Which arcade game are you great at?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JazzFunk

Re: Which arcade game are you great at?

Post by JazzFunk » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:14 pm

I used to be epic at Wardner in the arcades, I could go through it regularly on one credit without losing any lives, ditto the good-but-not-as-good MD version.

Might MAME it up when I get some time off, reckon I'd probably find my feet pretty easily after all these years, it's not the hardest game out there. ;)

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:37 pm

I used to complete Forgotten Worlds in the arcade with ease, can barely get of the 1st level on emulation.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:49 am

Don't think I excell at any of them, pretty average on all of them. :lol:

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:59 am

I always found Scramble fairly simple but the game I am best at is Carnival. Not many people can get past the 5th screen but I can :D Shame I'm rubbish at everything else!

supermario

Post by supermario » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:26 am

Gauntlet - played it for 10 hours 1 day on 1 credit - also got banned from playing it at the travelling fair!
Hyper Sports - This was one of the most competitive games at our local arcade both in terms of hi-score and world records.
Bomb Jack
Mr. Do
Out Run (although I was only 2nd best from my friends by about 10,000)
Return of the Jedi
Gryzor

Could also 1 cc Space Harrier and Salamander.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:25 am

jdanddiet wrote:What happened to Game Room? Is it brown bread?
No new games for a long time, but it's still available to download and play. Such a shame it hasn't continued to develop.
ToxieDogg wrote:
Mire Mare wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote:When people were actually bothering with Game Room on Xbox Live, I was the forum Centipede champion too :D And only narrowly lost out to felgekarp on Shao Lin's Road.
I remember this! I'm sure I was second in that tourney. I remember it as Felgekarp and I switched placed on a couple of occasions before he finally topped the ranking with 340k'ish(?) Had a lot of fun with that.... ahh the good old days of the RG forum :wink:
Yeah, you're right, I was third just underneath you I think....I remember you being at the top and I think I was coming second to you for a couple of days, was edging closer to your score....then felge overtook us both and that was the end of it for me, I just left you 2 to fight it out for first and second. Good times. :)

A real shame they dropped the ball with Game Room, it was fun to begin with. :(
I thought it was a lot of fun too, particularly because of the interest it generated on here. I'd pretty much forgotten about it until I read you post last night so I went and had a few games in My Arcade! Enjoyed it too :) I played Red Baron, Time Pilot, Shao Lin's Road, Mega(?) Zone - horizontal shmup using some kind of tank, and Super Cobra. I managed to get no where near my previous best scores! :lol:

thebear

Post by thebear » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:30 am

Flying Shark is the game I'm best at

wether i qualify as great or not I don't know, I used to be able to do all 5 normal levels on one life
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:32 pm

SOR II have been on or near WR pace
Mercs MD as above
OutRun easy enough to 1 cc
Double Dragon
Final Fight
Columns
Not to bad at Swos seen as I hardly play it these days

Erm, err erm.. Yeah Stuff!!
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Nall

Post by Nall » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:35 pm

I can usually one-credit most Capcom "Vs." fighters, partly because most machines are set at default difficulty and partly because the AI really isn't that good to begin with. I'm not nearly as good against human beings, but if I need to let off some steam on some virtual rag-dolls I can always fire up X-Men vs. Street Fighter and clean house.

I greatly admire people who are genuinely good at single-player arcade games like Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Galaga, and the like. I tried to get good at Mappy at one point, but I just couldn't cut it.

webding

Post by webding » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:04 pm

RichL wrote:Was pretty good at Paperboy all those years ago.
Yeah, I wasn't bad either, but I tried it recently at Barcade, and was abysmal; don't think I got beyond halfway down Easy Street. I wasn't even that drunk.

I think I got to the top of the high score board on Roadblasters once, but that's about it. And I was OK at Operation Wolf, but nothing special. Beyond those, nothing - I was more an enthusiastic kid than an expert. Didn't help that I grew up 70 miles from the seaside, and no local pubs or chippies had any cabs. That's the excuse anyway.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:43 am

Had some successes in the 'cades, but when the (extremely rare! :( ) opportunity now presents itself with some of these I find I am struggling somewhat; it has been 20-odd years between games, though!

Outrun - regularly scored around 40million mark
Green Beret - clocked twice (2nd run attacks with overwhelming karate-kicking ruskies, 3rd round - aiyah!)
Power Drift - Gold trophy at every race
Double Dragon - 1cc
Golden Axe - 1cc
Xybots - clocked

Those were the days, eh? :D

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:42 am

Daytona USA 1 & 2 but particularly the 1st. I can always come first effortlessly on every course and could beat anyone i played at it. I must of spent in the 100's of pounds on the 2 of them over the years in the Arcades iv been to.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

Babbage

Post by Babbage » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:55 am

I was really good at Galaxians and Moon Cresta when I was very young, but replaying them a while back all the skills had faded away, though I suspect with a bit of practice I could get my mojo back.

Most other arcade games used to soundly spank me - which is I supposed their purpose - as they want that next coin.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:33 pm

There's not many i'm good at but i used to be able to finish Golden Axe. As much as i love old skool games like Pacman, Galaxian etc....the game i was absolutely the best at was:

Hard Drivin' (the proper sit down cab with the clutch and manual gears)...i used to be able to do lap after lap (stunt) on one credit. I often used to be dragged out of it while i was still playing :lol:

Conversely, I am simply rubbish at all home conversions of it. No force feedback steering wheel at home, unfortunately. Haven't played/found a proper working cab for years now though :(
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)