Should i get gynoug or street fighter for megadrive ?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroDrive95

Should i get gynoug or street fighter for megadrive ?

Post by RetroDrive95 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:47 pm

so yes gamers its come down to that all important decision that we have all had to do at least once in our gaming lives. I am in a split decision between gynoug and street fighter 2 special championship edition ? but i can only buy one of them, because im buying alien 3 and sonic the hedgehog aswell.

if you could reccomend one of the other that would be great and it would be awesome too if you can leave a reason why.

thanks very much everyone
-sam

retrojc

Re: Should i get gynoug or street fighter for megadrive ?

Post by retrojc » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:56 pm

Thunderforce.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:57 pm

Gynoug all the way!

Not only is it a brilliant shoot 'em up but it's also a Megadrive exclusive. SF2 is game you have most likely played a million times before on a million different systems.

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:03 pm

^ What he said.

SF2... :lol:
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:07 pm

If you have someone else who wants to play SFII with you, then get that, if not get Gynoug.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:14 pm

Since MD games cost pocket money these days you could just get both. If not, get Gynoug. Literally every format on Earth has a version of SFII, many of which are better than the MD one, whereas Gynoug is an MD exclusive (unless it's available on VC for the Wii, can't remember).

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Lil Chillbil

Post by Lil Chillbil » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:00 pm

street fighter 2
pm me I'm always up for a multiplayer session for the following games
Gears of war 1 2 3
Call of duty 2 3 4
All of the halos
Call of duty modern warefare 2
Shadowrun

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:03 pm

Gynoug without any doubt, much more interesting than SF2 in my opinion!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:11 pm

Gynoug is the one to buy. A shmup that dares to be a little different versus a very generic (now) fighter that has horrible slowdown issues? No contest. Shmup wins all the way.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:29 pm

2 completely different games. Basically, if you're in the mood for a fighting game, get SF2, if you're in the mood for a shmup, get Gynoug.

Regardless of genre, I'd still consider Gynoug the better game though so go with that if you're only going to get one.

Assuming this is a serious topic, of course. :|
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Gynoug for the fantastic visuals. I would say I certainly dont think SF2 on the MD is the worst version - though I dont go back to Snes or MD versions now what with the million or so variants we now have. But therein really lies the answer - there are so many ports and compilations with SF2 on , you will find one for most consoles but Gynoug is a good solid shooter with pretty good graphics , in a genre that has many choices it still stands up as a recommendation now.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:09 am

shiftytigger wrote:I would say I certainly dont think SF2 on the MD is the worst version
It's narrowly worse than the SNES version IMO but there's not much in it. The biggest problem is having to buy a 6-button pad to go with it if you don't already have one, because playing it with a 3-button pad is a right ballache. With the C64, Spectrum and early mobile phone versions available the MD version is certainly very safe from accusations of being the worst version around!

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:56 am

killbot wrote:
shiftytigger wrote:I would say I certainly dont think SF2 on the MD is the worst version
It's narrowly worse than the SNES version IMO but there's not much in it. The biggest problem is having to buy a 6-button pad to go with it if you don't already have one, because playing it with a 3-button pad is a right ballache. With the C64, Spectrum and early mobile phone versions available the MD version is certainly very safe from accusations of being the worst version around!
The need for a 6 button pad goes without saying (and the MD 6 button pad is one of my favourite pads!), the buttons are much better laid out than the SNES pad especially for this game. Go an play the SNES version now and see how painfully slow it is (especially the PAL version). The MD's Championship Edition has adjustable speed which makes it the winner for me along with the fact that you can play as the boss characters and have the ability to play 2-player as the same character.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:30 am

killbot wrote:
You forgot the Master System and Game Boy conversions, not to mention all those NES bootlegs!

RichL

Post by RichL » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:39 am

Another vote for Gynoug here.