Fed Up of Being Nickel & Dimed This Gen!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Post Reply
User avatar
retrosofer
Posts: 974
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:11 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Fed Up of Being Nickel & Dimed This Gen!

Post by retrosofer » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:50 pm

I know this has being talked about in various different topics but thought i'd create a thread on this. It seems like everyone is pretty much fed up of the nickel & dime practices of publishers and devs these days in the gaming industry, yet it continues. I vote with my wallet, but i know there are plenty who dont, and i guess if the publishers can make money out of bad practise, then they'll continue to do such things, but it doesn't make it right, or mean that they should do so. But restricting content on a disk that you have just paid £39.99 on day 1 release, and then pretending that the day 1 release day DLC (which is a bad practise in itself) is just that, when in actual fact its just a code to unlock that restricked content on the disk, is just plain wrong. Then there is the addition of asking customers to fork out another however-much on top of the £39.99 you just paid, is also somthing i loathe this Gen.

What happened to just releasing a game and that being the main product and thats it? What happend to treating customers with respect instead of cash cows? Surly if devs & publishers cant survive just on the main games alone these days, then there is somthing seriously wrong with their business models and attitude towards customers. If they cant survive on just the games alone, then the whole console business needs to change. Its a good thing in my oppinion that Nintendo didn't compete in trying to make a graphical powerhose of a console with the Wii, and i dont care if the gfx and power of the WiiU isn't really suped up either. If the WiiU just brings the system into HD then thats fine by me, surly a system like this should bring dev costs down somewhat? Which i think is somthing the industy really needs.

User avatar
The Angry Jock
Posts: 4007
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:58 pm
Location: In about it

Re: Fed Up of Being Nickel & Dimed This Gen!

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:56 pm

Is there a rota for posting this topic?
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Fed Up of Being Nickel & Dimed This Gen!

Post by The Laird » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:14 pm

The Angry Jock wrote:Is there a rota for posting this topic?
Yes. It's your turn a week on Friday.

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: Fed Up of Being Nickel & Dimed This Gen!

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:22 pm

retrosofer wrote:... If the WiiU just brings the system into HD then thats fine by me...
Except Wii U will, as has already been clarified by Ninty, herald in the era of the DLC nickel and dime approach on a Ninty console too now.

I'm not certain how it'll work given that Wii U, last I read, will only have 8GB (iirc) flash memory storage capacity with no HDD. Maybe owners will need to also buy SD cards like they did on Wii to increase the console's storage capacity to a decent level. :roll:
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

User avatar
The Angry Jock
Posts: 4007
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:58 pm
Location: In about it

Re: Fed Up of Being Nickel & Dimed This Gen!

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:
The Angry Jock wrote:Is there a rota for posting this topic?
Yes. It's your turn a week on Friday.
I'm already down to post about the most uncomfortable controller....
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

User avatar
retrosofer
Posts: 974
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:11 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Fed Up of Being Nickel & Dimed This Gen!

Post by retrosofer » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:37 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
retrosofer wrote:... If the WiiU just brings the system into HD then thats fine by me...
Except Wii U will, as has already been clarified by Ninty, herald in the era of the DLC nickel and dime approach on a Ninty console too now.

I'm not certain how it'll work given that Wii U, last I read, will only have 8GB (iirc) flash memory storage capacity with no HDD. Maybe owners will need to also buy SD cards like they did on Wii to increase the console's storage capacity to a decent level. :roll:
I know this, and its the only part of the WiiU i'm worried about tbh. I'm kind of hoping that Ninty will be really controlling and frugal about it and not let these things get as out of hand as it has on the PS3 and 360 this gen, but will have to wait and see on that one. Another thing though, if Ninty are really restrictive & controlling about DLC on the WiiU, will this put third party devs & publishers off the platform?

For me DLC seemed such a promissing thing in 06, along with the whole online side on console gaming, but for me the promise hasn't lived up to the reality. While there are still many great aspects of taking a console online, the whole nickel & dime generation wasn't somthing i had forseen.

