Anyone went video gaming at relatives/friends place?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thl

Anyone went video gaming at relatives/friends place?

Post by thl » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:09 pm

The year might have been around 1988/1989. Still very young that time, I remember visiting a lot of relatives, neighbours and close friends quite often. Usually went with my parents, brothers and sisters, I didn't know what to expect at their place.

I remember a lot of grown-ups would spent a lot of time talking and drinking tea. For most of us who were so little back then, we probably sit down and watch TV or play some toys. It wasn't until when your friends or cousins (who would be around) are likely to change the scene by leading us to their bedroom. I had no clue what's in the bedroom, but believe it or not I saw a game console. :)

One of the earliest memory was when my distant cousins had a computer, believe to be the Commodore 64. Games I've played on that machine was Bazooka Bill, Elevator Action, and this SCUBA game (which I can't remember what the title is). Also I should not forget a moment when the TV broke down in the middle of the game, which I didn't expect it to happended. :lol:

I really enjoyed that machine, but overall it was such great time back then. :D

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:38 pm

When I got my first computer, the C64, I befriended a guy in my class whom I never really had any contact with. I heard he had a C64, so I thought maybe I could learn something from him, and learn I could. And of course, the most important thing, swapped games with him. After a while he sold his Commodore 64, and got an Amiga 500. Which of course, I eventually did as well. I hanged out with him (and vice versa, obviously) a lot and we bought the same first three computers, the C64 -> Amiga 500 -> Amiga 1200. He eventually sold his Amiga and got himself a PC. When that happened, we were pretty much going seperate ways, mostly due to going to different schools, so we lost contact after a while.

But while he didn't inspire to become a "nerd" which was the term back then, he's probably the only guy I've ever known to take games and computers as seriously as I have. Of course, I've had other friends whom I've played games with, but very few of them had a computer or any kind of gaming device, and most of them came to me.

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:49 am

Friends certainly. Speccy tapes changed hands daily at school and I had one particular friend who I'd always be playing games with either at my house or his. That carried on into the 16-bit computer era but faded off as time went on. He barely plays any games anymore :(

My real grounding in computer games came from my uncle, who had a Spectrum and a ton of games and magazines. I often stayed there over weekends, and the Saturday night was basically me, my uncle and my cousin sitting up into the very small hours playing all kinds of Speccy stuff. In particular I remember us playing through Redhawk, lots of Tau Ceti, DunDarach and some horse racing game I can't remember the name of. Good times!
Last edited by Sabreman on Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:40 am

Sabreman, that's pretty much the same scenario as myself, right down to the games we played. Would the horse racing be Sport of Kings by any chance?
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... +Dimension$
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:46 am

I used to love going round my relatives ..... my folks would sit doing the boring talking & drinking tea thing were as me an d my bro would be with mates/cousins etc playing video games on whatever console that person owned.

One of my cousins had a Speccy 128 which although I thought was a rather naff machine - she had a good selection of games - I used to love playing Kwik Snax.

My next-door-neighbour had a C64 and we used to play Rainbow Islands alot.

I have many a fond memory of going around friends and relatives houses playing games - this is probably what got me addicted to gaming so much!

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:02 pm

Sport of Kings! Yeah, that was the one :)

I haven't seen that uncle for ages. I'd bet he's still got all that stuff. Even back then I was entranced by his collection - lots of Ultimate stuff for a start.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:20 pm

My mate ants. The first time I was to ever touch a games console, the year was 1994, I was about a year and a half older than him and he had been given a sega master system. A year or so later he had a mega drive which got played to death. Then I got the Saturn and Sega Rally, Street fighter and Sonic jam. The Saturns pads were scarred but one still lives on
Watching you sleep since 1990

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:42 pm

When I was in my last year at school, I became friends with an annoying, fat spolied only child as he had an Amiga, and I had a humble Speccy. You would have thought he would be happy to have a friend, but I endured his whining arrogance and boasting night in and night out, just so as I could spend those precious hours watching Shadow of the Beast and Ghouls 'n' Ghosts in action. I would walk 20 minutes to his house in all weathers just to use him to look at games for a computer I could not afford. Great days!

