If one game could be remade for today...what would it be

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

cheeky_muffin
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:53 pm

If one game could be remade for today...what would it be

Post by cheeky_muffin » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:01 pm

As the title mentions, if there was one game that could be remade for today either by a company or by a talented fan, would what you like to see?

Odd choices in a way but I would like to see Durell's Turbo Esprit. Sort of a very pre Grand Theft Auto. I use to enjoy the little blip noise it made when I would run over a pedesterian walking along the road crossing!

Kikstart was another, mainly for the theme and the jumping over buses!

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6761
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:30 pm

For me it has to be Strider (my second favourite game after Robotron).

I know a sequel came out in the arcades and on the PlayStation - even though the DC would have done it better justice - but I'd love to see a third game in the series.

Stick it on the PSP, keeps it 2 or 2.5 d and make sure that there's a bloody big mountain to run down. Job done.
Image

The Universal
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:25 pm
Location: Cornwall

Post by The Universal » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:37 pm

There are so many, by remake im guessing you mean updated to todays standards.

I would love to see a full on remake of Pyjamarama, maybe changing the playfield to isometric rather than the 2D of the original. Wally would keep his character while becoming even more immersed in his world.

I actually believe this will be the next exploration of old ip, if companies looked to their 2D classics and kept everything about it but stretched it over a 3D or isometric world I think it maybe quite interesting. imagine a 3D space panic, same level design but in 3D.

Devil Crash would be amazing if it recieved a nip and tuck, and they reproduced that fantastic music.

Bounder on cbm 64 would make for a great distraction too. Too addictive for a desktop though.
Just where is Mickey T?

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6761
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:41 pm

The Universal wrote:
Bounder on cbm 64 would make for a great distraction too. Too addictive for a desktop though.
Speaking of desktops Mike, head on over to http://www.retrospec.sgn.net there are some superb remakes there.
Image

The Universal
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:25 pm
Location: Cornwall

Post by The Universal » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:58 pm

Nice!
Just where is Mickey T?

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Post by markopoloman » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:31 pm

I would love to see a full remake of 'One Man and His Droid'!

I would spend Hours and Hours playing that - with Rob Hubbards music blairing out of the speakers at full volume - so I couldn't hear my mum shouting at me to turn it down!
Simple idea for a game - fetch sheep-like creatures in a particular order to move onto the next level. It just seemed to hit the right spot for me :)

User avatar
LeeT
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:36 pm

Post by LeeT » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:13 pm

Willow Pattern Adventure - Though I suspect it would be in 3D, instead of a 2D platformer!

User avatar
FishyFish
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:44 pm

Post by FishyFish » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:12 am

Paradroid, 'nuff said. It would actually work very well in a full-on 3D version with a first-person perspective.

Or what about a Nights style update of Gribbly's Day Out?

Would love to see a Wally Week update too - Even a nice 2D version for one of the handhelds would be good.

Morkin
Posts: 2679
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:37 am

Post by Morkin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:18 am

I'd love to see the likes of Underwurlde & Knight Lore on the Nintendo DS. Can't see it ever happening though... :(

User avatar
mechamonkey
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:32 am
Location: W.Midlands

Post by mechamonkey » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:47 am

Id like to see a Starglider 3 at some point

Dragontorc definately and another Magic Knight game :)
Born from an egg on a mountain top

Jimster
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:17 am
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re:

Post by Jimster » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:51 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
The Universal wrote:
Bounder on cbm 64 would make for a great distraction too. Too addictive for a desktop though.
Speaking of desktops Mike, head on over to http://www.retrospec.sgn.net there are some superb remakes there.
As shiney as *some* of Retrospecs output is, they are not the be-all and end-all of the remakes scene as seemingly maintained by the popular press. There are a great many decent remakes out there by other similarly deserving retro fans.

We haven't found any Bounders or One Man and His Droids, but there are a couple of nice Pyjamarama remakes around...

One
Two

If there's a remake to be found, we'll have found it (we hope ;)) Just google for remakes...
Jimster
Rewind Editor

For your free, regular slice of retro journalism!

User avatar
CraigGrannell
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am
Contact:

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:55 am

FishyFish wrote:Paradroid, 'nuff said. It would actually work very well in a full-on 3D version with a first-person perspective.
That's been mooted by many in the past, but I've always utterly failed to see how a de-facto 3D Paradroid could work, because so much of the gameplay mechanic required you to be able to "see" all around you (and then run away by shooting behind you). I suppose with a decent radar system and VERY well-defined controls it'd be possible, but I'm not entirely convinced.

As for the game I'd love to see remade, it has to be Stunt Car Racer. I'd like to see the same thing happen to that game as per OutRun 2. In other words, I don't want Stunt Car Racer: generic Gran Turismo boring as crap edition—I want to see an up-to-the-minute arcade racing game, but with current-gen graphics, a shed-load of new tracks, a choice between drag racing (as per the original) and "standard" racing (with several cars on the track at once), and therefore, by definition, a more complex league system. I don't, however, want to "tweak" the car, or chosoe the tyres. Chances of such a game ever happening: zero.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

User avatar
FishyFish
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:44 pm

Re:

Post by FishyFish » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:32 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
FishyFish wrote:Paradroid, 'nuff said. It would actually work very well in a full-on 3D version with a first-person perspective.
That's been mooted by many in the past, but I've always utterly failed to see how a de-facto 3D Paradroid could work, because so much of the gameplay mechanic required you to be able to "see" all around you (and then run away by shooting behind you). I suppose with a decent radar system and VERY well-defined controls it'd be possible, but I'm not entirely convinced.
Although you could see the floor layout, you couldn't see any other droids unless they were in your line of sight though, which is why I think a first-person version could work quite well. You could have sounds and lighting to help alert you to the presence of other droids.

Still, I'd be just as happy with a 2D re-make.

Dr Derek Doctors
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:12 pm
Location: Stratford Upon Avon
Contact:

Re:

Post by Dr Derek Doctors » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:36 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:For me it has to be Strider (my second favourite game after Robotron).

I know a sequel came out in the arcades and on the PlayStation - even though the DC would have done it better justice - but I'd love to see a third game in the series.

Stick it on the PSP, keeps it 2 or 2.5 d and make sure that there's a bloody big mountain to run down. Job done.
Have you played Osman on MAME (0.84 onwards) then?

Oh, and my ideal game for a remake? Rex! On the DS or PSP with all the pyrotechnics they can bring to the table for a 2D game. Or even better, a PC freeware remake using titchy graphics on a huge screen for epic-scale carnage.

User avatar
CraigGrannell
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am
Contact:

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:48 pm

FishyFish wrote:Although you could see the floor layout, you couldn't see any other droids unless they were in your line of sight though
But that did mean you could see in front and behind you. That said, there's no reason why you couldn't have a multi-view version, showing the "3D" and overhead "classic" view simultaneously, along with information about the droid you've hijacked, deck plans, and so on.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests