I f****** love Raiden

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

retrojc

I f****** love Raiden

Post by retrojc » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:53 pm

All of them.

Especially the one above.

Lil Chillbil

Re: I f****** love Raiden

Post by Lil Chillbil » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:10 pm

congradulations
pm me I'm always up for a multiplayer session for the following games
Gears of war 1 2 3
Call of duty 2 3 4
All of the halos
Call of duty modern warefare 2
Shadowrun

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:13 pm

Nar hes a git in a rubbish fighting game series

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:23 pm

Raiden is awesome, especially this one :mrgreen:

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:33 am

Raiden 4.

That is all.

And the Fighters games too, come to think of it.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:40 am

I was having a discussion about this the other day with my mate, we agreed that we liked every game in the series - even the ugly as hell but cool SNES version!!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:17 pm

Prefer Sub-zero myself. :mrgreen:

Thank you! I'm here all week!

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:18 pm

theantmeister wrote:Prefer Sub-zero myself. :mrgreen:

Thank you! I'm here all week!
Smoke

(I think I might have actually played Raiden something...)
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:21 pm

Actually, Raiden was the first "bullet-hell" shmup I ever saw. It was running in some cafe somewhere and the demo scared me so much I never did try it.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:32 pm

Cakes

Eat your nans pants

weakboson

Post by weakboson » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:27 pm

Never actually played a Raiden game. I'm waiting on Raiden Fighters Aces Forever.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:00 am

theantmeister wrote:Actually, Raiden was the first "bullet-hell" shmup I ever saw. It was running in some cafe somewhere and the demo scared me so much I never did try it.
"Bullet Hell"? Raiden? I hate to go all TMR-ey on you, but, are you absolutely sure?

I do love Raiden but especially Raiden II with it's 'Toothpaste Laser'. And the design of the VTOL jets is great.
Not so keen on Raiden Fighters but at least the second one allowed you to play as the original jet, changing the pick-ups from switching between laser/missile mode to upgrading either your (toothpaste) laser or your (homing) missiles, since both remain enabled.

Raiden looks like it lifted the idea of disabling tanks with one shot, but needing more hits to clear them out of the way, from Flying Shark. This was then copied all over the place, but were there any prior examples?

I've seen plenty of games obviously lifting a lot of ideas from Raiden, but one of the better ones which I also love to play is Trigon / Lightning Fighters. That has a nice mechanic where you start with no smart bombs and have to collect them as you go. And one is the brilliant 'Dragon Laser', that's a nice touch as you get to turn the tables on your enemies by launching something like those multi-sprite fire snakes from Vulcan Venture at them.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:02 am

joefish wrote:
theantmeister wrote:Actually, Raiden was the first "bullet-hell" shmup I ever saw. It was running in some cafe somewhere and the demo scared me so much I never did try it.
"Bullet Hell"? Raiden? I hate to go all TMR-ey on you, but, are you absolutely sure?
Heh, my memory isn't so good, but I'm fairly certain I remember the logo. Looking at the videos for Raiden I can't see what I was scared of. :lol:

Hmm, looking at the release dates and judging from my (admittedly poor) memory, it was probably Raiden DX. And even that doesn't look that hard!

Juggernaut Headcrush

Post by Juggernaut Headcrush » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:26 pm

Back in the days of Myspace, when you could add Flash to your profile (and blinged out animated gifs...*shudders*), I set up a wee contest with my mates on my profile page at getting a high score on this online version of Raiden...http://www.freeworldgroup.com/games4/ga ... raiden.htm...if memory serves I managed a score of 45 million. I tried it again there, and only managed 1 and 1/2 million. Admittedly, I am now using a half-decent laptop as opposed to the POS I used back in the day...

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Juggernaut Headcrush wrote:Back in the days of Myspace, when you could add Flash to your profile (and blinged out animated gifs...*shudders*), I set up a wee contest with my mates on my profile page at getting a high score on this online version of Raiden...http://www.freeworldgroup.com/games4/ga ... raiden.htm...if memory serves I managed a score of 45 million. I tried it again there, and only managed 1 and 1/2 million. Admittedly, I am now using a half-decent laptop as opposed to the POS I used back in the day...
That looks great, but it seems impossible to play a fast game like that with the cursor keys on a PC keyboard.