A game you got excited about...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darkbynight

A game you got excited about...

Post by Darkbynight » Wed May 09, 2012 5:20 am

This is a thread to ask if there have been an old school game you were excited about when you heard about it but once you bought it \ downloaded it it turned out it really sucked?
For me that was Ultraman, which I thought I'd get for my wife's nephew.
The show Ultraman is extremely popular here in Thailand among children still to this day so I figured if I got him that game I'd be a hero but having played it, even getting through the first fight is torture and if I can't figure it out even through trying for about half an hour, a 7 year old is probably not going to fare any better. :P

So what games were you really excited about but they turned out to be horrible?

greenberet79

Re: A game you got excited about...

Post by greenberet79 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:39 am

Transformers on the Speccy. Bought it in WHSmiths, and didn't bl00dy work! Took it back, and the replacement didn't work! Think it was those stupid tape deck volume controls that was the problem.

Anyway, I got to play in via emulation about 12 years later and it was crap.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed May 09, 2012 5:51 am

Spiderman & X-men Arcades Revenge: I've always been a fan of the Marvel heroes so was quite looking forward to playing the game. I remember getting it cheap from a car boot sale and still fealing ripped off. The levels felt overly long and boring (especially Spidey's and Storms) with it also being incredibly difficult in places (Gambits levels especially, where you were screwed if you ran out of playing cards which was exceedingly easy to do). I've only ever managed to complete it once via emulation and even then I still hated it.

Rockman and Forte (Wonderswan): A port of the Snes version might not have worked perfectly on the handheld so instead a brand new game was made for the handheld with such amazing bosses as Compass Man (no, really). Its darn right badly designed in places, boring pretty much all the way through and has probably the weakest boss in the history of Megaman games. Yet I've still played it through 4 times so far :?

Resident Evil Survivor 2: A first person RE game that takes place in Code Veronica with Nemesis? Sounded fun at the time especially as I quite liked the original survivor and I'd just got a Guncon 2. Except it played terribly with the lightgun and it really wasn't any good at all with the exception of the inclusion of Nemesis which was cool. Should have just played RE3 through again :lol:

Ninja Gaiden 3: Not an old game, but deserves a mention just because it managed to screw up so bad compared to the games that preceeded it. I didn't expect much, just new levels to explore, new enemies to fight and many tough bosses to battle. What I got was a insanely linear game with 0 exploration, pallet swap NG2 enemies with no originality and a paultry number of bosses nearly all of which were stupidly easy to beat (and that was on hard mode)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Darkbynight

Post by Darkbynight » Wed May 09, 2012 6:03 am

Ohh my goodness yes, I remember that marvel game.
My friend loved the gambit levels, and gambit was his favorite marvel character but honestly I can't remember more about that game, other than us playing it tons.
And yes, I was disappointed by Ninja Gaiden 3 as well didn't feel quite as good as the preceding games, atleast what I can remember of them. :)

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed May 09, 2012 6:09 am

Rise of the Robots. Looked great, with fantastic graphics, played like censored!

Master of Orion 3. Me and my good mate Dave played the crap out of MO2, so we were rightly excited for the third game. Turned out to be a bit of a turd...

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed May 09, 2012 6:18 am

street fighter 2 for the c64. :(

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed May 09, 2012 6:24 am

Double Dragon V: The Shadow Falls on the Atari Jaguar

Having been a big fan of the DD games I was really really looking forward to this. Utterly woeful attempt at a video game.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed May 09, 2012 6:24 am

Darkbynight wrote:This is a thread to ask if there have been an old school game you were excited about when you heard about it but once you bought it \ downloaded it it turned out it really sucked?
For me that was Ultraman, which I thought I'd get for my wife's nephew.
The show Ultraman is extremely popular here in Thailand among children still to this day so I figured if I got him that game I'd be a hero but having played it, even getting through the first fight is torture and if I can't figure it out even through trying for about half an hour, a 7 year old is probably not going to fare any better. :P

So what games were you really excited about but they turned out to be horrible?
Isn't Ultraman's thing that he gets beaten up until right near the end of the fight? Sounds like the game is totally accurate :lol:

Did you ever play the Macross game on the Famicom? Or the Transformers game? Man, those were disappointments.
ShadowMan wrote:Spiderman & X-men Arcades Revenge
Spiderman & X-men was the first game I had on the SNES. Yeah, some of the levels were hell. It looked and sounded amazing though, so I sort of forgave it.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Wed May 09, 2012 6:27 am

Sonic 3. I could barely sleep the night before release.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Darkbynight

Post by Darkbynight » Wed May 09, 2012 6:33 am

I remember renting power rangers, and money was very tight in my household so game rentals were a once in a while thing, so I take it home, complete it in half an hour and was left with a bitter taste in my mouth.
I loved power rangers as a kid so was completely excited when I saw the game.
I even tried turning it in for another game (The store had a policy that if you returned it in less than an hour you could do a switch, which was great if a game just refused to work.)
In the end I had to take it back home and at least it had another mode where you just chose two fighters and then duked it out, without there being a story.
Anyway, that game was a huge disappointment back then, but I think mainly that was because of the high expectations. :P

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed May 09, 2012 6:53 am

theantmeister wrote:Spiderman & X-men was the first game I had on the SNES. Yeah, some of the levels were hell. It looked and sounded amazing though, so I sort of forgave it.
I'll admit it did have some really good music on certain levels. Spidey and Gambit are the ones I most fondly remember.

I do remember playing the Transformers game for the Famicom, bloody nightmare that game is, especially as certain levels can only be cleared by going a very specific route else they looped infinitely.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:04 am

greenberet79 wrote:Transformers on the Speccy. Bought it in WHSmiths, and didn't bl00dy work! Took it back, and the replacement didn't work! Think it was those stupid tape deck volume controls that was the problem.

Anyway, I got to play in via emulation about 12 years later and it was crap.
I'd only ever played the platform game Transformers, which is a tenuous use of the license. What I didn't know is that there's a completely different version - I only discovered this when Witchfinder reviewed it on his Mastertronic Chronicles blog!

Neither really make signficant use of the all important transformations though. You'd think there'd be more scope for vehicle play but they both lack in that area.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Roo

Post by Roo » Wed May 09, 2012 10:14 am

South Park on the Nintendo 64! It looked brilliant and sounded hilarious, judging from the old CVG and N64 Mag previews - I didn't even consider the fact that this could be a bad game. I was absolutely gutted when it was delayed from December '98 to March '99, as I was wanting it to be a joint birthday (23/12) and Christmas present. Shouldn't have been; I played it for an hour and realised what a turkey it was. I felt so guilty that my folks paid £50 for it, so I stuck it out until the end, but it was rubbish.

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed May 09, 2012 10:40 am

Unreal on the Amiga. Looked amazing in static screenshots, with multiple layers of stunning scenery, streets ahead of Shadow of the Beast. Turned out it was even less playable than that game, and the scrolling was naff. On the plus side, in trying to reproduce the graphics, I ended up writing a better parallax scrolling routine on my Atari ST.

William S

Post by William S » Wed May 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Super Mario 64.
Also Fantasia on the Mega Drive and Mickey Mania on the SNES.
ImageImageImage