Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RetroMartin

Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:52 am

Whilst I think BF3 has a much more superior multiplayer, COD is better for a) muting children, Americans and French people (:p) b) quick short matches where you can get a few kills (as opposed to BF3 where some maps/matches you won't get many due to the size etc and b) you're guaranteed to level quickly which for some people is the clincher (I'm not fussed myself)

I always buy CoD games with the campaign in mind as all of the latest 6 (since COD4) have had amazing campaigns with some extremely likeable characters and fun little cinematic set pieces. BF3 had an ok campaign story but graphically it kicked CoDs arse.

Call of Duty REALLY needs to upgrade a) it's visuals in the next 2 or 3 games and b) shake the multiplayer up a bit as it is getting VERY samey. A few new game modes and a shuffling of weapons each time (with new maps) isn't really enough. Black Ops 2 has changed a little, but not a lot whereas MW3 was.....MW2..2!

My bets on the next game if it IS a sequel to MW4, they'll continue the British as the main players and bring back Marcus Burns from the Mind The Gap level (seemed very odd as a one-off level character not including Alexi Harkov as he had a point for being just one level) or they may use some other British force like the Army or the SBS or even the Navy/RAF, or they may go the bond route and use what used to be MI5 (they aren't actually called MI5 nowadays believe it or not just like the SEALs haven't been SEALs in many years :P)

On a random note I took a breather from BO2 (hit 29 on multiplayer and had to rewind the campaign as the way I'd done it to get the best ending meant me skipping a strike force mission which rendered it impossible for me to get a gun camo as completing it later on replay wouldn't unlock it!) and redid Modern Warfare 3's campaign and I'm surprised how well it holds up given the dev losses to Infinity Ward and the fact the game wasn't really much of an upgrade!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:52 am

Call of Duty REALLY needs to upgrade a) it's visuals in the next 2 or 3 games and b) shake the multiplayer up a bit as it is getting VERY samey. A few new game modes and a shuffling of weapons each time (with new maps) isn't really enough
not too bothered about the visuals, its the gameplay that matters, and in multiplayer any admiring of the scenery will usually result in a bullet in the head.

they have the perfect formula for multiplayer, absolutely no need to change it, Black Ops 2 adds some great tweaks but that is all they should do, only thing they need to look at it is improving connection issues and some of the matchmaking.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:32 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
Call of Duty REALLY needs to upgrade a) it's visuals in the next 2 or 3 games and b) shake the multiplayer up a bit as it is getting VERY samey. A few new game modes and a shuffling of weapons each time (with new maps) isn't really enough
not too bothered about the visuals, its the gameplay that matters, and in multiplayer any admiring of the scenery will usually result in a bullet in the head.

they have the perfect formula for multiplayer, absolutely no need to change it, Black Ops 2 adds some great tweaks but that is all they should do, only thing they need to look at it is improving connection issues and some of the matchmaking.
Need to clear my point up - I mentioned I buy games for their offline/campaign settings first - hence the "it could do with upgrading visuals" bit, hope that makes more sense.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:38 am

fair enough, although I don't think they will bother with a new engine this gen, im sure Black Ops 3 on the 720 will be jaw dropping.......

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:02 am

Didn't someone mention about the servers on BF3 and how it would be good if people could have their own on BLOPS?

Well, I've had a couple of crappy experiences of these servers on BF3 this weekend, i.e. admin banning you because you're owning them. Last night, pushing for a win, took the admins chopper out... and... I get banned... its rubbish.

Put me right off, why invest time in a match, if someone will rage ban you because you're better than them?

CoD looks old now, tired... I agree, they will wait to update the engine in the next gen, why would they do it now?

For me, CoD has gone from WOW with MW2 to... so what? with BLOP2 - the multiplayer is all so dated, its turning into FIFA.. tweak a bit, stuff it out the door.

Classic bubble gum gaming to be honest.... but fun anyway!
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:48 am

slacey1070 wrote:Didn't someone mention about the servers on BF3 and how it would be good if people could have their own on BLOPS?

Well, I've had a couple of crappy experiences of these servers on BF3 this weekend, i.e. admin banning you because you're owning them. Last night, pushing for a win, took the admins chopper out... and... I get banned... its rubbish.

Put me right off, why invest time in a match, if someone will rage ban you because you're better than them?
I stopped playing BF3 when rent-a-server was launched. Turned a sh*t game into and infuriatingly sh*t game.

I'm still on BC, working towards all the platinums...
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:59 am

I must admit, rage banning admins are one of the few things that ruin BF3. Just because you've killed them. The other annoying thing is when they change your team for balance when you were already in a party with a friend, so then you've both got to quit out, rejoin and try another server.

Thank god on server selection you CAN see the official DICE servers if needs be.

I must admit I'm getting tired of Black Ops 2 online, I'm an ok player, nothing special. I get a lot of kills....in exchange for a lot of deaths. This results in me never being able to enjoy most of the online content. I will *NEVER* be able to get any of the cool ass killstreaks which for me are quite a big laugh. The care package in this game stops short of any of the ones over 1000 points to get. Which is a shame as my favourite (the Warthog) is 1400 points and it's not even supposed to be the best one! I lucked out on one match and got the 1400 points.....this thing is supposed to be amazing and a little overpowered...guess what? I DID NOT GET A SINGLE KILL WITH IT :( That's just typical for me, the one thing I get that's decent...and it doesn't bloody work!

Will be going back to BF3 more as of tomorrow due to the new expansion being out for PS3 premium players. Will probably finish Black Ops 2 to Level 55 and I *MIGHT* prestige the once, but now I've learnt it's just the usual rubbish for prestiging and nothing really new I see no benefit in doing it more then once to be honest. It's a shame, Treyarch really could have done something with that.

That said I'm still loving the campaign, it's bloody brilliant.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:40 am

The Angry Jock wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:Didn't someone mention about the servers on BF3 and how it would be good if people could have their own on BLOPS?

I stopped playing BF3 when rent-a-server was launched. Turned a sh*t game into and infuriatingly sh*t game.

I'm still on BC, working towards all the platinums...
Yes, I've seen you on BC a lot lately... must hope over at some point.

BF3 isn't as bad as I first thought it was... Rush doesn't work particularly well, but conquest is good... especialling Op Metro, which can turn into a mad fire fight... and is a better multiplayer experience than any on CoD... ever.

A load of the cr*ppy kn*b players have left too, which means you can often play in squads now... and work together... until some tw*t bans you for kicking his ass.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:17 am

RetroMartin wrote:I get a lot of kills....in exchange for a lot of deaths. This results in me never being able to enjoy most of the online content. I will *NEVER* be able to get any of the cool ass killstreaks which for me are quite a big laugh. The care package in this game stops short of any of the ones over 1000 points to get. Which is a shame as my favourite (the Warthog) is 1400 points and it's not even supposed to be the best one! I lucked out on one match and got the 1400 points.....
Easy tiger.

The game has only been out less than 2 weeks, it takes time to learn all the sight lines and choke points on every map. I've only just sussed out one of the maps (the power plant one with the big tower) but with many maps I'm still walking into unsafe spots and ruining my streaks.

I wouldn't give up this early in the game.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:10 am

slacey1070 wrote:Yes, I've seen you on BC a lot lately... must hope over at some point.

BF3 isn't as bad as I first thought it was... Rush doesn't work particularly well, but conquest is good... especialling Op Metro, which can turn into a mad fire fight... and is a better multiplayer experience than any on CoD... ever.

A load of the cr*ppy kn*b players have left too, which means you can often play in squads now... and work together... until some tw*t bans you for kicking his ass.
I've been living round at mother-in-laws for the past 2 weeks and counting (due to incompetent insurance company) so as soon as she says "you can disappear" and takes over sprog duty I'm down in the den raping all with my l33t sk1ll0rz, until bed. The community is still fairly strong but you see the same faces all the time...and they're all predictable. Picking the same maps, running the same kits, hiding in the same spots. Makes my life easy, but can also be frustrating when the same two guys endlessly chopper-censored on the same map, game after game. There's a fair amount of n00blets too, which actually makes for interesting games as they do things you wouldn't expect.

Anyway, I'd possibly go back to BF3 but I have no interest in paying 4000 points for additional gubbins.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:29 am

I'll see you there! Next time I see you online and have a free evening.... quite fancy getting back into that...

I don't have the 4000msp add on either... spending £70+ on a game is nuts...

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:10 am

My headset is at home, hopefully be back in a few days...will be on every night though :oops:
Retropassion reborn

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:17 pm

Joey wrote:
RetroMartin wrote:I get a lot of kills....in exchange for a lot of deaths. This results in me never being able to enjoy most of the online content. I will *NEVER* be able to get any of the cool ass killstreaks which for me are quite a big laugh. The care package in this game stops short of any of the ones over 1000 points to get. Which is a shame as my favourite (the Warthog) is 1400 points and it's not even supposed to be the best one! I lucked out on one match and got the 1400 points.....
Easy tiger.

The game has only been out less than 2 weeks, it takes time to learn all the sight lines and choke points on every map. I've only just sussed out one of the maps (the power plant one with the big tower) but with many maps I'm still walking into unsafe spots and ruining my streaks.

I wouldn't give up this early in the game.
Sadly this is my position in every CoD game, I don't play them enough to get good enough at the maps and I do NOT have a cracking internet connection. BF3
suits me better as I can take my time with it and my connection doesn't screw it up so much. Also as said before, I'm also actually getting bored. The game *IS* the same game it has been for the last 4 years sadly with just a couple tweaks here and there. I'm only really interested in the campaign and just play the multiplayer for sh*ts and giggles :D.

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:10 am

I've only just completed MW3's campaign.. really enjoyed it.. esp the bit where you disable and infiltrate the Russian sub in NY harbour then zoom off on an inflatable boat as all the Russian fleet is destroyed by their own missiles, while fighter jets literally roar just above your head!

Am halfway through the first Black Ops campaign which has been good also...

Need to finish the World at War one and then onto BO2.. :0)

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:51 am

I've just finished the mission where you are on the USS Barack Obama and I'm already looking forward to replaying the campaign again to see what happens when you make different decisions.

As much as a linier shooting gallery the CoD campaigns are, they are always providing you with that big action blockbuster movie feel.