Anyone went video gaming at relatives/friends place?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

P-Head

Post by P-Head » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:22 am

I used to hang out at a mate's house playing Playstation back in the 90s. I was really impressed at the time by it. Used to play a lot of Tekken and Soul Edge. Happy days.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:35 am

When I was a young lad my best mate's dad was into PCs alot so we used spend a lot of time playing Command and Conquer, Sam & Max and Day of the Tentacle. Eventually my family got one and I didn't touch consoles for a while......until my parents got fed up of upgrading the computer every year and told me I'd have to pay to do it.....and I got a second hand Dreamcast instead. Not the best first console, but I loved Crazy Taxi and Sonic Adventure, and at the time, Toy Commander.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:52 am

ISS Pro Evo 2 on PS1, must've spent thousands of hours on that with a mate, he'd get World Select, i'd get Euro Select. Thing with the game though, you know when you're playing a 2 player game, particularly football, partiularly that game, you can get a sense that the comp has decided to handicap one team almost. you can feel it in the first few seconds of the game, none of your passes ever reach their intended target, your players and their responses feel sluggish, used to censored me off big time. When you felt it you just knew your tactic for that game was the long ball, keeping a clean sheet was the best chance you had as 9 times outta 10 when you had that feeling on the pad, there'd be a bucketload o goals!
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:18 am

My mate Jase and I were hardcore into games for many years,he is still into gaming but keeps up with current Gen and anything last gen or retro gets chucked, usually at me :) or fed to his children :(
the kids have so far polished off Castlevania SON ps1 in Mint condition,Final Fantasys 7 through to X2,Suikoden 1 and 2 all in Mint condition.
He keeps his games on a shelf until the next gen arrives then either I or the kids get them.
Its sad to see such great games going down that 3 yr old gullet.
I saved his copy of Knights of the old republic (Xbox) from a chomping though.

He is my gaming friend console wise, though PC wise I go to a regular LAN so I have a lot of techie gaming pals.
Retro when it wasnt cool

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:18 pm

thl wrote: this guy named Dan Smith
I once knew a guy called Dan Smith too...he was a prat as well.....

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:22 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:I never really went round to anyones house to use their computer/console, they all came round to mine ;)
Same here, remember my little 5 year old cousin coming round to play 'Postman Pat' on my C64 and pill popper I woul have been about 12 when he visited. I used to babysit him, he would be in his room all night playing his Master System - he did show me a McDonalds game or his NES. He was a good kid to babysit, I'd just end up sitting on his rug watching him, fetching endless pop and bags of crisp.

I was allowed when I was 10 to a have friend/boyfriend in my room to play Atari 2600, his Dad used to drink in our pub, and he would come in with him on Saturday - so basically that got him out of his Dads hair.

Vaguely remember talking to some lad in our local park when I was like 11/12 and he told me he had an Amiga, he lived in the local school bungalow with his parents. He was impressed by me have games knowledge and remember watching him playing snooker on his Amiga and thinking when I was older I would have one too. Nice guy, older wasn't his girlfriend or anything, just had that in common. His Mum would bring treat to his room for us. Good Days.

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:36 pm

Was talking to my mate about this today and she reminded me of how we used to play 'Tomb Raider' and 'Who wants to be a Millionaire' and tetris themed gems games on her kids PS1 whilst they were asleep. Happy times :lol:

thl

Post by thl » Wed May 09, 2007 5:21 pm

Sureshot wrote:When I was younger, I had a habit of going to relatives' houses and asking where their computers were a few minutes in the door. Got me out of their hair in any case :P
I remember my younger brother's friend use to do it all the time. Must be back in the early 90s.

After opening the door, he asked: 'Can I play with your computer?' :lol:

mel the bell

Post by mel the bell » Wed May 09, 2007 5:54 pm

i remember gaming at the following

a mates house playing on his atari vcs - smurfs, combat, yars revenge , haunted house? among others

loads of mates houses playing on speccys, prolly about 10 mates houses - including one i remeber playing on hunchback on a tiny tiny black and white tv lol, another introduced me to the excellent crapness that is the devils of the deep

a mates house playing on his vic20

a mates house......round the corner from the mate aboves, playing on his bbc frak mainly :)

a couple of mates, well one was a mate of a mate (a bus ride away) he used to get all the freshly copied c64 games as they came out, used to play kung fu master and beach head a lot.

a couple of mates houses for atari st, 1 used to copy us st games he used to get em via the ads in the backs of mags, infact i recently remet him on another forum and he still remembers that and was taking the censored out of it :P
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Thu May 10, 2007 4:58 am

I used to go to my cousins house to play his C64 and then he would come round my place to play my CPC464. It was great because he used to have mainly US Gold games for his C64 & I had loads of Ocean stuff for my CPC, so we had what was best on each system.
Eventually he got an Atari 1040ST when I still had my CPC so I was gaming more over his place. Then I got an Amiga500 so he then used to come round more to my place, he got an Amiga500 later on so it was all evens.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu May 10, 2007 9:39 am

Sensi leagues on my mate's Amiga....about fifteen of us playing!

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Thu May 10, 2007 12:44 pm

Hi everyone!

Me and my friends definatley had Spectrum sessions.

We were all born between 1980 and 1983, as we went to the same Infants, Junior and Secondary schools, some of course older and younger than others.

I got my 48K in 1986 when I was 5, and my whole world opened up! My friends got theirs around the same sort of time too.

My biggest 'friend' gaming memory was attending my friend Richard's 7th birthday party and playing Knightmare on the Spectrum for the first time.

All of us always lent each other tapes, and went round to eachothers houses to watch Children's ITV, have dinner, then play Spectrum games.

21 years on, some of us still meet to play Speccy games!
Last edited by SpecChum81 on Fri May 11, 2007 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Press Play On Tape

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Thu May 10, 2007 12:48 pm

During the early thru mid 80's I used to go to my neighbours, and we would play on his Atari 2600 (a woody!).

Later in the 80's (87-89) I would go round to a friend from Scouts, and we would play on his Speccy 48k.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:21 pm

I used to go round to my cousins when my other set of cousins were visiting for family meals. Invariably we used to play SF2 on the SNES, I kicked all their ar$es every single game we played, they were rubbish and pathetic. I crushed them into the earth like the worms they were............

Not that I mention that at all whenever I speak to them now............. :lol:

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:24 pm

thl wrote:
Sureshot wrote:When I was younger, I had a habit of going to relatives' houses and asking where their computers were a few minutes in the door. Got me out of their hair in any case :P
I remember my younger brother's friend use to do it all the time. Must be back in the early 90s.

After opening the door, he asked: 'Can I play with your computer?' :lol:
That's exactly what I used to do, I'd ask where the computer was, if they didn't have one, I'd ask if I could watch a video or TV.