A game you got excited about...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ToxieDogg

Re: A game you got excited about...

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed May 09, 2012 3:03 pm

ShadowMan wrote:Spiderman & X-men Arcades Revenge: I've always been a fan of the Marvel heroes so was quite looking forward to playing the game. I remember getting it cheap from a car boot sale and still fealing ripped off. The levels felt overly long and boring (especially Spidey's and Storms) with it also being incredibly difficult in places (Gambits levels especially, where you were screwed if you ran out of playing cards which was exceedingly easy to do). I've only ever managed to complete it once via emulation and even then I still hated it.
:lol: Bloody hell, I actually feel like I'm good at something now. :) I've never completed most of the Megaman games outside of emulation (only managed Megamans 4 and I think 6 the 'legit' way) but I was able to complete Spiderman & XMen: Arcade's Revenge on SNES. Quite a tough game though and could be frustrating, and I was very disapppointed with it as I hadn't really seen any previews beforehand and was expecting something more akin to the Konami XMen scrolling beat 'em up.

Doubt I need to talk about this too much, but Captain America and the Avengers on SNES....I was really into the arcade game and had played the Mega Drive version before it was ported to the SNES so I was expecting to have a lot of fun with it and bought it as soon as it came out....but it was awful.

A bit further back in time...Double Dragon on the Speccy. I loved Double Dragon in the arcades and I used to go into WHSmith checking each week if the Speccy version had finally been released....I can remember the day it was, getting it in a big box and spending about 3 or 4 weeks pocket money on it, excitedly getting it home....and then finding out it was a turd. :( The multiload system was appalling, it was way too easy and the first time I played it through, it crashed on Stage 5A (I've since discovered it's an actual bug in the game if you try to walk to the right too soon instead of scrolling the screen down first :( ). At least there was Renegade and Target Renegade to make up for it though.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed May 09, 2012 3:14 pm

Super Mario Sunshine is probably the closest I can think about, as I usually pick my games fairly well. It's not a bad game, it just felt a little underwhelming despite the retro sections. Might have been all the fricking coin challenges for starters. The only Mario game I can think of where I didn't go for collecting all the stars (which I did in SM64, both Galaxy titles etc).
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

clarance

Post by clarance » Thu May 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Remember reading Ken McMahon's review of Commando on the C16 in Commodore User - praised the life out of it, the screenshots looked good. I'd played the wonderful Spectrum version and I so wanted to have my own version to play & be proud of.

Bought it in Smiths one Saturday, rushed back home, couldn't wait for it to load, played it for 10 minutes, completed it, felt sad.

Never fully believed a magazine review again.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu May 10, 2012 6:03 pm

Theme Park on the SNES. I'd always be round my friend's house playing the PC version, since mine wasn't powerful enough to run it. In retrospect it should have been obvious that the SNES could not produce an accurate replica, but when I bought it and found most of the features removed, I was gutted.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri May 11, 2012 1:55 pm

The last games i was genuinely excited for where Homeworld 2, Thief 3, Doom 3 and Deus Ex 2. They were all due out more or less the same time (to within 6 months or so, IIRC) and I had loved all the previous releases.

I didn't really like any of them. :cry: C'est la vie, eh.....

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri May 11, 2012 3:10 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Spiderman & X-men Arcades Revenge: I've always been a fan of the Marvel heroes so was quite looking forward to playing the game. I remember getting it cheap from a car boot sale and still fealing ripped off. The levels felt overly long and boring (especially Spidey's and Storms) with it also being incredibly difficult in places (Gambits levels especially, where you were screwed if you ran out of playing cards which was exceedingly easy to do). I've only ever managed to complete it once via emulation and even then I still hated it.
:lol: Bloody hell, I actually feel like I'm good at something now. :) I've never completed most of the Megaman games outside of emulation (only managed Megamans 4 and I think 6 the 'legit' way) but I was able to complete Spiderman & XMen: Arcade's Revenge on SNES. Quite a tough game though and could be frustrating, and I was very disapppointed with it as I hadn't really seen any previews beforehand and was expecting something more akin to the Konami XMen scrolling beat 'em up.
You got me beat on this one! I doubt I'll be able to beat the game legit though I am half tempted to now try again..
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sat May 12, 2012 4:10 pm

Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy XIII. Progressively more disappointed with each one. At least I enjoyed the plot in 10. XII was dull but I was really hopeful about XIII, until I read the first review. I bought it anyway, and there is very little (if anything) the game does right. Well, the graphics are astounding to be fair, but the voice acting is among the worst ever in a game. The gameplay is tedious, and the "autobattle" function just makes the whole experience redundant. The plot's crap to top it all off.

