Bedrooms to Billionaires. Who is excited?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Bedrooms To Billionaires

Can't wait for this. I love 8-bit game
81%
Not interested in 8-bit stuff
3%
Will wait until it's out
16%

Total votes: 31

necronom

Re: Bedrooms to Billionaires. Who is excited?

Post by necronom » Thu May 24, 2012 5:06 pm

I'm tempted. I've never heard of Indegogo, but it looks the same as Kickstarter.

The offers aren't as good as the Viva Amiga one I supported, as for £16 you only get a copy of the video file. To get the DVD it costs £64! I'm getting the other one on DVD for £22.

I don't see much value in a copy of a file, so it seems over priced, but I might still get it, as the UK games industry is what retro is to me. Actually, I think I've just talked myself into it.

I'll have to watch the Newsfield one again, and the trailer for this one now.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 24, 2012 5:11 pm

I guess you're investing in the production costs of the film rather than the physical product, but mass produced a physical copy won't add much to the price. £64 to get the disc is a tad excessive imo. Half that and I might think about it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri May 25, 2012 1:34 am

I was excited, didn't see the price bit as was too busy looking at the item! Yes, 64 quid is probably a bit too much, it would have to be something quite special.

quantum

Post by quantum » Fri May 25, 2012 5:17 pm

Same for me. Also really looking forward to the Amiga documentary.

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Sat May 26, 2012 3:50 am

I can't help but feel disappointed in a way, because it's stomped all over the book idea I've had for ages (and have tentatively written a few pages of, and done quite a lot of planning for). But the era certainly needs to be better documented than ikt currently is. And who knows? If I do manage to get my idea finished, a book could be a perfect companion piece.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:18 am

A 90 minute documentary can't hold a candle to a book in terms of content. The doco will have some nice angles like on cam interviews, but a book could offer so much more. The two are in no way in competition.

Put me down for a pre-order on the book.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Sun May 27, 2012 10:28 am

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Thu May 31, 2012 7:51 am

I was looking at this earlier and it seems like this documentary has been in the works for at least 18 months, as they attempted to get funding in November 2010. Maybe it'll be more successful this time around, now that crowdfunding has caught on a bit more.

quantum

Post by quantum » Thu May 31, 2012 2:41 pm

I would keep going with the book. It doesn't look as though the docu will make the cash in time!

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Thu May 31, 2012 3:21 pm

Ahh, crowdfunded projects tend to have big bursts at the end. I will keep going though... I've created a Twitter account and a Facebook page for it now to go with the blog, so I'm getting everything in place and cracking on.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:45 pm

If it's well made, I'll be interested - but I am quite worn out with the funding of projects almost seeming to be a bigger talking point than the contect. I am probably biased as I work full time in TV and have to listen to people yak on about funding all day. But at the end, content and quality of the final film all that should count. Fingers crossed.

I've seen the Newsfield film - and it's enjoyable - though clearly done on a shoestring. Oli Frey's art really saves it visually, otherwise it's close to being a radio documentary (which is NOT a criticism as I like radio docs!).

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:44 pm

PaulEMoz wrote:I can't help but feel disappointed in a way, because it's stomped all over the book idea I've had for ages (and have tentatively written a few pages of, and done quite a lot of planning for). But the era certainly needs to be better documented than ikt currently is. And who knows? If I do manage to get my idea finished, a book could be a perfect companion piece.
It would most certainly be a good companion piece, fans of classic gaming and very likely to get both budget permitting!

Analog

Post by Analog » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:00 pm

sounds excellent, thanks for posting this :)

timewarpgamer

Post by timewarpgamer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:17 pm

Totally pumped for this film.

Just heard a great interview by the film maker on the Retro Gaming Roundup podcast. You'll be pleased to hear that the film maker plugged your magazine a few times, too. Apparently—not that I'm surprised—y'all have been very supportive.

Maybe the coolest thing I heard in the interview is that Ron Hubbard (of C64 music fame) has already created three new tracks for the filme. His first work in 27 years!
I run the 8/16-bit retro gamer website TimeWarpGamer, and if you want to follow the latest developments, you can find me on Twitter as well.