the consoles i'm loving at the moment. Saturn is number 1 simply because of the huge amount of great games on the console, there must be about 50 games on the format worth owning, great for shooters and 2D fighters which i love. Okay unlike the snes it doesn't have many games that are revolutionary but who can deny the likes of sat bomberman, guardian heroes, pocket fighter, xmen v sf, steam hearts (yes i actually like that game), game paradise,....i have to stop now as this could go on forever. Easily the most under estimated console ever.

SFC gets 2nd place, easily nintendo's finest hour, everything that came out of nintendo back then was pure magic. Playing mariokart for the first time has to be my greatest gaming memory. NeoGeo AES takes third place for me, agreed not for everybody but those who love the art of 2D fighters are at home here, Garou MotW, KOF 98, last blade, waku waku etc, bored with fighters? fine you still have super side kicks, windjammers, and the metal slug series. Neo Geo was 2D in its purest form, many of its games were a thing of beauty, i don't believe any console has or will ever come close to the passion that was shared amoung the console's developers and consumers.

frood42

Post by frood42 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:02 pm

Without a doubt, the Dreamcast. As of about 11 months ago it was my only connection to the internet at home.

A fine, fine piece of kit.

Adamski

Post by Adamski » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:46 pm

Mine has to be the N64 then PS1.

I just loved the chunky cartridges and you knew the game would be huge just by feeling the weight of them.Plus its got Ogre battle.

Then in my mind the PS1 comes next because of all the excellent RPGs it even eclipsed the SNES for this in my mind.Just for the excellent RPGs and SRPGs alone,that it had.Not forgetting the shear variety of content.

Gilderoy Lockheart

Post by Gilderoy Lockheart » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:37 pm

Gawd where to begin with this one ?

Sooo many great consoles over the years, each with their own merits and de-merits, hell I can remember trading in my snes to get a megadrive in the early 90's via some dodgy 2nd had shop because I sooo wanted to play sonic within about a week I regretted it. Part of me says that a Neo-Geo would be my favourite but I was never rich enough to afford one so I'll have to give that a miss.

For me,

1. SNES
2. Saturn - surely the best arcade to home conversions ever at its limited peak. Virtual fighter 2 / sega rally anyone ?
3. Atari 2600 purely because without it who knows where gaming would be now

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:16 pm

Easily the original Famicom, though that's mainly because it was my first console. It's also quite different to Western NES, and I regard them as two seperate entities, despite them sharing many games.

The amount of games available, the variety of the games, the dinky little cartridges and boxes, the sleek shape of the system, the bootleg scene, multicarts, hack-jobs, the birth of entire franchises, and the fact that most of the best games are still surpemely playable make it my favourite.

A close second would be the Dreamcast, which was the last hardware launch I was geniunely excited about. Plus it can emulate the Famicom. ;)

Then again, I also have a strange fascination with most console underdogs too. From my seat here I can see my 3DO, CD-i, and Jaguar, all of which I still regularly play... :?

To be honest, at the end of the retro day, they're all good fun.

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:21 pm

Well, I have to be honest, I was never big on consoles; I was always a computer fan, since I always wanted to do something a bit more than just play games.

However, my brother-in-law is a mega gamer and owns lots of consoles, many of which I've had regualar and frequent sessions on. I have to say my favourites are the Saturn and Dreamcast (I now own a Dreamcast), two massively underated consoles cut short in their prime. Shame. I wonder were SEGA would be today if they had had more success.

sparky

Post by sparky » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:51 pm

Has to be the Dreamcast for me, can still pack a punch when it comes to game playing (Ikaruga) and I feel none of the newer consoles of today offer anything revolutionary. The 360 sounds like my wifes hairdryer.

andy vaisey

Re:

Post by andy vaisey » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:31 pm

sparky wrote:Has to be the Dreamcast for me, can still pack a punch...
Indeed, I was amazed by the GFX quality of Ferrari 355 Challenge and wonder how more impressive things would have become racing wise had the DC had a longer lifespan so programmers could have wrung every last once of power out of it. 8)

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:46 pm

Playstation, without a doubt. An absolute mountain of garbage and very much overlooked as a classic machine because of it. But look a little deeper and you'll find a bunch of the most interesting, polished and downright compelling games ever made.

As has been mentioned, it's RPG roster matches and possibly even surpasses that of the SNES. For the Japanese machine you have an incredible lineup of quality shmups (I would argue that across the PS and PS2 you have easily the finest machine for a shmup fan, taking into account the PS2's backwards compatibility).

Despite being someone who grew up playing the Sega and Nintendo consoles to death, I can honestly say that the Playstation brought me more solid hours of addictive gameplay than any other console.

PoloPlayr

Post by PoloPlayr » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:44 am

1. SNES (So superior in every sense)
2. NES (Where's the 8-bit love, people?)
3. Sega Saturn (The SNES on stereoids)

Hi everyone by the way...I just joined :)

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:19 am

While I'm tempted to say Xbox (due to all the emulators and the delicious OutRun 2) or Dreamcast (because of the sheer variety of fantastic arcade games available for it), I think I'd actually plump for the Game Boy Advance. Seriously. However, the caveat is that it must be "with flash cart". My little SP is fabby: I have a tiny wee console on which—in an instant—I can play a dozen great games (Mario Kart Advance, Mario vs Donkey Kong, Sonic Advance, Chu Chu Rocket, Mr Driller, and more), a load of retro remakes, a pile of Game Boy, NES, SMS and Speccy games, and the excellent Colecovision version of H.E.R.O. And rather than being shackled to the TV, Mac or PC, the GBA can be played pretty much anywhere.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com