Your thoughts on retro games in general

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TKM21

Your thoughts on retro games in general

Post by TKM21 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:57 pm

Hello there!

I’m a student from Staffordshire University in his final year of study. I’m doing my final year project on retro games and how much they impact games of today. I’d like to know what you guys think about retro games.

Feel free to talk about anything retro, like why you like retro to your favourite retro game. Talk about modern games as well if you want. It will all help!

Thanks in advance for the help!

RichL

Re: Your thoughts on retro games in general

Post by RichL » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:38 am

Pick a thread on this forum?

stvd

Post by stvd » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:03 am

NO! Do your own homework! :wink:

Stainy

Post by Stainy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:25 am

stvd wrote:NO! Do your own homework! :wink:
Hahaah

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:48 am

I don't see any games as retro, I've said it a hundred times before and I'll say it again, I don't go back to older games for a nostalgia kick or whatever... I've never stopped playing older games, I play them because I enjoy them.. simple really... a game is a game.. bunch of stuff moving around on a screen, whether it's Buggy Boy on the C64 or Forza on XBOX, I enjoy both...

The real question that seems to matter to a load of anorak wearing people is "what is retro?"

ulala

Post by ulala » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:01 am

the above poster is quite correct.

For many of us here who are 30s plus they are not "retro" games, but just games we played and have never stopped playing. I suppose a retro game for me would be jacks, marbles or a hula hoop!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:23 am

He should be made to write a fifteen thousand word dissertation titled "What is retro?" as punishment for being such a lazy git!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:16 am

ulala wrote:For many of us here who are 30s plus they are not "retro" games, but just games we played and have never stopped playing. I suppose a retro game for me would be jacks, marbles or a hula hoop!
First time I have ever heard anyone say that actually. I call them retro games and I am well into my 30's

But to carry on a theme, just look around the forum and you should have enough to go on.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:48 am

SexyWayne wrote:I don't see any games as retro, I've said it a hundred times before and I'll say it again, I don't go back to older games for a nostalgia kick or whatever... I've never stopped playing older games, I play them because I enjoy them.. simple really... a game is a game.. bunch of stuff moving around on a screen, whether it's Buggy Boy on the C64 or Forza on XBOX, I enjoy both...

The real question that seems to matter to a load of anorak wearing people is "what is retro?"
Interesting viewpoint, although if the concept of "retro" doesn't exist then Darren needs to change the name of the magazine :wink:
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:49 pm

TKM21 wrote:Hello there!

I’m a student from Staffordshire University in his final year of study. I’m doing my final year project on retro games and how much they impact games of today. I’d like to know what you guys think about retro games.

Feel free to talk about anything retro, like why you like retro to your favourite retro game. Talk about modern games as well if you want. It will all help!

Just cut and paste large swathes of text from this baby: http://www.amazon.co.uk/1001-Video-Game ... =1-1-spell but make sure to change the odd word here and there. Makes it seem like you've actually done some research of your own. :)
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:36 pm

In general, they were the games that used to be new but are now old. I don't see much of an essay here. Maybe a dissertation on 'are games art?'.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:47 pm

Call me a forum snob if you like, but im in a complaining mood today so rollocks :wink: . But dont you think its a bit naughty to drop in to a forum you have yet to contribute eff all to and expect loads of help from everyone?

Eat your nans pants

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:01 pm

crusto wrote:Call me a forum snob if you like, but im in a complaining mood today so rollocks :wink: . But dont you think its a bit naughty to drop in to a forum you have yet to contribute eff all to and expect loads of help from everyone?
A quick Google search reveals he's dropped the same post on several other gaming forums too without having contributed "eff all" at those places either... so we're not that special! :mrgreen:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:12 pm

TKM21 wrote:

how about reading some threads on the forum you just posted in numbnuts? lazy much?

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:15 pm

HEAVYface wrote:
TKM21 wrote:

how about reading some threads on the forum you just posted in numbnuts? lazy much?
Typical student, full to the brim with knowledge, bottoming out with common sense :lol:

Eat your nans pants