Giana sisters fans?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Nemesis

Re: Giana sisters fans?

Post by Nemesis » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:54 am

slacey1070 wrote:I don't understand anyone berating it because it was a knock off....
Indeed, I didn't hear anybody complaining when all those Space Invader/PAC Man/Donkey Kong clones appeared.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:16 am

Nemesis wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:I don't understand anyone berating it because it was a knock off....
Indeed, I didn't hear anybody complaining when all those Space Invader/PAC Man/Donkey Kong clones appeared.
Yeah? Name one Pacman clone. The only reason GS is way more (in)famous is because of the way it was marketed.

The brothers are history indeed! :roll:

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:50 am

theantmeister wrote:
Nemesis wrote:
Yeah? Name one Pacman clone.:
Hungry Horace - ZX Spectrum
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

clarance

Post by clarance » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:23 pm

I had a 'copy' on the Amiga - I was totally unaware of the hype back then, and also totally unaware of Mario as well. Thought it was a PD game to be honest, pretty poor stuff.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:19 pm

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:45 pm

Oooooo! :mrgreen:

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:51 pm

In the case of knock off arcade machines it was to cut costs in getting the game into arcades. Things get copied all the time , isnt necessarily a bad thing.

Oasis made a career out of copying the Beatles - still had loads of fans. I could go on.

Either way - I personally dont like the game but its each to their own. Mario has been ripped off before and I'm sure the concept may not exactly be original anyway.

TMR

Post by TMR » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:59 pm

theantmeister wrote:
Nemesis wrote:
Yeah? Name one Pacman clone. The only reason GS is way more (in)famous is because of the way it was marketed.
Oh, that's easy! Jelly Monsters on the VIC 20 or Jawbreaker on the Atari 8-bit. That said, both got their publishers into legal hot water but not because of the marketing. =-)

(Or if you want one that didn't end up with legal issues, how about Cosmic Cruncher on the VIC?)

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:48 pm

Never played Giana Sisters back in the day only recently on the plus 4 and the DS.. The DS version is fab I actually prefer it to Mario, took me ages to finish it, still can't understand people saying its a rip off, don't get me started on the identical Fifa games, with update team names..

Didn't Rainbow Arts also do Kaktis and get that pulled by Activision for being a lot better conversion of R Type then their official version?
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

applesaucex

Post by applesaucex » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:49 am

There is something charming about GS that I really like. I think there is another one being made now, actually.

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:01 am

Shinobi wrote:Never played Giana Sisters back in the day only recently on the plus 4 and the DS.
I wish you didn't mention the dire Plus/4 version. I can't believe that they thought they'd get away with such a poor freeware game by calling it Giana Sister (no final 's'). :oops: :lol:

I owned the original C64 cassette release back in the day, bought it just before Sintendo banned it. Wish I still had it as it's worth a mint now. I used to play it constantly :(

merman

Post by merman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:01 pm

Mayhem wrote:
merman wrote:Blame US Gold for its marketing strategy, not the original designer (rest in peace Armin) or Rainbow Arts. That's what got it banned.
I've never been entirely certain if the banning in the UK is what led to it being banned in Germany as well. The story, as I heard it, is that a Nintendo representative saw the game on display at a computer show. Cue legal action. The game got withdrawn on all formats from all regions as a result. Only the C64 version (mostly the German release as it came out in 1987) was widely distributed, the Amiga version came out around the same time as the C64 version launched in the UK according to a German mate of mine. Hence that is as rare as the UK C64 version of the game.
But it's no coincidence that US Gold's marketing (Move over brothers, here come the sisters) and the early UK reviews mentioning the similarities appeared before the ban came into effect.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:01 pm

Just been going through a big black bag full of games I got from StayAwhile back in ummm whenever the Manchester Play Expo was... and although I'd been told it was in there (and not being able to find it) - just like magic it has appeared. Will be grabbing one of my C64's later and seeing if Giana Sisters still works.
The cover was never going to cheer Nintendo up with the comment mentioned already 'The Brothers are History'! The Sisters are damn ugly though :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:54 pm

Pac Man clone - Gobble a Ghost. One of the first games I ever played.

I had a hacked C64 version on Gianna Sisters which had Mario sprites in it. He was always big Mario though, he didn't change size after eating a mushroom. I never really liked it much.
A couple of years later I got a NES and the real thing was far better. Some of that may be due to the control method though - a NES controller is a far better way to control Mario than a Quickshot 2.

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:13 pm

i have only ever played the Nintendo DS version and it feels like a true platformer, in that the only thing you do is jumping on enemies, traverse the levels and gather diamonds

nothing wrong with that, because i thought it was quite a good game and very easy to dip in a level or 2 because they are quite short