I used to love New Years Eve at that time as well, as, like thl said, friends would visit, and the 'grown ups' would sit in the lounge, and their two boys and I would head for my room and spend the evening and night playing Spectrum games and getting wired on fizzy pop and crisps. It was one of the few times a year when we could play games for 6 or 7 hours straight, into the early hours, eat crap and make a tornado of noise. Social gaming was never better than three 13-year-old boys sat around a Spectrum, listening to the chimes of Big Ben and playing Renegade...
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:52 pm

I watched the neighbours kid play C64 (weren't allowed to touch it).

Played NES at a friends house. A1200 at another friends house. Lots of my friends had a SNES so played some on that too. Oh, and Master System, GB, PS1, N64 and PC too.

Anybody who hasn't played games at a friends house?

merman

Post by merman » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:26 pm

Had to go to a friend's house to play on a *whisper* Spectrum. Still, I kicked his ass at Way of the Exploding Fist, even on keys.

I remember a different friend's birthday party descending into an argument over whose turn it was to play JetPac on the VIC20.

And a lot of my 16-bit gaming was done at other people's houses. Many frantic games of Speedball on the ST.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:14 pm

Sega2006 wrote:My mate ants. The first time I was to ever touch a games console, the year was 1994, I was about a year and a half older than him and he had been given a sega master system. A year or so later he had a mega drive which got played to death. Then I got the Saturn and Sega Rally, Street fighter and Sonic jam. The Saturns pads were scarred but one still lives on
Around 1993/1994, I use to visit a friend who I knew from primary school and lived quite near. At his place he had a complete collection of Sega consoles that included the Master System 1 and 2, Mega Drive, and the Game Gear.

Been playing on the Mega Drive very often, he had games such as Phantasy Star III, Sonic the Hedgehog, European Club Soccer, Mega Games II and Mega Games III. I still remember playing two player mode on Golden Axe, Streets of Rage and Alien Storm which was awesome. :D

Also I use to borrow Master System games from him that included Pacmania, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic Chaos. But the moment that I should not forget is when he gave me Operation Wolf as a birthday present. And believe it or not he hated that game. :lol:

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:44 am

Hungry Horace wrote:When I was in my last year at school, I became friends with an annoying, fat spolied only child as he had an Amiga, and I had a humble Speccy. You would have thought he would be happy to have a friend, but I endured his whining arrogance and boasting night in and night out, just so as I could spend those precious hours watching Shadow of the Beast and Ghouls 'n' Ghosts in action. I would walk 20 minutes to his house in all weathers just to use him to look at games for a computer I could not afford. Great days!

I used to love New Years Eve at that time as well, as, like thl said, friends would visit, and the 'grown ups' would sit in the lounge, and their two boys and I would head for my room and spend the evening and night playing Spectrum games and getting wired on fizzy pop and crisps. It was one of the few times a year when we could play games for 6 or 7 hours straight, into the early hours, eat crap and make a tornado of noise. Social gaming was never better than three 13-year-old boys sat around a Spectrum, listening to the chimes of Big Ben and playing Renegade...
That reminds me of when we finished school early on the last day of term - we'd head for my house (I was the nearest person with an Amiga) and then we'd just pack into my bedroom (about five of use - it's a small room) - when my mum came home she was always thinking What's that noise? - we'd be playing on the Amiga and listening to some tape I managed to get my hands on, drinking cola and eating crisps and chocolate! Those were the days! - by the type mum had come home from work we'd have been there 5 hours!

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:09 am

I'll never forget those hot summer days spent at my Uncle's house on the C64... Pitfall 2, the Epyx games series... ah, the memories! I credit my Uncle with introducing me to video games, back when the Atari was king. I was to small to remember most of that though.

I also owe a lot to my old china Nick. Introduced me to the arcades, Atari ST and the Sega Master System. Those truly were happy days.
真・豪鬼

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:43 am

Yeah, My uncle had a ZX81 (this was a while back!) and I would constantly try and persuade my mum to visit them just so I could get on it.

I also befriended this guy I really didn't get on with just so I could get on his TRS80. Eventually my mum folded and got me a bbc micro and I became part of the nerdy BBC click at school.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:58 am

My uncle brought a 48k speccy from a car boot sale years ago, for catalouging his massive record collection. Unfortunatly everything that could blow had blown so us kids got given a 'pretend computer'. Dam shame though
Watching you sleep since 1990