Rarity of a couple of games.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

QuantumCrayons

Re: Rarity of a couple of games.

Post by QuantumCrayons » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:28 pm

Breaking news, RetroGamer forum arguments given to schoolchildren studying for vocabulary test!

I guess RARE, CHEAP and GOOD can all go in a triangle; none of the three alone infer the other two, but the chances are if it fits two criteria, it won't fit the third.
I.e.
Rare + cheap = bad.
Cheap + good = common.
Good + rare = expensive.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:11 pm

Supernaut wrote:I've been looking into some of the rarer games that are out there via retrocollect.com and found some things that really confuse me.

According to them Mega Games 6 vol2 is Very Rare: http://www.retrocollect.com/search/game-5024.html

I have a copy of this so I looked up prices on ebay and theres a buy it now for about 10 pounds. Is the site wrong?
Nah it is is very rare, it isnt the Mega Games 1,2,3 with the red cover that are widely available

It's this

Vol 1 of this is much more readily available, but later pack in games/seperates like this and the sega sports 3-in-1 (as shown below) are increasingly hard to get hold of. However because the games on them are so common, relatively they arent worth so much

The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

K1NGARTH3R

Post by K1NGARTH3R » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:07 am

Mega Games 6 Vol.2 is quite hard to get hold of/find with not many copies appearing over the years hence why it's very rare - The price is cheap (£10) because it's not been hyped up like Mega Games 6 Vol.3 was on You Tube.

Alex Kidd in Miracle World sells for between £10 - £25 and is considered very rare because it was bundled with the Master System (In some packages) hence not a lot of people buying it.

I believe the information taken on Retro Collect is that that's been gathered over the years, this may change in the coming years deepening on how many copies of games start appearing.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:11 am

I've seen a couple of copies of 6 vol. 2 in the wild but I have NEVER seen that 3-game pack with Wimbledon on it!

Feel a bit sorry for the OP with all the thread deviation and whatnot, but much of this thread is comedy gold! :lol:

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:26 am

Oh my, what a discussion :lol:

As one of the two owners of RetroCollect let me quickly add my two cents ;)

1) The question of whether to ask here or right on RC

The OP has every right in the world to ask for feedback wherever he wants, I don't see why you need to critisize him for that :?: I want to add though that we're always open for feedback and everyone who's asked similar questions so far has gotten a friendly reply explaining things. If it turns out that a rarity is off, we will happily change it.

2) the actual question, are these rare?

The general rule on RetroCollect is that the rarity ratings refer to "complete in box" copies of a game. As such, games that are dirt common due to their pack-in nature can have surprisingly high rarity ratings. Examples include the NES 3in1 cart classified as extremely rare, our highest rating, due to a Spain and Austria/Switzerland only boxed release. Or the ones you brought up ;)

This also means that cardboard packaged games tend to have a higher average rarity than others, resulting in the Nintendo systems having higher average rarities than the Sega ones. Keep in mind that finding a cart can be a lot easier than finding a boxed game, even for games not released as pack-ins. As a rule of thumb, the higher the percentage of toddlers among potential owners, the lower the ratio of boxed versus lose copies. E.g. a Barbie, Thomas the Tank Engine or Mary-Kate and Ashley game on a Nintendo platform tends to be harder to find complete, especially in good condition, than a similarly successful more mature title.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:57 am

hydr0x wrote:The OP has every right in the world to ask for feedback wherever he wants, I don't see why you need to critisize him for that :?:
Go back and read my first post properly and you'll see I did no such thing.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:04 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
hydr0x wrote:The OP has every right in the world to ask for feedback wherever he wants, I don't see why you need to critisize him for that :?:
Once again dude, its not so much what you said, it's how you went about saying it, from what i can see anyway.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:14 am

retrosofer wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
Once again dude, its not so much what you said, it's how you went about saying it, from what i can see anyway.
I'm perfectly willing to accept the criticism that the wording of my initial post could have been less blunt and more diplomatic in tone. My intention, for the record, was no more than to ask a simple question. Those here suggesting that I was implying the OP somehow wasn't "genuine" (i.e. spamming another website) and/or that I was questioning the OP's right to post a query on this forum are, I assure you, very wide of the mark.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:21 am

Candidate for thread derailment of the year :lol:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:38 am

jdanddiet wrote:Candidate for thread derailment of the year :lol:
Tell me about it! Things were back on topic but then one or two others felt the need to have their say too so to drag things back off topic. At least retrosofer's post afforded me the opportunity to hopefully clear up any misunderstanding one or two here have. Hopefully that'll be the end of it and things can get back on topic now. :D

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:04 pm

JazzFunk wrote:I have NEVER seen that 3-game pack with Wimbledon on it!
I'd never seen it either until it came up on ebay. I asked about it on here, and managed to get a cart only version. It's not bad as it goes. I like Ultimate Soccer as it's daft and Wimbledon is alright, too
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Good grief this is getting sooooo boring.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:45 pm

People just need to stop responding to attention-seeking trolls.

Not that hard, like :)