Should i get gynoug or street fighter for megadrive ?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

shiftytigger

Re: Should i get gynoug or street fighter for megadrive ?

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:14 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:
killbot wrote:
shiftytigger wrote:I would say I certainly dont think SF2 on the MD is the worst version
It's narrowly worse than the SNES version IMO but there's not much in it. The biggest problem is having to buy a 6-button pad to go with it if you don't already have one, because playing it with a 3-button pad is a right ballache. With the C64, Spectrum and early mobile phone versions available the MD version is certainly very safe from accusations of being the worst version around!
You forgot the Master System and Game Boy conversions, not to mention all those NES bootlegs!

Not forgetting the 'ok till it moves' Amiga version and the shambolic but brave attempt on the speccy.

As for Snes v MD versions you can only really compare Turbo with SCE to be fair and though now they look and sound a bit rough - they are still playable old versions of a much updated 'favourite. The original Snes version is godawful now,but we still enjoyed it back in the day.

My vote still goes on Gynoug , as it is a great shooter.

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:52 pm

Gynoug, easy decision, Street Fighter has got better with every iteration, if you want SF, get Super Street Fighter 4 with a fight stick.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:12 pm

in Gynoug, you get to shoot a giant green faced penis monster untill it explodes.

richie freebird

Post by richie freebird » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:46 pm

shiftytigger wrote:Not forgetting the 'ok till it moves' Amiga version
Is the Amiga version widely viewed as pretty bad then? I grew up with that version and loved it at the time, though after not playing it for over 15 years I really can’t remember what it was like in comparison to other versions. I usually play the Mega Drive version these days, though I do own it on SNES plus various other platforms on compilations and emulations. That Master System effort is pretty bizarre; 2 buttons just aren’t enough for Street Fighter 2!
And this bird you'll never change...

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:17 pm

Yeah, Gynoug from me too. An utter brilliant shooter, that's gorgeous to look at, and is easy to play (at first). Plus, if you have a version of SFII on another system anyway, I think it might be a redundant purchase. And Alien 3 is also a damn good choice. It very different to the SNES version, and is every bit as challenging.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:47 am

Dont get me wrong - the amiga version was all we could get our hands on at my mates house , so you make do and get the most fun you can squeeze out of it. We played it a lot but 1 button attacking is a bizarre method,though you can make fun out of any game if it is all you can get.

Looks nice but animation is choppy. Still not the worst version though...

tachi

Post by tachi » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:51 am

I remember buying Gynoud back in the 90s and still have it now but never really played it more than a few minutes.
To be honest, shumps are not really my thing, I prefer RPGs and fighting games so I'd say get SF2 :)
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?