New SEGA VINTAGE COLLECTIONS on XBLA

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Beans

Re: New SEGA VINTAGE COLLECTIONS on XBLA

Post by The Beans » Sun May 27, 2012 2:33 pm

ChipTune wrote:anyone would think SEGA didn't have a large enough back catalogue to dip into instead of regurgitating the same tired old sh1t over and over.
Ideally, it would be nice if Sega and Namco and everybody else just copied Game Room to death and put out a compilation of games of their own that had a virtual arcade and challenges and medals and all the other Game Room things and other cool features. I wouldn't mind if it was a standalone disc at full retail price or a digital sales model like Game Room. Namco could just lift all the games off their Virtual Museum compilation and I'd be a happy boy.
Lots of things about Game Room really work. Even the game sales can't be that bad, it was in the top ten lists for XBLA for months on end.
The one time you want the game industry to get cloning and it lets you down by totally ignoring a good idea that could be easily improved. :roll:

These Sega packs are a good thing but what a missed opportunity it all feels like to me.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun May 27, 2012 3:07 pm

The Golden Axe set would of been a good opportunity to finally rerelease Revenge of Death Adder, or even the Duel, instead of the first game for the millionth time, which is already available on XBLA on its own. :/

Is it much to ask Sega for the to rerelease some of your lesser rereleased games? Everyone must of played Sonic MD, Golden Axe and SOR etc. by now....
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Sun May 27, 2012 4:24 pm

Wonder boy IV (the japanese one) is indeed MUCH better. :D

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun May 27, 2012 6:22 pm

ALK wrote:The Golden Axe set would of been a good opportunity to finally rerelease Revenge of Death Adder, or even the Duel, instead of the first game for the millionth time, which is already available on XBLA on its own. :/

Is it much to ask Sega for the to rerelease some of your lesser rereleased games? Everyone must of played Sonic MD, Golden Axe and SOR etc. by now....
Knowing our luck it will be Golden Axe 1 Arcade and the Megadrive Golden Axe 2 and 3.. 'Revenge of Death Adder' would be awesome especially 4 players on live, such a missed opportunity.. Revenge is one of Sega's best games, multiple route's loads of moves etc, would be a must buy for me
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Mon May 28, 2012 5:33 am

Shinobi wrote:
ALK wrote:The Golden Axe set would of been a good opportunity to finally rerelease Revenge of Death Adder, or even the Duel, instead of the first game for the millionth time, which is already available on XBLA on its own. :/

Knowing our luck it will be Golden Axe 1 Arcade and the Megadrive Golden Axe 2 and 3.. 'Revenge of Death Adder' would be awesome especially 4 players on live, such a missed opportunity.. Revenge is one of Sega's best games, multiple route's loads of moves etc, would be a must buy for me

It is arcade golden axe and md sequels, i saw a photo of the select screen but now cant seem to find it but you can see details here:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news ... d-psn.html

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue May 29, 2012 6:17 am

Played Super Hang On for around 2 hours last night. So, so addictive.

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue May 29, 2012 9:05 am

Really impressed with M2's emulation and presentation for these new vintage collections. Even the game select screen is fun with the 3D models of the master system, mega drive & the Hang-On cabinet. The button config and screen display options are a bit cluttered but they offer great customisation, also the little mini challenges added to games is nice touch for added replay value. Waiting to see the Streets of Rage collection.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue May 29, 2012 10:01 am

Yeah it's all excellent and makes every title worth the money. I can't see how you would complain about the price point unless you were simply downloading them off the internet.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Tue May 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Quick question. Is the arcade version of Super Hang On much different to the megadrive port?
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Tue May 29, 2012 1:27 pm

Just completed Monster World IV, now for the other two.. I am playing them it reverse :)

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Tue May 29, 2012 2:37 pm

^ I just did the Sky Castle on Monster World IV. Those conveyor belt platforms were a nightmare!
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue May 29, 2012 3:18 pm

Can't believe they're doing Golden Axe again. Yes it's a great series but it's also already heavily exposed.

I've got Revenge of Death Adder on MAME but I would happily pay for a legit download/update version of the game yet Sega seem content to pretend it didn't exist :( . It's only the best bloody one too! Get it sorted Sega then re-release the original arcade House of the Dead (not the horrible Saturn version) and Panzer Dragoon Saga (to save our bank accounts a trauma).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue May 29, 2012 3:46 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Yeah it's all excellent and makes every title worth the money. I can't see how you would complain about the price point unless you were simply downloading them off the internet.
800pts is too steep for me because I'm not that interested in these games. Only the Wonder Boy games hold any possible interest for me at all. After trying the demo I'm not even that convinced of this tbh. But I'm willing to take a risk on that pack at 400pts if it goes on sale at some point in the future (which it probably will).
It's got nothing to do with being able to download them illegally or whatever.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue May 29, 2012 3:51 pm

Only had enough MS points for one of these, and went for the Monster World stuff. Only ever played the Master System version of Wonder Boy In Monster Land, imagine my surprise when the arcade version's exactly the same! (More or less).

Wonder Boy in Monster World's a fair bit harder than I remember (going through those mushroom monsters without a spear is dangerous), and last time I played Monster World IV I couldn't get the egg to hatch. Maybe in English I'll be able to succeed.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Wed May 30, 2012 5:22 am

Overall I enjoyed Monster World IV but some parts of it are a real chore and not much fun.. the aforementioned tower bit with all the moving platforms that have moving tracks on them.. and also the ice palace really drags on.. 3 parts go on for far too long.