Giana sisters fans?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

applesaucex

Giana sisters fans?

Post by applesaucex » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:21 am

I am a total GS fan, and I know there are tons out there that loved the Great Giana Sisters, but I'm wondering, how many people around are waiting on a new title? Is there a GS fan base hiding away somewhere? In addition to the mobile game which I thought was great, and the DS version, there hasn't been much talk. I heard a new title was in the works, has anybody heard anything else? That would be a sight for sure.

theantmeister

Re: Giana sisters fans?

Post by theantmeister » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:06 pm

I've never played it, but...The Great Giana Sisters' reputation irritates the censored out of me.

It is nothing but a Mario clone, right? It is a total rip-off. And just because some snide little cynical publisher set it up as some kind of anti-establishment renegade, being put down by "the man" (i.e. Nintendo) it has this reputation now. And Nintendo, of course, walked straight into the trap by banning it. This is the only reason we're still talking about it.

The developer wasn't some white knight in shining armour, saving you from the tyranny of The Big N - he was just some greedy censored poking the controversy bear for profit.

*Whew* Sorry about that, had to get that off my chest. Carry on with the thread.

applesaucex

Post by applesaucex » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:13 pm

The DS version and the mobile version are super, super fun, and as opposed to the C64 version have created a significant fan base, and what fueled it was exactly what you are talking about. I think it's kind of interesting seeing the overwhelming love for the game in the discussion threads of various game reviews, and the reviews themselves, as opposed to only what people know of the original great giana sisters and their lawsuit. The whole thing created a cult-classic following. It is such an interesting little part of gaming history to look into, thats why I was wondering if there was anyone around the retro gamer forums who was a fan, or even hearing rumors of a new installment of the game.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:16 pm

Ordered the DS version yesterday funnily enough. Looking forward to playing it too.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:07 pm

I've the 'new' GS game on iOS. It's essentially the same game as the DS version, afaik. Decent game, if perhaps a little easy.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

merman

Post by merman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:42 pm

theantmeister wrote:I've never played it, but...The Great Giana Sisters' reputation irritates the censored out of me.

It is nothing but a Mario clone, right? It is a total rip-off. And just because some snide little cynical publisher set it up as some kind of anti-establishment renegade, being put down by "the man" (i.e. Nintendo) it has this reputation now. And Nintendo, of course, walked straight into the trap by banning it. This is the only reason we're still talking about it.

The developer wasn't some white knight in shining armour, saving you from the tyranny of The Big N - he was just some greedy censored poking the controversy bear for profit.

*Whew* Sorry about that, had to get that off my chest. Carry on with the thread.

Hi. Someone will be along to guide you back to reality, since your misguided post sent you so far away.

The original was created as a homage to a great game - if you are going to play like something, why not play like something good. There are significant differences if you play for more than 30 seconds with the blinkers off.

Blame US Gold for its marketing strategy, not the original designer (rest in peace Armin) or Rainbow Arts. That's what got it banned.

*lovingly cradles his tape original*
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:58 pm

^nice post

There's so many homages out there, think theyre great. Would prefer to buy the original but if it's not available on a particular platform the homage's are great

Got this on ios and really like it

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:32 pm

psj3809 wrote:^nice post

There's so many homages out there, think theyre great. Would prefer to buy the original but if it's not available on a particular platform the homage's are great

Got this on ios and really like it
Yeah saw it on the iTunes store before ordering the DS version as I find physical controls suit this kind of game better than capacitive touch screens.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

applesaucex

Post by applesaucex » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:36 pm

I'm still waiting for another game to come around. Maybe some kind of fan site too...there seems to be bits and pieces of places for people to share GS love but so scattered all over the place.

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:47 pm

merman wrote:
theantmeister wrote:I've never played it, but...The Great Giana Sisters' reputation irritates the censored out of me.

Hi. Someone will be along to guide you back to reality, since your misguided post sent you so far away.

The original was created as a homage to a great game - if you are going to play like something, why not play like something good. There are significant differences if you play for more than 30 seconds with the blinkers off.

Blame US Gold for its marketing strategy, not the original designer (rest in peace Armin) or Rainbow Arts. That's what got it banned.

*lovingly cradles his tape original*
I've played the game a considerable amount - in fact I played it before I actually played SMB - and I have to disagree. The game is about as shameless a knock-off as you can get, every single facet of the Mario games is reproduced almost exactly. Except for the masterful level design, which Rainbow Arts didn't seem to think was worth bothering with, instead seeming to slap the levels together almost at random. And the graphics - on the Amiga version anyway - were horrible. The main characters looked like a child's DPaint doodle. Not only is it not as good as the Mario games it apes, it isn't even as good as a lot of other 8/16-bit computer platformers of the era (Zool 2 and Superfrog make it look like a crude PD game).

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:30 pm

merman wrote:Blame US Gold for its marketing strategy, not the original designer (rest in peace Armin) or Rainbow Arts. That's what got it banned.
I've never been entirely certain if the banning in the UK is what led to it being banned in Germany as well. The story, as I heard it, is that a Nintendo representative saw the game on display at a computer show. Cue legal action. The game got withdrawn on all formats from all regions as a result. Only the C64 version (mostly the German release as it came out in 1987) was widely distributed, the Amiga version came out around the same time as the C64 version launched in the UK according to a German mate of mine. Hence that is as rare as the UK C64 version of the game.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:27 pm

Mayhem wrote:
merman wrote:Blame US Gold for its marketing strategy, not the original designer (rest in peace Armin) or Rainbow Arts. That's what got it banned.
I've never been entirely certain if the banning in the UK is what led to it being banned in Germany as well. The story, as I heard it, is that a Nintendo representative saw the game on display at a computer show. Cue legal action. The game got withdrawn on all formats from all regions as a result. Only the C64 version (mostly the German release as it came out in 1987) was widely distributed, the Amiga version came out around the same time as the C64 version launched in the UK according to a German mate of mine. Hence that is as rare as the UK C64 version of the game.
How widely distributed were the Atari ST, Amstrad CPC and MSX 2 versions?

I've never seen a boxed retail release of any of those three versions in the wild so I'm just curious that's all.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:28 pm

No idea there. Best guess would be the game was converted to the Amstrad and released by US Gold in the UK around the same time the C64 version came out, and the Atari ST version launched with the Amiga version. So both would be incredibly hard to find. I've not seen an original in the flesh of either mind you.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

ootini

Post by ootini » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:52 am

GS is a knock off, plain and simple. BUT it's important to remember that the games inspiration; SMB was not available on the systems that GS was made for. So for those of us that owned these systems GS was the closest to SMB we were going to get without having to save up for a NES.

I had a crack of the Amiga version. I sought it out for the very reason stated above. Personally I thought it was shyte, but my little bro and sis loved it and played it constantly. Especially when I'd arrived home from school with a lock of copied 3.5" discs containing other, better games.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:18 am

I don't understand anyone berating it because it was a knock off.... Yes, it was a SMB rip, so what? It played well.... and just cause it upset Nintendo doesn't make it a bad game... the Amiga version was pretty good... for that type of game that I don't personally like that much.

The fact it was banned/withdrawn made it a more important title than it was and grew the cult of it - but that was down to Nintendo having a hissy fit.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.