If one game could be remade for today...what would it be

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Quaid

Post by Quaid » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:54 pm

For me it would have to be Elite, obviously.

Completely free roaming, filled-in textured graphics, totally online and populated with players all over the world. The potential is awesome.

If only we could raise a stack of cash to persuade Braben and Bell to speak to each other.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:27 pm

Quaid wrote:For me it would have to be Elite, obviously. Completely free roaming, filled-in textured graphics, totally online and populated with players all over the world. The potential is awesome. If only we could raise a stack of cash to persuade Braben and Bell to speak to each other.
Alternatively, just go play Eve Online...
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:24 am

What might be more interesting would be to take a modern 3D game and give it a decent 2D makeover for a classic platform like the Spectrum, C64, CPC or whatever. I think a few modern games might be improved in this way.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:53 am

Mutant League Hockey :)

Turrican

Post by Turrican » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:58 pm

Moonstone. There's been nothing quite like it since it came out, and it would also have a great addition if it were made online with 4 humans controlling the knights... it would be outstanding.

If I could have another though, it would be SplatterHouse. To me, one of the the most underrated arcade games Namco ever released. A Devil May Cry roam-about with Cleavers and Sticks would be amazing.
It's like an old pair of slippers, isn't it?

Hungry Horace

Re:

Post by Hungry Horace » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:39 am

Turrican wrote:Moonstone. There's been nothing quite like it since it came out, and it would also have a great addition if it were made online with 4 humans controlling the knights... it would be outstanding.

If I could have another though, it would be SplatterHouse. To me, one of the the most underrated arcade games Namco ever released. A Devil May Cry roam-about with Cleavers and Sticks would be amazing.
Seconded on Moonstone. It would make a superb co-op or deathmatch experience, as well as be a potential online winner.

Imagine the bestiary of Ratmen, dragons, trolls, etc; all rendered with current-gen gloss. And the scope for those grotesque and spectacular death moves would be sheer bliss. Until the Daily Mail get on their tedious 'ban this sick filth' soapbox and bore us with their values.
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:15 am

Anybody mentioned Panzer Dragoon Saga?

It just needs a spit & polish to Orta standards of eye candy, you can leave the rest well alone. :P

Oh to fight Atolm again ^_^

smila

Post by smila » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:25 am

we did start a remake of paradroid a while ago - i got all the gfx done so hopefully we'll get back to it next year -
here's a few screen shots

http://www.retroremakes.com/forum/attac ... stid=23505
http://www.retroremakes.com/forum/attac ... stid=23216
god created the sid chip so hubbard could make music

Ben

Re:

Post by Ben » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:40 am

TheShend wrote:Anybody mentioned Panzer Dragoon Saga?

It just needs a spit & polish to Orta standards of eye candy, you can leave the rest well alone. :P

Oh to fight Atolm again ^_^
Yep, id second that. Also throw in the option to play through again with your fully powered up dragon, of at least a few levels filled with enemies if not the full game.
Also Shining force 3, all 3 parts in english, on one disc. Again the game still holds up (i played through them all this year) so its purely cosmetic. Oh and while we're at it, NiGHTS on the revolution would be a nice remake

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:02 am

smila wrote:we did start a remake of paradroid a while ago - i got all the gfx done so hopefully we'll get back to it next year
I take it nothing further's been heard of WiDDY's GBA Paradroid port? *sigh*
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

dust

Re:

Post by dust » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:35 am

Quaid wrote:For me it would have to be Elite, obviously.

Completely free roaming, filled-in textured graphics, totally online and populated with players all over the world. The potential is awesome.

If only we could raise a stack of cash to persuade Braben and Bell to speak to each other.
I'll second that. Whatever happened to the long-promised Elite IV that Braben was supposedly developing? After hearing all his false promises for years I gave up on it...

http://www.frontier.co.uk/games/elite4/faq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_4

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:13 pm

Ah the tea is like a maid in winter
Last edited by koopa42 on Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

andy vaisey

Re:

Post by andy vaisey » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:26 pm

smila wrote:we did start a remake of paradroid a while ago - i got all the gfx done so hopefully we'll get back to it next year...
Yes, I'm still waiting (patiently)... :wink:

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:31 pm

Night Mission Pinball. Or some other pinball. For my PSP. Tilted on the side for the correct perspective.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:10 pm

Turbo Esprit. Oh wait, that's already been done; it's called GTA III.

Would be interesting to see Space Invader remade in first person: see the bombs dropping directly onto you, the size of the base as the cover eventually disappears to see the invader looking down at you, etc.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"