I hope they have the sense to return to their roots with the next installment, with a world map, sidequests, mini-games, and a decent story.

Persona 3 Portable also disappointed me, I wasn't prepared for it to be as neutered a version of the PS2 game as it was. I really thought the console had the power to produce a much more accurate port of the original.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat May 12, 2012 4:17 pm

Double Dragon on the C64

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat May 12, 2012 4:39 pm

Well because of my nature there has been loads over the years but heres a couple.

Nemesis on the CPC. I was a massive fan of this in the arcade. Of course, I wasnt naive enough to expect a stonking conversion but never the less I wasnt even remotely prepared for the disaster of a port that I loaded up. I was gutted.

Double Dragon on the SMS, just too different to the arcade machine to make it enjoyable for me. I learned to like it for what it was eventually but the initial disappointment was very high indeed, especially because of the cost.

Eat your nans pants

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 13, 2012 2:23 pm

look at it sideways wrote:Persona 3 Portable also disappointed me, I wasn't prepared for it to be as neutered a version of the PS2 game as it was. I really thought the console had the power to produce a much more accurate port of the original.
Really? I'm actually quite impressed with it and that's coming from somebody who already put 100 hours into completing P3 then another 130 into completing the FES version so you might say I've 'seen it all already'.

I do miss being able to move about on your own but the simplified navigation actually streamlines the experience in a way. Also, there's plenty of new content with the ability to play as a girl, new music, new social links and a few gameplay tweaks here and there. I dunno, perhaps it depends on how much you got 'into' the original versions.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Space Holiday

Post by Space Holiday » Sun May 13, 2012 2:35 pm

Space Channel 5! Not because it is a bad game, just because I absolutely suck at it! :lol:
Check out Alt:Mag - We're always looking for new writers! Apply within.

stvd

Post by stvd » Sun May 13, 2012 3:33 pm

Games I got excited about (regardless of my thoughts once I got them............)

Pitfall 2, Super Cobra - vcs
Jet Set Willy 2, Knightlore, Brian Bloodaxe - speccy
Flashback, Sensible Soccer - Megadrive
MGS, Resident Evil 1/2 - PS1
Code Veronica, Virtua Tennis, Shenmue 1/2 - Dreamcast

Richtendo

Post by Richtendo » Mon May 14, 2012 3:18 pm

Have to agree with Final Fantasy X. I loved FF6 on the Snes and 7 and 9 particularly on Playstation. All stone cold classics. So was looking forward to the first title on PS2 but it left me pretty disappointed. I'm not sure whether it's just that the story isn't as engaging, the characters aren't as good or what the reason is. I've not played a new Final Fantasy game since.

Actually I was also pretty disappointed with the DS version of Final Fantasy 4 as well, having never played the Snes original.

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon May 14, 2012 6:24 pm

Richtendo wrote:Have to agree with Final Fantasy X. I loved FF6 on the Snes and 7 and 9 particularly on Playstation. All stone cold classics. So was looking forward to the first title on PS2 but it left me pretty disappointed. I'm not sure whether it's just that the story isn't as engaging, the characters aren't as good or what the reason is. I've not played a new Final Fantasy game since.

Actually I was also pretty disappointed with the DS version of Final Fantasy 4 as well, having never played the Snes original.

RE FF4, If they took the graphics from the PSP version and the subtle enhancements such as the augments from the DS version then square would have had it nailed. The DS version is the best, but will age the worst. Get the PSP version...And again, FF10 was the 'final' nail in the coffin for me, never went back to it after that. I loved 7 and 9 and was a bit baffled by 8, didnt like it tbh.

Eat your nans pants

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon May 14, 2012 7:25 pm

I may get hung for this but... Lords of Midnight, oh how I longed for some interesting paint to watch dry.

I did play strategy games and this was supposed to be the best yet! But there was just something about this I never got.
I even tried again much later, even having a go of the remaked, but nop. It all left me confused and indiferent, and still does :mrgreen:
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog