What was your favourite retro joystick?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Gryzor

Post by Gryzor » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:40 am

There goes Defender...

Oh, and let's not even mention text adventures :D

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:19 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:What about twin sticks?
You mean like the contorl system you have for Smash TV and Robotron?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:33 am

Correct. No buttons at all, so by your definition it must be even better than two buttons ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:07 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Correct. No buttons at all, so by your definition it must be even better than two buttons ;)
Even though it would use 8 micro switches compared to a joystick and 3 buttons which would only have 7...?

mamemeuster

Post by mamemeuster » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:36 pm

One of these badboys, the Wico Boss.

Fantastic stick.

RetroENZO

Post by RetroENZO » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:41 pm

Am I the only person that didn't break my Cheetah Quickshot joystick by playing Daley Thompson?

The weird thing was I was a keyboard person anyway. I found the QAOP SPACE the easiest control system going. I only used joysticks on games like Daley Thompson... until I got my Playstation though and then I found that playing a game with a joypad was much more intuitive than a keyboard.

Someone told me that you can use XBox 360 controllers with the USB cable and use it on a PC.. how?
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter

Madge

Post by Madge » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:43 pm

Just plug it into a USB port. My XP machine recognised it no bother.
Why retro? Because you never forget your first love.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:45 pm

RetroENZO wrote:The weird thing was I was a keyboard person anyway. I found the QAOP SPACE the easiest control system going.
You're not the only one - I fin QAOP SPACE the best keyboard configuration ever.

As for joysticks, another favourite of mine was:
The NES Advantage

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:08 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Correct. No buttons at all, so by your definition it must be even better than two buttons ;)
I suppose you could build your own controller for that, or perhaps configure an a two player X-Arcade for that. Maybe on the joypads use the analogue sticks for that sort of system. I have often thought about having one for when I play Smash TV on MAME (playing with a keyboard is a bit tricky)!

I didn't break my quickshot with Daley Thompson (although it is probrably the best stick to use on that game).

For FPS I use good old fashioned WSDA(On the keyboard) and the mouse. I know what you mean about use a keyboard being strange, but once you get used to it (combined with a mouse) on certain types of game it is the best system. Do you guys like mechanical switch driven keyboards(like the old Apple Extended, IBm Model M, or Northgate Omnikey) or membrane keyboards?

Does anyone have any fond memories of steering wheels, or analogue joysticks? Afraid I don't have that much experience with joypads, I did have one for my PC (it was a Logitech) and connected to the old style joystick port. It was ok, nothing to write home about, but I did manage to complete Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge on it (using WinUAE). I suppose joypads are a bit more relaxing to use that joystick (less pressure on your hand to move the pad/stick). Does anyone still use an old digital joystick on their PC with the Stella adapter?

Madge

Post by Madge » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:11 pm

I can't play games with different hands controlling directions. My preferred keyboard config is cursors with A, S and D as fire buttons. A previous post in this very thread contains my thoughts on retro joysticks (Konix Speedking was my weapon of choice before I discovered joypads).
Why retro? Because you never forget your first love.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:28 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:
Even though it would use 8 micro switches compared to a joystick and 3 buttons which would only have 7...?
Micro switches? Leaf switches I think ;)
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:14 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:
Micro switches? Leaf switches I think ;)
I know that you know all about the differences between Micros and Leaf but I figured not many of the others would, just wanted to keep things simple ;)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:36 pm

In that case, I'll have two analogue sticks. That gets my component count down to 4: 2 potentiometers for X and Y axis of each stick. I win ;)

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:49 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:In that case, I'll have two analogue sticks. That gets my component count down to 4: 2 potentiometers for X and Y axis of each stick. I win ;)
:lol:

rupert

Post by rupert » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:20 pm

My fave at the moment is the standerd SMS pad, might not be the best but just has so many great gaming memorys, feels very natural to hold, like being back in the womb.. err well you get the idea.

I have just got this mentalist thing in the post though, called a Manix Twins, Its kind of one controller in 2 parts, left for directions and right for A & B, imagine Resident Evil for the Wii but on your SMS, kind of...

Also, I bought a bulk load of Bug joysticks for the SMS which ive been selling on another forum (at cost price) but ive got 4 or 5 left if anyone is interested would be £4 including post within the UK, just PM me if you fancy one.