My PAL Sonic Collection

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Random Hero

My PAL Sonic Collection

Post by Random Hero » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:42 pm

Mission Plan!
- Get one of every PAL Sonic game ever released boxed, complete and as close to mint as possible.
- This includes all variations where possible (e.g. Platinum/Promos/etc).

Secondary Objectives!
- Acquire copies of unique Sonic games that didn't come out in PAL territories.
- Go for games from other territories that have cool box art (i.e. Japanese releases ;P).
- Include games that cameo Sonic is some way.

I don't think my collection is as impressive as something like Shadowman's Megaman collection, but I'm quite happy with the progress I've made so far. I owned a great deal of the Sonic games already due to being a fan of the series for so long, so it's only been variations and rare games that I've had to pick up, which I guess saved me a little bit of money. :)

If you guys know of any rare variations or just general cool Sonic stuff that I'm missing then I'd appreciate the info! Seem to keep finding new stuff all the bloody time! :lol:

TheNewMonkey

Re: My PAL Sonic Collection

Post by TheNewMonkey » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:01 am

nice lot :D
which bits in there cost you the most(apart from 360/ps3 boxsets)?

also something that might be of interest to you-theres a PAL variant of the Dreamcast collection (360) that says somthing like 'contains mild violence' in a box out across the bottom of the sleeve which made me laugh, i picked that one up over the regular pal verion for that reason alone :lol:
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:37 am

Random Hero wrote:I don't think my collection is as impressive as something like Shadowman's Megaman collection
I disagree! Yours and Grizzly's collections are impressive :D Do you have any bigger pictures of the game gear, collectors edition stuff and the more obscure releases as those are the ones that really interest me. I can well imagine if it was anything like when I was going after older MM games it must have been rather frustrating tracking down certain games in good condition especially the GG stuff. Finding them boxed, and having the box in good condition with everything was the one thing I hated more than anything else when tracking down anything released in a cardboard box :evil:
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

skylarking

Post by skylarking » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:51 am

TheNewMonkey wrote:nice lot :D

also something that might be of interest to you-theres a PAL variant of the Dreamcast collection (360) that says somthing like 'contains mild violence' in a box out across the bottom of the sleeve which made me laugh, i picked that one up over the regular pal verion for that reason alone :lol:
That would be the Australia/NZ version.
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:07 am

Only problem with a Sonic collection is.

You have to have the really bad ones

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:15 am

Very nice work! Looks like you have a fair few more than I do! Some of those variants are tricky to find :) have you got the holographic cover to sonic 06? I can't see it there so one you can try and get cheap.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:29 am

I really like seeing these kinds of threads :) That's a great looking collection, fella. Nice work!

Random Hero

Post by Random Hero » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:45 am

Absolutely the Game Gear games. Tails Adventure and Sonic Labyrinth cost me about £140 each and Sonic Blast cost me £300! The last GG game I'm missing (Sonic 2 in 1) is likely to cost a similar amount too. Shame I didn't choose to go for unboxed eh? ;)

As for the rating for Dreamcast Collection that is indeed the Australian one. I don't think I'm going to go for age restriction variations unless they have a cover variation to, otherwise that alone would probably double the amount of games I'd have to go for!
ShadowMan wrote:
Random Hero wrote:I don't think my collection is as impressive as something like Shadowman's Megaman collection
I disagree! Yours and Grizzly's collections are impressive :D Do you have any bigger pictures of the game gear, collectors edition stuff and the more obscure releases as those are the ones that really interest me. I can well imagine if it was anything like when I was going after older MM games it must have been rather frustrating tracking down certain games in good condition especially the GG stuff. Finding them boxed, and having the box in good condition with everything was the one thing I hated more than anything else when tracking down anything released in a cardboard box :evil:
Why thank you sir! I certainly share your hate for cardboard boxed games. Thankfully I've been pretty lucky with the ultra rare ones (i.e. the Game Gear ones) as the ones that have eventually come up have been in bloody good condition. Although I paid over the odds for that condition!

Was there any other ones in particular Shadow or just ones that most people don't know about?
DPrinny wrote:Only problem with a Sonic collection is.

Trust me, I know that better than anyone! ;)
Grizzly wrote:Very nice work! Looks like you have a fair few more than I do! Some of those variants are tricky to find :) have you got the holographic cover to sonic 06? I can't see it there so one you can try and get cheap.
Do you mean the 360 one with the slipcover and artcards? I have that if that's the case. If not do you have a picture of it you could share? :)

Glad you're enjoying the collection guys. :)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:28 am

Random Hero wrote:Why thank you sir! I certainly share your hate for cardboard boxed games. Thankfully I've been pretty lucky with the ultra rare ones (i.e. the Game Gear ones) as the ones that have eventually come up have been in bloody good condition. Although I paid over the odds for that condition!

Was there any other ones in particular Shadow or just ones that most people don't know about?
Thats the ones, they all look in great condition. Makes me kick myself remembering that I had mint copies of Mean Bean Machine and Triple Trouble that I got on release and somehow lost the boxes to both (which is unlike me as I never threw away packaging). If it makes you feel any better, I know I paid over the odds for a few of my Megaman bits mainly due to the condition!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:39 am

Good god, I never thought there had been so many Sonic games :shock:
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:39 am

Random Hero wrote:
Absolutely the Game Gear games. Tails Adventure and Sonic Labyrinth cost me about £140 each and Sonic Blast cost me £300! The last GG game I'm missing (Sonic 2 in 1) is likely to cost a similar amount too. Shame I didn't choose to go for unboxed eh? ;)

As for the rating for Dreamcast Collection that is indeed the Australian one. I don't think I'm going to go for age restriction variations unless they have a cover variation to, otherwise that alone would probably double the amount of games I'd have to go for!
ShadowMan wrote:
Why thank you sir! I certainly share your hate for cardboard boxed games. Thankfully I've been pretty lucky with the ultra rare ones (i.e. the Game Gear ones) as the ones that have eventually come up have been in bloody good condition. Although I paid over the odds for that condition!

DPrinny wrote:Only problem with a Sonic collection is.

Trust me, I know that better than anyone! ;)
Grizzly wrote:Very nice work! Looks like you have a fair few more than I do! Some of those variants are tricky to find :) have you got the holographic cover to sonic 06? I can't see it there so one you can try and get cheap.
Do you mean the 360 one with the slipcover and artcards? I have that if that's the case. If not do you have a picture of it you could share? :)

Glad you're enjoying the collection guys. :)
yeah you got it then :)
I write for...

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:50 am

Great collection. One thing I know ill never get rid of is the special edition Sonic 2 I won in 93. Signed by developers and came with a special edition cover and T shirt.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:00 am

Random Hero wrote:the Game Gear games.
[pedantic]
So its a European collection, not a PAL one ;)
[pedantic]
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:07 am

samhain81 wrote:Great collection. One thing I know ill never get rid of is the special edition Sonic 2 I won in 93. Signed by developers and came with a special edition cover and T shirt.
Pictures! Now!
I write for...

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:32 am

Grizzly wrote:
samhain81 wrote:Great collection. One thing I know ill never get rid of is the special edition Sonic 2 I won in 93. Signed by developers and came with a special edition cover and T shirt.
Pictures! Now!
Youd probably think I was lying If I told you its in a steel, water proof box in the loft, lol. Seeing as it wasn't a personalised prize, i stored it as I know it will be worth something in a few good years.

I took a pic of it a while back to show my best friend (probably the only time ive really taken it out). Should still be on my pc or one of my backup drives, soon as I find it, I will share to all. !