Happy 30th birthday to the ZX Spectrum

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

adippm82

Re: Happy 30th birthday to the ZX Spectrum

Post by adippm82 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:16 pm

Happy Birthday to the computer of my youth, ever since I played Pssst at the school computer club, I knew one day a Spectrum would be mine.

All four of mine still work fine, fired up the +3 and had a go on Exolon. Tomahawk, and Dan Dare 3.

To celebrate I want to share pictures of my Disc games for you to see..before packing the boxes up in the attic, the discs stay by the machine in cases though.

fgasking

Post by fgasking » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:23 pm

Happy birthday!

I was a C64 user myself and just about avoided the playground arguments - instead getting caught up in arguements with Master System and NES owners during the early 90's :-) However, I many a time got to play on my friend's Spectrum+2 - playing the Dizzy games and various other Codemaster titles. I always remember playing Kwik Snax and being shocked to find a vastly different game to the C64 version (both great in their own right though) and being treated to that awesome title screen of the Dizzy characters playing instruments.

Wasn't until around 1996/97 when my parents picked up a 48K from a charity shop and a bundle of games for £20, that I started enjoying some of the great conversions like Chase HQ and Bombjack after raiding all the second hand shops of all the games they were selling off dirt cheap. Also got really into a software house sim by Incentive called "Millionaire" - which I occasionally dig out from time to time.

I'm blown away by the amount of new software released still on the machine - World Of Spectrum's daily updates are mindblowing. Some of the new stuff being produced (especially Gamex, Rallybug, Splattr) is pretty awesome.
Hunting and reporting on lost/unreleased games...

C64 - http://www.gtw64.co.uk
All formats - http://www.gamesthatwerent.com (Inc links for Amiga, PC, 3DO)
My blog - http://fgasking.wordpress.com

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:05 pm

Happy Birthday to the Speccy!

I had one given to me when I was about 5 years old. I used to get my Dad to load the games for me, although I couldn't quite understand why it took so long compared to the my NES. Ahh, fond memories ^^

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:21 pm

Never owned one in my life yet I still have enormous respect and affection for it just for the era it represents. We shall never see its like again, that's for sure.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:31 pm

Remember attending Gamesmaster Live in 1992 and picking up masses of Speccy games for very little money - all new-ish stuff - basically in bargain bins. It was like heaven - spent about £12 and had bags full of games. Also remember grabbing the Dizzy collection at the same time as Golden Axe 2 on the MD and a Maverick Joystick.Probably got more play from the Dizzy collection than GA2.For a tiny fraction of the price.

I tend to buy speccy games even now - if i see them languishing in charity shops - often emulate them later as I usually have a good read of the inlay and fancy a go.

Much as I love the speccy , I prefer to emulate these days.

Pinhead7

Post by Pinhead7 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:27 am

Forgot to say happy birthday speccy yesterday. I remember buying mine with the the insurance money when we were burgled and I'm embarresed to say that they took my Mattel Aquarius. Fortunately I was working at Boots Cookshop at the time and got a discount at Boots for my speccy.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:13 am

I never owned a Spectrum, or even knew such a thing existed until a few years ago. I did enjoy reading Rock, Paper, Shotgun's tribute though.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:30 pm

30 years have flown by , not many days pass though without using my speccy though !!

A truly remarkable piece of machinery that will always be top of the pile for memories / favourite games and wallowing in nostalgia !
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

Arque

Post by Arque » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:15 pm

I enroled at Uni studying Multi-Media Technology and passed after previously only being exposed to a Spectrum + :D

Zagrebo

Post by Zagrebo » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:39 pm

A belated (for these forums anyway) Happy 30th Birthday ZX Spectrum!

Eeeeeh, I remember when it cost five shillings and ha'penny. Everyone stood for the BEEP version of the National Anthem when it started up and it was in black and white at first. Hancock's Manic Miner was the game everyone loved but he fell out with everyone apart from "Bounty" Bob eventually and then Matthew Smith went missing. The whole family would gather around the wireless whilst the BBC broadcast the latest games which didn't load half the time. It's popularity really took off when rationing ended and it was allowed 48K. Great days!
http://mattyongames.wordpress.com/

Indie gaming and retrogaming blog by me

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:21 am

Zagrebo wrote:Eeeeeh, I remember when it cost five shillings and ha'penny. Everyone stood for the BEEP version of the National Anthem when it started up and it was in black and white at first. Hancock's Manic Miner was the game everyone loved but he fell out with everyone apart from "Bounty" Bob eventually and then Matthew Smith went missing. The whole family would gather around the wireless whilst the BBC broadcast the latest games which didn't load half the time. It's popularity really took off when rationing ended and it was allowed 48K. Great days!
Haha - You forgot to mention the RAM Pack falling off and disappearing down the back of the sofa half-way through the eight-hour loading times. Apart from that, you could be writing for The Register. :wink:

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Belated birthday wishes to my first computer. I can't believe it was March 1984 that started by passion for videogames. Horace goes Skiing, 3D Tanx & Thru the Wall closely followed by Underwurlde. :D
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer