New SEGA VINTAGE COLLECTIONS on XBLA

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GunstarHero

Re: New SEGA VINTAGE COLLECTIONS on XBLA

Post by GunstarHero » Wed May 23, 2012 5:43 pm

I'd like to see a collection of Outrun, Space Harrier and Afterburner 2 for 800 pts. Nights into Dreams HD would be amazing to.

Also we had Daytona so how about Sega Rally?

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Wed May 23, 2012 6:56 pm

Mmmmmm...800pts is a bit of a stretch considering it's missing two games that I'd've liked to have been included, and one merely for completionist's sake (respectively, number 1 and number 3, and that side-scrolling shooter thing) but I could still see myself splashing out the points, especially as all three are games I'd definitely play AND seeing as I've never played 5 before, and *really* fancy playing it.

The other comp - I've played ROS to death, it's one of my top 5 games of all time, and I can play it immediately in a variety of different ways so its inclusion here feels pretty underwhelming (Christ, how many MD multigame carts did it appear on???!). I never liked Alex Kidd, and Super Hang On is only tempting to me because it looks like a port of the arcade version, rather than the dull and slow-handling MD version - the shots on Live show oodles more colour than the MD, so I'm *assuming* it's the arcade one(???) Maybe I might nab it when it drops to 400pts, maybe...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed May 23, 2012 8:03 pm

No idea what the Xbox stuff is like but the psn game is have (monster world 4) is fantastic. Scan lines, different ratios, lovely presentation. Up there with the ps3 neo geo ports I feel.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Wed May 23, 2012 8:04 pm

I must be missing something... someone mentioned the Megadrive compilation that came out a couple of years back... none of these games were on it.. :?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic%27s_ ... t_of_games

Yeah 800pts is a bit of a push... but for 3 quite decent games in each compilation it doesn't seem that bad a deal to me.

@Jazzfunk, Super Hang-On is indeed the arcade version... I haven't tried any of the games myself but going off the screenshots on XBLA the main menu shows each machine the game was on originally, Alex Kid shows a Master System, Revenge of Shinobi shows a Megadrive and Super Hang-On shows the sit on arcade machine

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Wed May 23, 2012 11:08 pm

^I figured so. If all these games were 100pts each, I'd buy them all, despite already owning most.

BTW, I just blobbed out the 800pts and am *loving* the Wonderboy 'collection', it's overpriced but *will* give me jolly good VFM, cos I love dem gamez and they play so clear and nice. :D

RichL

Post by RichL » Thu May 24, 2012 1:26 pm

Does the cheat for Revenge of Shinobi still work to get infinite shurikans?

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu May 24, 2012 5:50 pm

Meh. As others have said, they should have put on games that HAVEN'T been on other compilations (like Toe Jam & Earl), re-releasing some of classic DC games (would love to have a go at either Zombie Revenge or Dynamite Cop again!), or they could just port Star Wars Trilogy Arcade :D
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

dwitefry

Post by dwitefry » Thu May 24, 2012 8:59 pm

It's a Monster World Collection, it even stays on the title menu, not a Wonder Boy Collection, hence the three Monster World games and no Wonder Boy or the two III games which are Wonder Boy games rather than Monster World games, yeah it's still a tad stingy but if they're planning on releasing them in 3's it's an obvious and sensible split for the series.

The Alex Kidd & Co. one makes a bit less sense, but all three games are good and when I was a Mega Drive owning youth this is the sort of thing i wanted - a perfect Super Hang-On port! I dunno, they were a bit pricey but all six games are great, play great and Monster World 4 finally has an official translation so they at all serve a purpose.

The two upcoming ones? Not so much, the Streets of Rage pack seems pointless and Golden Axe is a wasted opportunity, if it was an arcade perfect Golden Axe plus Revenge of Death Adder and The Duel, or plus Revenge of Death Adder and Legend or plus Revenge of Death Adder and ANYTHING rather than just 1, 2 and 3. I further support a new version of Sega Ages Volume 1 for the series though (After Burner II, Space Harrier, OutRun) and maybe a nice 'second tier' arcade game set - maybe containing Dynamite Dux.

Also Sega doesn't own Toejam & Earl do they? And i doubt they can still release things like Star Wars Arcade (I don't really get how it works today, UbiSoft were able to release two Konami TMNT games right? So maybe LucasArts could release Arcade or the original Star Wars arcade game, though personally I'd like to see the 2600 Empire Strikes Back first, the Parker Bros. one?)

I'm done.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu May 24, 2012 9:14 pm

Toe Jam & Earl is a Sega IP

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sun May 27, 2012 11:26 am

Just starting playing Monster World IV. Its absolutely fantastic! Beautiful Lots of little features that come with each game too. You can change the game to the original japanese version, change the background, customize controls, and scan lines and a smoothing option plus time trial mode has been added to each game that challenges you to complete dungeons or boss rushes as fast possible with scores uploaded to leaderboards.

Im quite impressed by this collection. Its a shame Dragons Trap wasnt included since it shares the same gameplay but i can live without.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Sun May 27, 2012 11:37 am

James A wrote:Im betting we'll have a Phantasy Star collection next.
You're losing... Golden Axe and Streets of Rage Collections are out this coming Wednesday.

I'm not interested in Golden Axe at all, but I'll probably get Streets of Rage. I bought the two collections that were released last Wednesday - Alex Kidd purely for Super Hang On, which I love, and Monster World purely for Wonder Boy in Monster Land, which I love. The other games are great bonuses to me.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Sun May 27, 2012 1:59 pm

PaulEMoz wrote:
James A wrote:Im betting we'll have a Phantasy Star collection next.
You're losing... Golden Axe and Streets of Rage Collections are out this coming Wednesday.

I'm not interested in Golden Axe at all, but I'll probably get Streets of Rage. I bought the two collections that were released last Wednesday - Alex Kidd purely for Super Hang On, which I love, and Monster World purely for Wonder Boy in Monster Land, which I love. The other games are great bonuses to me.

I bought the wonder boy collection as I was bored and wanted an old skool platform adventure.. however monster land is so annoying.. when you get hit you bounce back and forth off enemies until all your health runs out.. it's infuriating.. also there is noticeable screen-tear.. the kind of crap you get on pc games before putting v-sync on.. also the sound goes from sounding clean and crisp to distorted and out of tune sometimes.. poor!

Wonderboy in monster world is ok but ive finished it in the past and so playing it now just feels like playing it for the sake of it.. will give the japanese one a whirl later but if it does nothing for me then it's another xbla title getting deleted (plus 800 points down the toilet).

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Sun May 27, 2012 2:01 pm

oh.. and plus SEGA should have put all this sh1t on GAME ROOM and we could have had proper high score challenges (i.e. score on one credit) rather than nonsense mini-trials only having online scores.. it would have been perfect and would have keep GAME ROOM from hitting a brick wall.

They can seriously f()ck off with Streets of Rage and Golden Axe collections though.. some of thoise are already on XBLA and all of them are on the SEGA Mega Drive collection.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun May 27, 2012 2:08 pm

ChipTune wrote:oh.. and plus SEGA should have put all this sh1t on GAME ROOM and we could have had proper high score challenges (i.e. score on one credit) rather than nonsense mini-trials only having online scores.. it would have been perfect and would have keep GAME ROOM from hitting a brick wall.

They can seriously f()ck off with Streets of Rage and Golden Axe collections though.. some of thoise are already on XBLA and all of them are on the SEGA Mega Drive collection.
I don't blame Sega for shunning Game Room. Three games bundled for 800pts instead of being able to buy them seperately for 240pts each (with a bundle if you only want one game you have to buy two other games you don't want etc) plus their own slot on XBLA and the sales limelight that can go with it plus the option to reduce the price later in a featured dashboard sale for further profit.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Sun May 27, 2012 2:18 pm

anyone would think SEGA didn't have a large enough back catalogue to dip into instead of regurgitating the same tired old sh1t over and over.