When does the PS2 become "retro"?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

When does the PS2 become "retro"?

It already is
43%
When new consoles are no longer sold
2%
When new commercial software is no longer released
18%
A few years away yet
37%

Total votes: 60

DreamcastRIP

Re: When does the PS2 become "retro"?

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:48 am

batman877 wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
batman877 wrote:The Domark version of 'The Empire Strikes Back' was released on the Spectrum, Amstrad and C64 in 1988. In the year 2000 did you consider this to be retro?
Were FIFA 2000 or FIFA 2001 released for the Speccy, Amstrad and C64 back in the year 2000? :wink:

Or if you're sticking by this '12 year rule' were,

* FIFA International Soccer or FIFA Soccer 95 released on the Speccy and C64 in 1994?
* FIFA Soccer 96 or FIFA 97 released on the Amstrad CPC in 1996?

Or were,
* International Superstar Soccer or International Superstar Soccer Deluxe released on the Speccy or C64 in 1995?
No offence intended, but I don't think you understand my point.

There is no '12 year rule' - I'm just saying that surely a game released 12 years ago could be considered retro - some adults would have played those games when they were children. I only mention 12 years because that's how old the oldest PS2 game is.

The PS2 console isn't retro... a 12 year old game for it is. Just my opinion.
I was merely humouring your logic of citing such a game. I don't believe I misunderstood anything based on the wording of your original post.

I personally consider using the age of a game in relation to the age of the person playing the game is a largely misguided way of attempting to define what is retro. For instance, a 16 year college student may have owned their PS3 since they were in their first year of secondary school aged 11. Such a person may think of when they were eleven as being a lifetime ago so it could feasibly follow that they'd consider PS3 games such as MotorStorm, Virtua Fighter 5, Resistance: Fall of Man and Ridge Racer 7 as being 'retro'. I suspect most here wouldn't class PS3 or any of those games as being 'retro'!

As has been stated numerous times in this and sooooooo many other similar threads the meaning of 'retro' is subjective and a personal thing. Not that the debate won't drag on forever mind you...
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Arque

Post by Arque » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:42 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:In about 20 years time. Maybe more. It'll be a while anyway, since even PS1 isn't retro yet.
Exactly, since Retro Gamer does not recognise the PS1 as retro (Are we there yet?), there's no way the PS2 is... :shock:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:43 am

noobish hat wrote:By the look of things, the 360 and PS3 could drag THIS generation out for 12 years, then we'd be classing games from this gen as retro. Perfect!

Could I make a suggestion? People who want the mag to cover more recent games, why don't you just buy GamesTM, I think it would be right up your alley.
I used to but GamesTM but it wasn't retro enough for me, not enough ps2 coverage
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:53 am

Arque wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:In about 20 years time. Maybe more. It'll be a while anyway, since even PS1 isn't retro yet.
Exactly, since Retro Gamer does not recognise the PS1 as retro (Are we there yet?), there's no way the PS2 is... :shock:
Since when? There is loads of PS1 stuff in Retro Gamer.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:56 am

Yeah, Wipeout, Ridge Racer and Resident Evil, to name just three games, have been in the magazine. Sure, two of those were also on the Saturn, but as I said earlier, you can't consider the version on the Saturn to be retro but not the PS1 release.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:01 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Liamh1982 wrote:^ Only pic I could find:
Your wizardry with Google Image Search puts me to shame! :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:34 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:
Arque wrote:
Since when? There is loads of PS1 stuff in Retro Gamer.
That doesn't make them right ;)

I don't really consider PS1 and beyond retro, but I don't have a problem with the games being covered in the same manner. 'Old and Retro Gamer' doesn't quite have the same ring to it, so Retro Gamer it is.

Providing the articles are well written and entertaining, its all good. As long as they keep covering the things that I do consider retro, my sub shall remain. Hell, I used to buy PC Zone for its 1 page of coverage and I kept buying Edge for years due to the couple of pages a month they had.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:49 pm

I use to buy edge for their retrospective and "making of" too. That, and Redeye. TBH I couldn't muster much enthusiasm for much more than that.

steve82

Post by steve82 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:38 pm

Who knows?

but the ps2 is the console to own in my opinion. with i dont know how many thousands of games available for it you will allways bump into a game on your travels that you have never heard of before. and when they are only 1 and 2 pound each it is worth picking anything up

[edited by mod - please don't work round the swear filter in that manner]

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:43 am

DreamcastRIP wrote: I was merely humouring your logic of citing such a game.
Fair enough :)
DreamcastRIP wrote:I personally consider using the age of a game in relation to the age of the person playing the game is a largely misguided way of attempting to define what is retro. For instance, a 16 year college student may have owned their PS3 since they were in their first year of secondary school aged 11. Such a person may think of when they were eleven as being a lifetime ago so it could feasibly follow that they'd consider PS3 games such as MotorStorm, Virtua Fighter 5, Resistance: Fall of Man and Ridge Racer 7 as being 'retro'. I suspect most here wouldn't class PS3 or any of those games as being 'retro'!
It's certainly not the only way to measure it but it's not misguided. Nostalgia is at it's highest when looking back at ones childhood. Personally, I have much fonder memories of playing on my Amstrad as a child than I do playing on my PS1 at University. Of course, I can only really go on my own experiences and I could be wrong!

Just to be clear, I don't want Retro Gamer to be filled with PS2 stuff... but I certainly don't want it to be ignored just because some readers don't think it's retro enough. The magazine has got the balance just right for me - the future classics section is excellent and I do want the PS2 mentioned when talking about a series games (like Merman pointed out earlier!)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:05 am

batman877 wrote:... The magazine has got the balance just right for me - the future classics section is excellent and I do want the PS2 mentioned when talking about a series games (like Merman pointed out earlier!)
Hear, hear! :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:47 am

Whilst I love the magazine unconditionally I do feel the balance very slightly 8 bit orientated and I would like to see a slight tilt towards more 32 bit coverage, but this is just my personal preference and does not hinder my enjoyment of a great magazine. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:54 am

gman72 wrote:Whilst I love the magazine unconditionally I do feel the balance very slightly 8 bit orientated and I would like to see a slight tilt towards more 32 bit coverage, but this is just my personal preference and does not hinder my enjoyment of a great magazine. :D

j/k :lol:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:52 pm

What on earth is that?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:12 pm

gman72 wrote:What on earth is that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_re ... 8O.B.N..29