New SEGA VINTAGE COLLECTIONS on XBLA

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ChipTune

Re: New SEGA VINTAGE COLLECTIONS on XBLA

Post by ChipTune » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:12 am

Finished the course (beginner) with 1 second to spare

I really dont know how to get any better at this game as I held down turbo for loads of it, and didnt crash at all :shock:

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:59 am

Hmmm, dunno. I finished with 8.4 seconds to spare, and I didn't think I'd had a particularly great run.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:23 pm

Encountered a few screw ups with the Monster World Collection. Id just completed Wonderboy in Monster World, quit to the dashboard and re-loaded the Monster World collection only to find all my save files for all the games gone. The prompt at the title screen said "no save data found. create new save data?". I have no idea why it would have done this.

Also, the achievement for washing your face in the spring in Monster World IV unlocked when i started a new game on the second save slot. Cant see the reason for this either!

Anyway, been playing Monster Land and its absolutely infuriating. Unbelievably hard and every enemies attack pattern seems randomised. The snow gorilla on stage 8 is a cruel joke.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:49 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:Encountered a few screw ups with the Monster World Collection. Id just completed Wonderboy in Monster World, quit to the dashboard and re-loaded the Monster World collection only to find all my save files for all the games gone. The prompt at the title screen said "no save data found. create new save data?". I have no idea why it would have done this.

Also, the achievement for washing your face in the spring in Monster World IV unlocked when i started a new game on the second save slot. Cant see the reason for this either!

Anyway, been playing Monster Land and its absolutely infuriating. Unbelievably hard and every enemies attack pattern seems randomised. The snow gorilla on stage 8 is a cruel joke.
Monster Land really does suck.. I had such fond memories of it, but must not have played it very far as it's exceptionally annoying.. the enemies patterns are basically random and once hit you bounce around, anable to control your character, repeatedly bouncing off things, getting stuck in a corner while you die.. It's just not fun to play. The others are quite annoying too to be fair, but they get less so as the series progresses.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:20 pm

^ Ive played the Master System version of Monster Land and thats a LOT more forgiving. Less strict on time, enemies/bosses travel a lot slower and are easier to predict. This arcade version is simply painful after a few stages.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:24 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:^ Ive played the Master System version of Monster Land and thats a LOT more forgiving. Less strict on time, enemies/bosses travel a lot slower and are easier to predict. This arcade version is simply painful after a few stages.

I think the problem with retro gaming as a whole is that arcade games are fondly remembered and constantly rejuvenated like the sega packs, but we forget that they were programmed to be hard and unfair to rob people of their change... the whole point was to have people constantly seeing the game over screen by way of unfair enemies, poor AI, low health, low time etc etc .. when played at home it just makes you realise that they are actually pretty b0ll0cks..

Some are fun for 5 minute bursts sure, but they are generally just irritating.. Super Hang-On on the new SEGA pack is good fun as it is a quick burst of adrenaline for 5 minutes.. the wonder boy games are supposed to be played as an adventure game so monster land having a stingy time limit and hard to hit bosses completely ruins it for me.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:18 pm

RichL wrote:Does the cheat for Revenge of Shinobi still work to get infinite shurikans?
Yes! :mrgreen:

I picked up the Alex Kidd collection and found it to be very enjoyable! Might pick up the Wonderboy one at a later date, and will be interesting to see what else they release later....

Not sure about the Golden Axe or Streets Of Rage ones...I've still to pick up the Megadrive collection, so might just wait and play them on that....
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:27 am

The Achievements for the Toejam & Earl 1 & 2 pack have been leaked.

I'll definitely be buying this when it lands. Even if it costs 800pts. :D
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:49 pm

Wish Sega had released Revenge of Death Adder and Golden Axe the Duel along with say Megadrive Golden Axe 2 rather then the current Golden Axe compilation :x .. How about arcade Shinobi, arcade Alien Storm, Arcade Altered Beast and Megadrive Shadow Dancer; the link the same progamming team..

I'd pay 800 for Revenge of Death Adder on its own, criminally ignored game

Or how about Astro Blaster, Congo Bongo and the asteriods rip off "Another creature for my amusement"! Or even better the 3 Dynamite Deka games
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:11 pm

Not a collection, but 3 classic Sega fighters have been rated.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/09/virtu ... ers-rated/

Of all the Sonic games to pick....
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:23 pm

there is already enough bloody sonic on the new platforms thanks..

the other two fighting games have been surpassed many times over by other games since then.. SEGA should pick some better games to being up to date.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:28 pm

Sonic the fighters was a good idea badly done.

Fighters Megamix would of been a better choice

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:41 pm

DPrinny wrote:Sonic the fighters was a good idea badly done.

Agreed about Fighters Megamix. As for the choices, VF2 has indeed been surpassed by newer versions (though I wonder if we'll finally get a proper arcade perfect version this time round) and I was never a fan of the first Fighting Vipers, I did enjoy the sequel though.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:57 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Sonic the fighters was a good idea badly done.

Agreed about Fighters Megamix. As for the choices, VF2 has indeed been surpassed by newer versions (though I wonder if we'll finally get a proper arcade perfect version this time round) and I was never a fan of the first Fighting Vipers, I did enjoy the sequel though.
I'm the opposite. I loved the first Vipers and then Megamix but the second FV on the Dreamcast really disappointed me.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:09 pm

Surely sega can pull some better stuff from there back catalogue than this, i dont know anyone who'll even bother trying the demos for these nevermind actually buying them!
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816