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: Fed Up of Being Nickel & Dimed This Gen!

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:18 pm

retrosofer wrote:... I'm kind of hoping that Ninty will be really controlling and frugal about it and not let these things get as out of hand as it has on the PS3 and 360 this gen, but will have to wait and see on that one. Another thing though, if Ninty are really restrictive & controlling about DLC on the WiiU, will this put third party devs & publishers off the platform?
Absolutely spot-on.

In theory it'd be nice if Ninty were stricter somehow with third-party publishers when it comes to DLC on Wii U. In practice though, it seems like they're making a rod for their own back.

For instance, let's consider a future release in a big name franchise such as CoD/Battlefield/Batman et al. PS360 and eventually PS4 and next-gen Xbox owners will still be able to download additional map packs etc and will have no problems with storage capacity even when the DLC is of several gigabytes in size. On the Wii U you'll have that pathetic 8GB storage capacity which will soon fill up in no time at all. I presume Wii U will accept SD cards which may alleviate the problem somewhat but it's far from an ideal solution.

Yes, 32GB SD cards are getting cheaper all the time but to download loads of extra game content Wii U owners will either need to be deleting content (with the option to re-download at a later date for free) or be swapping out SD cards. What a pain in the backside that'll be relative to owning a PS360 or next-gen Xbox/PlayStation. I've had a 500GB HDD in my PS3 for a few years now and it only cost around £30-£35. The original Xbox had an HDD in it and that came out in 2001 for heaven's sake so what on earth Ninty are doing in 2012 by lumbering their next-gen home console with a measly 8GB flash memory I do not know.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

User avatar
crusto
Posts: 5586
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: Fed Up of Being Nickel & Dimed This Gen!

Post by crusto » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:17 pm

^ That there is a good point. (for a villa fan :wink: )
Image

Eat your nans pants

User avatar
Flint
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:18 am

Re: Fed Up of Being Nickel & Dimed This Gen!

Post by Flint » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:25 pm

I’m more concerned that everybody just goes along with it; if nobody bought this crap they wouldn’t do it.
I know a full scale boycott will never work but surely people could hold off buying the game opening weekend and wait a little longer to download the DLC?

Sadly you only have to look at that Call of Duty boycott screenshot to know most people won’t do a damn thing.

User avatar
Misery
Posts: 2236
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: Fed Up of Being Nickel & Dimed This Gen!

Post by Misery » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:26 pm

This kinda crap is exactly why I've been ignoring most games this gen, and likely wont buy any of the three consoles for the next gen. Well, ok, definitely not the only reason, the lack of any games that I give a damn about certainly is a big one, but this doesnt help.

The problem is that "voting with your wallet" doesnt actually accomplish much (if at all). Because there are still going to be so many idiots that end up buying whatever it is.... particularly with games like COD or whatever it is.... that the stupid publishers will do a little happy dance and immediately scream at the devs to crap out even more DLC.

Hell, some of it is getting REALLY blatant recently (Crapcom) to the point where it's super duper obvious when they're doing it, with day 1 DLC, but they dont care, because they KNOW they can get away with it.

Pretty damn stupid.


I'm happy mostly sticking with PC, indie, and iOS gaming. The sorts where I can pay all of 10 dollars and get some 300 hours of gameplay, as opposed to paying Crapcom 60 dollars and getting the equivilent of a sack of bees (magic bees which sting you and then go back to the hive and fart out money instead of honey) in response.

User avatar
MikeFishcake
Posts: 1176
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:10 am
Location: Manchester/Stockport
Contact:

Re: Fed Up of Being Nickel & Dimed This Gen!

Post by MikeFishcake » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:59 pm

Misery wrote:(magic bees which sting you and then go back to the hive and fart out money instead of honey) in response.
I'd like some of these bees please.

User avatar
SJ_Sathanas
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:16 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Fed Up of Being Nickel & Dimed This Gen!

