New SEGA VINTAGE COLLECTIONS on XBLA

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

PaulEMoz

Re: New SEGA VINTAGE COLLECTIONS on XBLA

Post by PaulEMoz » Wed May 30, 2012 5:48 am

I think that if you're interested in any of these games, £6.50 (approx) is a very reasonable price to pay for a pack of three.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Wed May 30, 2012 7:59 am

PaulEMoz wrote:I think that if you're interested in any of these games, £6.50 (approx) is a very reasonable price to pay for a pack of three.
spot on comment.

I spent 1200 points on I am Alive, and thats the biggest pile of sh1te ever.. so 800 points for 3 games is good value.. even if its for a couple of hours, what else can you get for that price these days?>

I bought Ridge Racer Unbounded for £25 and spent about 14 hours in total on it before I got bored of it .. thats great value for money.. consider a 3 pint round at the pub now costs me about £12 or any other number of examples.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Wed May 30, 2012 10:40 am

Streets of Rage & Golden Axe Collections are out today!

The Golden Ace one is utter tripe as expected as the games really do suck, they are tedious, boring to play, look rubbish and have no redeeming features whatsoever. I really do not get why these games are considered classics, out of all the many many beat-em-ups Ive played on systems and MAME the Golden Axe series (apart from Death Adder one which is good) rate as some of the worst.

The Streets of rage one is better due to the games quality.. The 2nd one is by far the best as we all know, and SEGA have done a good job here.. With a large window with scanlines on it looks awesome, and even the horribly grainy sound effects seems less offensive than on the Sega Mega Drive Collection. Plus you can play the games in their japanese 'Bare Knuckle' guise too. The music on the intro screen for SOR2 is cool too.

I would get this for 400 points but 800 is too much for games I have played to death over the years, I have it on my original MD in the bedroom, as well as on the aforementioned MD Collection for 360. This is the best way to play it on modern TVs though for sure, and being able to play co-op online, and leaderboard scoring makes it a good package for those not sick of SOR.

I am tempted to get the one with Alex Kidd, Shinobi, and Super Hang-On though, it is more varied, Im not sure..

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Wed May 30, 2012 10:47 am

Oh yeah, and WHY do the games not have their cover art on my games list?? They do on the marketplace, but even one week after purchasing the Monster World Collection there is still no art for it (just a tiny thumbnail in the middle of a blank box) .. This happened with FEZ too, and wasn't sorted out for several weeks.. seems very slack on microsoft's part!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed May 30, 2012 10:49 am

The Beans wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Yeah it's all excellent and makes every title worth the money. I can't see how you would complain about the price point unless you were simply downloading them off the internet.
800pts is too steep for me because I'm not that interested in these games. Only the Wonder Boy games hold any possible interest for me at all. After trying the demo I'm not even that convinced of this tbh. But I'm willing to take a risk on that pack at 400pts if it goes on sale at some point in the future (which it probably will).
It's got nothing to do with being able to download them illegally or whatever.
It's not too step though. It's a perfectly acceptable price. It's not Sega's fault you don't like the games :)
If you're not interested in the games then surely the price is irrelevant to you anyway, as you wouldn't buy them anyway no?

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed May 30, 2012 11:22 am

But then, Sega sales happen quite often, so I don't think it'll be that long before these collections are on offer. ;P
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:27 am

Prices are solid enough, but If Im going to digitally download a 20 year old game, Ill get it from you know where. Otherwise, I much prefer to buy the physical originals.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed May 30, 2012 12:06 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
The Beans wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Yeah it's all excellent and makes every title worth the money. I can't see how you would complain about the price point unless you were simply downloading them off the internet.
800pts is too steep for me because I'm not that interested in these games. Only the Wonder Boy games hold any possible interest for me at all. After trying the demo I'm not even that convinced of this tbh. But I'm willing to take a risk on that pack at 400pts if it goes on sale at some point in the future (which it probably will).
It's got nothing to do with being able to download them illegally or whatever.
It's not too step though. It's a perfectly acceptable price. It's not Sega's fault you don't like the games :)
If you're not interested in the games then surely the price is irrelevant to you anyway, as you wouldn't buy them anyway no?
I'm possibly interested in one of the packs at 400pts. As clearly stated. At 400pts it's a probable impulse buy. I'm not a fan ready to pay whatever the asking price is. I'm a mildly interested customer who would more readily spend 800pts on something else but might be tempted by one these collections at a lower price. I said 800pts is too steep for me, not that Sega's pricing was wrong.
Did you actually read my post or are you just trolling for larks? You've already accused people who don't want to pay the current asking price of being thieves. Now you want to tell me what I'm supposed to be willing to pay?
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Wed May 30, 2012 3:24 pm

I think 800 points for three games is fine, it's the choices of games that puzzle me.. streets of rage and golden axe are trilogy packs obviously but the games are already available to play on xbox 360 via xbla and retail compilations so are completely unnecessary, and for us fans means we have to pay AGAIN!! In some cases people will have paid 3 times for streets of rage 2 (the best game here).

Monster World Collection was ok for a weekend's worth of entertainment, no complaints regarding value there, though the games are bloody annoying (the hit / bounce off enemies / repeat / die sequence gets really old fast!)

The alex kidd / super hang-on / revenge of shinobi pack seems so random, like they picked the titles out of a hat. Enough with the mega drive already, lets have arcade games.. super hang-n + outrun + space harrier .. or something like that would have made more sense..

anyway.. is this the lot or will there be more SEGA packs coming over the summer? With such a huge catelogue of classic games it was sad for me to see them rehash the same /or uninspired material.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed May 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:No idea what the Xbox stuff is like but the psn game is have (monster world 4) is fantastic. Scan lines, different ratios, lovely presentation. Up there with the ps3 neo geo ports I feel.
The screen resize options are great and the original games title screens are not skipped like on the Mega Drive Ultimate collection. Even the smoothing effect is nicely done. The only negative is the Wallpaper setting, while there is an option for None it displays a grey pattern?

Roo

Post by Roo » Wed May 30, 2012 8:01 pm

These games cost 800 points on Virtual Console. That's 800 points individually. In no fashion whatsoever do I think 360 owners are getting a poor deal here...!

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Thu May 31, 2012 4:04 pm

Could someone please offer me some advice on Super Hang-On as I just came exceptionally close to putting my foot through the TV screen (genuinely), after playing the god damn beginners course over and over again.. that time just running out of time with the finish line in sight.. I didnt crash once so I am wondering what the F()CK it uis I am doing wrong!! ARARATAGAGAHGGH!

Got all the achievement points in the Alex Kidd & Co. pack apart from one Super Hang-On achievement (finish a course).

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu May 31, 2012 4:08 pm

ChipTune wrote: Got all the achievement points in the Alex Kidd & Co. pack apart from one Super Hang-On achievement (finish a course).
Are you aware of your bike's turbo-boost? There's a surprising amount of people who'll play that game for years without knowing about the turbos.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Thu May 31, 2012 4:38 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
ChipTune wrote: Got all the achievement points in the Alex Kidd & Co. pack apart from one Super Hang-On achievement (finish a course).
Are you aware of your bike's turbo-boost? There's a surprising amount of people who'll play that game for years without knowing about the turbos.
Haha, yeah, it had been that long since I'd played it that I'd completely forgotten about it! Must have played for over an hour before I re-discovered it! :D

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Thu May 31, 2012 8:18 pm

I think it's safe to assume that Chiptune knows about the turbo because one of the achievements is use turbo boost for ten seconds, the only achievement he's missing is finish a course :wink: