Injury caused by Wii

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Demonblaze

Post by Demonblaze » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:08 am

The black eye pic looks fake for a start and c'mon people this is the Sun we're talking about. You don't believe everything you read in there trust me. And I've been playing my Wii none stop and except for sore arms (which'll go in time) I've had no problems.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:35 am

These types of people are unbelievable. If i did somehow throw the controller out of my hand and break the tv or give myself a black eye i wouldnt be taking pictures of myself with the injury or pointing to the broken tv looking like an idiot !

But yeah i can imagine the huge headlines soon about how these consoles are evil and can injure so many people etc !

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:57 am

Judging by Sony's recent (and utterly dire) fake PSP blog, it could be paying for people to punch themselves in the face and claim that a Wii did it. But, yes, I'm sure the Daily Mail will run with a "Wii can kill" story sooner or later. And as for the smashed TV screens, I can't even imagine the force you'd need to throw the controller at to manage that—either that, or these people have very weak, thin screens!
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

necronom

Re:

Post by necronom » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:37 am

Opa-Opa wrote:If you are to Stu-Stu-Stupid to use the strap that comes with the remote (even though the Wii tells you to use it every time you start a new game) then you deserve at least a broken TV.
I can't belive these thickies...
They are using the strap. The problem is that the straps are far too weak and are snapping. Because of all the problems, the newer remotes have stronger string (or whatever it is).

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:40 am

No, they are just Divy's, with or without the strap they should not be letting go of the remote and lobbing it across the room in the first place..

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:41 am

Crucially, however, many users aren't tightening the strap, which is rather like complaining about falling to your doom after deciding to loosen a bungee strap.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:59 am

I can't believe all this sh!t.

HOLD ON TO THE F*CKING WII-MOTE. :roll:

Even if the strap breaks, those articulate little necessities in your hands called "muscles" should be able to "grip" (literally, to hold) the wii-mote, therefore preventing it from flying out and hitting TV's, other inanimate objects or people.

The world is getting dumber with each passing day. It's only a matter of time before we see the obligatory "Wii killed my Grandma" lawsuit. :evil:
真・豪鬼

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:04 am

I think the problem is that when they are playing a game with if for a while they are getting sweaty hands, and they lose grip on particularly violent moves.

I don't know what it's like myself. If I had a go I might think that these people are stupid, but it does at least sound like a potential problem. Like Craig said, having the strap tight will probably stop it breaking.

Shin_Gouki

Re:

Post by Shin_Gouki » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:14 am

necronom wrote:I think the problem is that when they are playing a game with if for a while they are getting sweaty hands, and they lose grip on particularly violent moves.

I don't know what it's like myself. If I had a go I might think that these people are stupid, but it does at least sound like a potential problem. Like Craig said, having the strap tight will probably stop it breaking.
The other side of it though is that people are being way too "animated" whilst playing the Wii. Sure, noobs will get excited and your Aunty might actually think she's at the bowling alley and let go, but come on, a bit of caution! All it takes is small movements and the big N need to make this known (and I retract that if there is already a disclaimer in the instruction book or similar).
真・豪鬼

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:44 am

Anyone who flings a Wii controller across the room should be ashamed of their life for being so flipping careless.

What kind of imbecile video records themselves throwing one? Or takes a picture of someone they gave a black eye to with it and puts it up on the internet?

When they put up a pictures of cracked windows, telly screens and monitors it's like they refuse to take 100% responsibility for the stupid thing they've done.

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:59 am

Opa-Opa wrote:No, they are just Divy's, with or without the strap they should not be letting go of the remote and lobbing it across the room in the first place..
You're assuming that these people have ounce one of intelligence.

They don't. These days if you build and market something it has to be 150% idiot proof. The Wii is not idiot proof and therefore idiots will hurt themselves/others when using it.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Opa-Opa

Re:

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:09 am

Randall Flagg wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:No, they are just Divy's, with or without the strap they should not be letting go of the remote and lobbing it across the room in the first place..
You're assuming that these people have ounce one of intelligence.

They don't. These days if you build and market something it has to be 150% idiot proof. The Wii is not idiot proof and therefore idiots will hurt themselves/others when using it.
I understand where your coming from, and agree with you about the idiot proof part of your post BUT....

I am in no way assuming these people have any intelligence, in fact I KNOW these people are complete divys, loons, halfwits or just plain tards...

I read this morning on the 'tinternet (so it must be true) that a bunch of these "challenged" people are now starting a campain to have them all recalled..? I know it's highly unlikey but as Heston once said, they will only get mine by taking it from my "cold, dead hands" :twisted:

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:33 am

Nintendo have recalled them.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:42 am

I take it you mean they have recalled stock that is unsold, and seeing how every machine that was released on the launch date (in Europe) was sold they won't be getting any back, meaning the next batch will have a newer strap...? A Div proof strap..?

Ok after a little bit of searching (and I do mean a little bit ) I have found this:
http://www.sagn.co.za/news.php?extend.312

Which seems to point the blame to people being Div's....

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:11 am

I can't believe a Wii remote can crush a TV screen at all, to be honest. I mean, isn't the thing supposed to be superlight? And don't you have to thrown incredibly fekkin hard to break the TV screen? These TVs are pretty solid thick glass, and if it's LCD, it's not even glass, it's plastic.