1992 - Let's go back

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

theantmeister

Re: 1992 - Let's go back

Post by theantmeister » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:27 am

IronMaidenRule wrote:
crusto wrote:Ahh, Waynes World, Garth Rules! Ive probably got it all wrong here IMR but I have a feeling you look just like him :D
:lol: , indeed I am the complete opposite to Garth, much taller, wider and more metal!
More metal than Garth?! Is your real name Ted Theodore Logan by any chance? :wink:

steve82

Post by steve82 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:58 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
I had a SNES with Mario Kart and FIFA but to be honest, I was 19 and so booze and fanny were far more important

according to wikipedia the 1st fifa was released in

. It was shipped for Christmas 1993, named FIFA International Soccer,

i do not know what football game you were playing on your super nintendo in 1992 but it deffo was not fifa

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:12 pm

Could have been Super Soccer or Striker? I got Super Soccer recently and it's suprisingly good.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:33 pm

theantmeister wrote:
IronMaidenRule wrote:
crusto wrote:Ahh, Waynes World, Garth Rules! Ive probably got it all wrong here IMR but I have a feeling you look just like him :D
:lol: , indeed I am the complete opposite to Garth, much taller, wider and more metal!
More metal than Garth?! Is your real name Ted Theodore Logan by any chance? :wink:
:lol: , Bill and Ted was awesome!! Need to chuck in Airheads as another film reference!

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:13 pm

steve82 wrote:Bub&Bob wrote:
I had a SNES with Mario Kart and FIFA but to be honest, I was 19 and so booze and fanny were far more important

according to wikipedia the 1st fifa was released in

. It was shipped for Christmas 1993, named FIFA International Soccer,

i do not know what football game you were playing on your super nintendo in 1992 but it deffo was not fifa
RE: Fifa

You are spot on, I got Fifa for the MD for crimbo '93. Im certain it had not long been released, and im pretty certain the Snes version didnt surface for a while after that. I would hazard a guess on Striker. Super Soccer was good, but its just PCE formation Soccer in mode 7.

Eat your nans pants

thl

Post by thl » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:25 pm

I was still playing the Master System 1 as Sonic The Hedgehog, Lucky Dime Caper, Speedball and Super Kick-Off were played regularly during that time. It wasn't until a new computer arrive when my eldest brother bought the Amiga 1200, bundled with Zool, Pinball Dreams, Striker and Transwriter. Although it was mainly use for education purpose, I was lucky to play on it as Zool became my first choice. Plus Sensible Soccer was played so often too as my brothers use to battled it out in the league table every night.

Then came my favourite moment when the SNES arrived as I finally get to play Street Fighter II for the first time. Me and my brothers use to sit in front of the Philips monitor and taking turns as we became overwhelmed by this incredible looking 2D fighting game.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:26 pm

I would have been 10 in '92. I would have had a Game Boy, which at that point was my first and only console. I certainly wanted a SNES, and was promised one if I passed my 11 Plus exam. Luckily my parents fulfilled that promise, otherwise my life would have been ruined to such a degree I'd probably be a crack head gang member by now

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:52 am

Or a dreamcast fanboi......lolz

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:19 am

Having been playing my Master System for a couple of years, and watching in Envy as my elder brother was playing his megadrive.......Christmas 1992 I finally got my hands on a Super Nintendo with Super Tennis & Super Soccer as the bundle (which was purchased on the weekly from one of those catalogues, Kays I think.....)

Just loved playing Super Soccer, the rules were a little off, but it showed the Mode 7 power of the SNES......and Super Tennis was the best Tennis game available upto that point (I did later get Jimmy Connor's which we spent plenty of time on!)

After I got it, my poor old Master Sytem sat there collecting dust for a while.......

And Gamesmaster & I am sure the Crystal Maze was on C4 that year......

quantum

Post by quantum » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:41 am

c:\Wolf3d.exe :mrgreen:

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:08 pm

eeztheman wrote:Having been playing my Master System for a couple of years, and watching in Envy as my elder brother was playing his megadrive.......Christmas 1992 I finally got my hands on a Super Nintendo with Super Tennis & Super Soccer as the bundle (which was purchased on the weekly from one of those catalogues, Kays I think.....)

Just loved playing Super Soccer, the rules were a little off, but it showed the Mode 7 power of the SNES......and Super Tennis was the best Tennis game available upto that point (I did later get Jimmy Connor's which we spent plenty of time on!)

After I got it, my poor old Master Sytem sat there collecting dust for a while.......

And Gamesmaster & I am sure the Crystal Maze was on C4 that year......
Re Super Tennis:

It was indeed a brilliant game, second only to Final Match Tennis on the PCE :wink: If you havent played it yet I really recommend it. Whilst Super easily beats it in terms of graphics, sound etc. Its in the gameplay itself where FMT rules supreme.

Eat your nans pants

Evander

Post by Evander » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:44 pm

thl wrote:It wasn't until a new computer arrive when my eldest brother bought the Amiga 1200, bundled with Zool, Pinball Dreams, Striker and Transwriter.
I got the same box of games with my A600 Weird Wild & Wicked pack just before Christmas. I was able to trade in my C64 and disk drive for £130, and got £75 for my NES with 4 games and £40 for my Formula One Scalextric set via local newspaper ads. That meant finding another £110 for the Amiga pack.

I seem to remember the game I played most initially was the Amiga Format demo disk of Christmas Lemmings.

Evander

Post by Evander » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:47 pm

crusto wrote:
Re Super Tennis:

It was indeed a brilliant game, second only to Final Match Tennis on the PCE :wink: If you havent played it yet I really recommend it. Whilst Super easily beats it in terms of graphics, sound etc. Its in the gameplay itself where FMT rules supreme.
Ditto. Love that game and am very glad that someone on this forum drew my attention to it last year.

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:10 am

92-96 are my gaming dark years

the only time I didn't own either a console or computer

(started college in 92, too busy going out and getting pissed and hopefully laid to play video games lol)

Probabaly played on my brothers (err either MegaDrive or SNES at the time, he had both but not at same time)
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Richtendo

Post by Richtendo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:42 pm

I remember going on a school trip to France in 1992 with a Game & Watch (Parachute) and coming back on my birthday to receive a Gameboy. Fond memories.
Coupled with that, I got a SNES for Christmas 92' and really got into games from then on.