Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Space_turnip

Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

Post by Space_turnip » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:25 pm

Thl, thl, thl...have we not learnt that COD threads on this forum always end in tears? :wink:

Because (apparantly) it's cool to say you don't like COD nowadays, I'll stick to my uncoolness and say i'm looking forward to it. I'm still playing Black Ops now, have high hopes for the second!

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:31 pm

Black Ops online is brilliant, the best balanced of the COD multiplayer, cant wait for the sequel.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:36 pm

Damn right it is. It also helps that I've played it so much i'm rather good at it! Unlike MW3...where apparantly I am unable to kill anything.

thl

Post by thl » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:42 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Black Ops online is brilliant, the best balanced of the COD multiplayer, cant wait for the sequel.
Space_turnip wrote:Damn right it is. It also helps that I've played it so much i'm rather good at it! Unlike MW3...where apparantly I am unable to kill anything.
Have to agree with both of you. I thought the online multiplayer was well defined in terms of the gameplay and seemed to have so much luck (and success) with it.

Will be interested to see how this new one turns out.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:49 pm

Well, I like Black Ops story but I'm really sick of how linear the games are now and I wish they would try something different.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:20 pm

I know its a good series but personally I lost interest after MW2, I tried black ops but ended up taking it back the very next day iirc. Its the online that kills it for me, unless you are freakishly good to begin with, or have the time to practice to get to a good standard all you get is frustration. I much prefer the Halo series, I feel the Multiplayer is far more balanced and more fun as a result. The campaigns are just as good too.

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Eat your nans pants

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:28 pm

Not played any CODs yet but I'm actually more interested in trying one for the single player mode, Black Ops does sound intriguing. Though a lot of people seem to say most of the effort goes into the multiplayer side of things, leaving the story mode short and linear. This seems to go for a lot of modern FPSs.

Do any current shooters employ the Goldeneye 64 style objective system these days? That would be a good way to give the single player more longevity as well as a bit more freedom regarding how you go about completing the objectives.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:40 pm

pratty wrote:Not played any CODs yet but I'm actually more interested in trying one for the single player mode, Black Ops does sound intriguing. Though a lot of people seem to say most of the effort goes into the multiplayer side of things, leaving the story mode short and linear. This seems to go for a lot of modern FPSs.

Do any current shooters employ the Goldeneye 64 style objective system these days? That would be a good way to give the single player more longevity as well as a bit more freedom regarding how you go about completing the objectives.
Well, its been a very long time since I played Goldeneye, so I couldnt begin to answer you directly. But if you are looking for a superlative single player FPS experience then look no further than Half Life 2 and its follow on episodes.

Eat your nans pants

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:53 pm

crusto wrote:
pratty wrote:Not played any CODs yet but I'm actually more interested in trying one for the single player mode, Black Ops does sound intriguing. Though a lot of people seem to say most of the effort goes into the multiplayer side of things, leaving the story mode short and linear. This seems to go for a lot of modern FPSs.

Well, its been a very long time since I played Goldeneye, so I couldnt begin to answer you directly. But if you are looking for a superlative single player FPS experience then look no further than Half Life 2 and its follow on episodes.
Yeah I'd love to play Halflife 2 actually, thanks. for the reminder. Loved the first one.

The Goldeneye objectives where you'd do a level on easy and you'd more or less just have to get to the end. Then you could play it on medium and the level would open up further and you'd have objectives to complete along the way, and maybe a little back tracking as a result. Then you could play it on hard with even more objectives and obviously a lot more challenge. As I recall Perfect Dark and the Timesplitters games were the same.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:26 pm

Get yourself the Orange box mate, you wont regret it. Theres so much value for money in there (even at full price) it is an absolute must. HL doesnt play out like Goldeneye but theres plenty of variety in how you go about completing it. The Gravity gun is one of the best FPS weapons I have used.

Eat your nans pants

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:27 pm

Half-life 2 is the god of the single player FPS, nothing touches it.
Black-ops has the best COD multi-player IMO, it has better balance than MW3.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

James A

Post by James A » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:47 pm

[quote="pratty"]Not played any CODs yet but I'm actually more interested in trying one for the single player mode, Black Ops does sound intriguing. Though a lot of people seem to say most of the effort goes into the multiplayer side of things, leaving the story mode short and linear. This seems to go for a lot of modern FPSs. quote]

Don't bother with Black ops if thats the case. Go with the Modern Warfare ones. Black Ops was a real step back for the series and was very bug ridden. In fact ill open a can of worms straight away for saying this but go for the Infintiy Ward games every time on single and multi player. Compare MW1 to World At War, MW2 to Black Ops Treyarch ones are just inferior, dragging on the good work Infinty ward has done and somehow still doing a censored job despite having a year to improve things.

I won't be geting this one when it comes out after shelling out for the original Black Ops. MW3 was everything i expected and more. BO2 im expecting a half finished mess of a game.

thl

Post by thl » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:01 am

James A wrote:Don't bother with Black ops if thats the case. Go with the Modern Warfare ones. Black Ops was a real step back for the series and was very bug ridden.
Speaking of the PS3 version, it can be buggy at some time. The online multiplayer was met with some connectivity issues too, which seemed to ruin the experience.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:11 am

James A wrote:Don't bother with Black ops if thats the case. Go with the Modern Warfare ones. Black Ops was a real step back for the series and was very bug ridden. In fact ill open a can of worms straight away for saying this but go for the Infintiy Ward games every time on single and multi player. Compare MW1 to World At War, MW2 to Black Ops Treyarch ones are just inferior, dragging on the good work Infinty ward has done and somehow still doing a censored job despite having a year to improve things.

I won't be geting this one when it comes out after shelling out for the original Black Ops. MW3 was everything i expected and more. BO2 im expecting a half finished mess of a game.
For single player, every COD game (since the second one on PC) has been sub-par. It's all massive firefights and not much else. Half Life 2, as people have said, is the game to go for, still the best FPS ever made.

But...

Black Ops isn't that bug ridden. The online is smooth (and has been for a long time - spawning issues are not a problem now) and was a vast improvement over MW2's floaty feel. Before Black Ops I would of agreed with you that the treyarch games were vastly inferior (In fact Black Ops was the only Cod game i've not bought a special edition for because I was expecting nothing after WaW), but Treyarch made a much better online game than MW2 was. For one thing they remembered to put the fun in the game (something MW3 seemed to forget), and as a multiplayer game it feels like an up to date version of Quake 3/UT mixed with the original COD. In fact, it's the closest any of the COD games has got since 4, to the original game's multiplayer. MW3 was, and is, a mess. The loadout system was a mess, the maps are awful mazes and it felt like running through treacle. BO was everything a COD game should be, MW3 was awful.

TO hell with BF vs COD, it's the COD vs COD arguments that i'm up for ;)
(obviously, it's all a matter of opinion, and a lot of people think we're both idiots for liking either game; no doubt I'll hate BO2 and suddenly develop a taste for MW3 but hey!)