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:48 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
retrosofer wrote:... I'm kind of hoping that Ninty will be really controlling and frugal about it and not let these things get as out of hand as it has on the PS3 and 360 this gen, but will have to wait and see on that one. Another thing though, if Ninty are really restrictive & controlling about DLC on the WiiU, will this put third party devs & publishers off the platform?
Absolutely spot-on.

In theory it'd be nice if Ninty were stricter somehow with third-party publishers when it comes to DLC on Wii U. In practice though, it seems like they're making a rod for their own back.

For instance, let's consider a future release in a big name franchise such as CoD/Battlefield/Batman et al. PS360 and eventually PS4 and next-gen Xbox owners will still be able to download additional map packs etc and will have no problems with storage capacity even when the DLC is of several gigabytes in size. On the Wii U you'll have that pathetic 8GB storage capacity which will soon fill up in no time at all. I presume Wii U will accept SD cards which may alleviate the problem somewhat but it's far from an ideal solution.

Yes, 32GB SD cards are getting cheaper all the time but to download loads of extra game content Wii U owners will either need to be deleting content (with the option to re-download at a later date for free) or be swapping out SD cards. What a pain in the backside that'll be relative to owning a PS360 or next-gen Xbox/PlayStation. I've had a 500GB HDD in my PS3 for a few years now and it only cost around £30-£35. The original Xbox had an HDD in it and that came out in 2001 for heaven's sake so what on earth Ninty are doing in 2012 by lumbering their next-gen home console with a measly 8GB flash memory I do not know.
Perhaps they're considering some form of online hosting, kinda like steam I guess ? Or the sort of thing I hear apple are doing with the phone.

User avatar
Negative Creep
Posts: 3842
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:59 am
Location: Rochester, Kent

Re: Fed Up of Being Nickel & Dimed This Gen!

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:22 am

It seems that even Capcom have realised that one disc DLC was a step too far.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch ... c-dlc.aspx

DLC annoys me in general, since it's a blatant way to get more money and hurt the second hand market, but on disc DLC is a disgrace. It's like buying a brand new car equipped with sat nav, but then having to pay extra for the dealer to switch it on
Image

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: Fed Up of Being Nickel & Dimed This Gen!

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:30 am

CIH wrote:Perhaps they're considering some form of online hosting, kinda like steam I guess ? Or the sort of thing I hear apple are doing with the phone.
Maybe, but this is Nintendo we're talking about. The company with a less than progressive attitude to anything online. They may now be finally starting to get with the programme with Nintendo Network but then again this is the company that will be launching their next-gen home console in 2012 and will be sticking to using their retarded Friends Codes system.

With Wii U Ninty are promising us a "robust online experience" but yet Miyamoto has already admitted the company can't get an online gaming mode working sufficiently well enough for the console's Pikmin 3 so they've canned the online mode.

Chris Grant, editor in chief of gaming website Polygon, has commented,
"It's insane to me that nearly 10 yrs after Xbox Live, and nearly 20 yrs after I played Doom over a modem, Nintendo still doesn't get online."

So maybe Ninty will have some sort of cloud based storage system in place for Wii U but given their record I won't be holding my breath!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

User avatar
Fightersmegamix
Posts: 3425
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 1:41 pm

Re: Fed Up of Being Nickel & Dimed This Gen!

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:54 am

Nickel and dimed? Penny pinching :wink:

The problem with the games industry is that too many people complain about prices and DLC yet expect new games and better graphics. Even without the graphical upgrades there's been little inflation increases over the past few years. I wouldn't defend everything that publishers do, but if you have 400 people working on games for several years and within two weeks of release everyone expects it to have dropped to £17.99 they're going to do what they can to generate extra income.

The day 1 DLC complaint is just silly. DLC has to be developed at the same time as the main game, its not as if they will just keep a development team hanging around on the off chance the game is successful then start again from scratch doing extra levels. Does the fact it's on disk really matter. You only paid for the main game so what's your problem?

Why do gamers have such a sense of entiltlement?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests