What was your favourite retro joystick?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:13 pm

Probably. Do you remember the quickshot that was made to look really sturdy. Looked like it was metal with a deluxe grip? It was still censored.

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:52 pm

BennyTheGreek wrote:I had an Amiga joypad by the company Gravis ...that was styled very similar to a SNES joypad......It was gaming nirvana.....

My Dreamcast Arcade Stick is also pretty bloody good....

I have an arcade stick for my MD as well and that is very responsive, but overall and probably for only one game.....the winner is.....

Sensi Soccer on the Amiga with THE BUG..........

Lovely and comfortable with 2 BIG buttons and a dinky little stick jutting out of the top.......It was as if the makers had taken a plaster cast mould of my cupped hand and built a joystick around it.....
The great thing about the amiga Gravis pad was that it had a screw in joystick so that you could have gamepad or joystic (although a bit fragile, I bust mine in a week and got my mate to turn a new one in brass that wouldn't break)
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:25 pm

Randall Flagg wrote:I used all of these with my amiga regularly trashin one every few months...

Was amazed to find a pic of the white one on the bottom as I picked this up whilst on holiday in Germany in a departement store bargain bucket for a couple of quid. I assumed it was a cheap bit of tat but turned out to be a top joystick that lasted until the a500 was sold on. I also love the name......"Joyboard"...ooer

Ps - Yes, I realise the pics came from a German website...Still
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

lavalyte

Re:

Post by lavalyte » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:07 pm

SirClive wrote:Probably. Do you remember the quickshot that was made to look really sturdy. Looked like it was metal with a deluxe grip? It was still censored.
The only good thing about the quickshot was the rapid fire setting.
I really couldn't stand any joystick with a banana grip, they never feel accurate enough for decent gameplaying.

My choice is the Tac-2. Very strong, very durable. Once I ripped the electronics from a quickshot out and installed a second rapid fire button, I had the perfect stick.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

shocked_the_monkey

Re:

Post by shocked_the_monkey » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:39 am

DJevAL wrote:
shocked_the_monkey wrote: DJevAL: Are you the same guy who posts on the Metal Sludge gossip board and who organised the Vain/Tigertailz concert?
Looks like we have similar tastes.
LOL

Guilty as charged guvnor!

Who are you on MS?
Same name.

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:46 am

The KingDaddyMotherF\\/cker(tm) of retro joysticks...

No messing with this big fella - after 5 minutes of frantic button bashing playing Empire Strikes Back you'd get an hour's worth of cramps in your palm and a lovely "beginner's dose" of RSI...

Aaaah those were the golden years! LOL! :lol: :lol:

felgekarp

Re:

Post by felgekarp » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:57 am

DonkeySpank wrote:The KingDaddyMotherF\\/cker(tm) of retro joysticks...

No messing with this big fella - after 5 minutes of frantic button bashing playing Empire Strikes Back you'd get an hour's worth of cramps in your palm and a lovely "beginner's dose" of RSI...

Aaaah those were the golden years! LOL! :lol: :lol:
I seem to remember those having a problem with diagonals, a mate used to use one on his C64 and could only do UDLR with it.
Splink!

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:07 pm

Nope, they could manage 8-way directional control - albeit imprecisely. It was a very basic stick, move the stick, it moves a plastic circular disc inside the base and makes a connection. Fully 8-way, which for Atari 2600 games is all you ever needed. Brilliant little controller. But as I said, it doesn't half bugger up your hand!!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:46 pm

They were fantastic for games like Daley Thompsons. Put your palm flat on the top of the stick and waggle like mad.

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:11 pm

SirClive wrote:They were fantastic for games like Daley Thompsons. Put your palm flat on the top of the stick and waggle like mad.
.... but then you end up with Daley Thompson Joystick which for those who don't know what I mean is your joystick becomes a buggered peice of plastic connected to your machine - I remember killing my speccy's keyboard playing Daley Thompson's Decathalon (I had the 128K version)

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:27 pm

I have to vote for the Speedking...it was about the only stick I could find that would work properly with my Electron.
Very ergonomic too.

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:43 pm

djcarlos wrote:I have to vote for the Speedking...it was about the only stick I could find that would work properly with my Electron.
Very ergonomic too.
I used a Speedking on my C16 - I had one of those adaptors allowing me to use 'sticks other than the sh!tty commodore ones! Good 'stick

Madge

Post by Madge » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:10 pm

I used the Speedking for years with my CPC. I remember Amstrad Action were very keen on it at the time. I thought it was a good stick - it was responsive and extremely durable - but had a couple of issues with it too. Diagonals seemed a bit tricky to hit reliably and it was less than ideal for any games requiring you to use keyboard and joystick simultaneously.
I also had another Konix stick - the Navigator - which wasn't a patch on the Speedking, mainly because the design made it painful to use. That ultra-short stick was liable to cause blisters.
My vote for worst stick ever - Amstrad's Amsoft JY2. Not only was it a horribly unresponsive, uncomfortable piece of plastic crap, but the one good idea in its design - to add an additional joystick port to it - meant Amstrad didn't bother putting a second port on the actual CPC!

Utini

Post by Utini » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:52 pm

Interesting to note that some of the above joysticks are left handers - supposing that users want to use their right hand to control movement and bash buttons with their left.

Oddly, for me anyway, if I'm playing a flight sim, I want to control movement with my right... but for most other types of games, I always prefer using the left.
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:54 pm

Im ampidextrous so it dosent bother me
Watching you sleep since 1990