Your most memorable landscapes in gaming?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Re: Your most memorable landscapes in gaming?

Post by crusto » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:06 pm

r0jaws wrote:Not really retro but Grand theft Auto, Vice City.

I spent time ignoring the missions and just cruising around listening to the music and enjoying the scenery. The first time I nearly felt immersed enough in a game to just enjoy the background.
Same here - fantastic setting, captured its era almost perfectly. Vice City was and still is a joy to explore.
Dark Souls - wonderfully depressing, you just cant wait to see whats coming next.
Demons Souls - see above.
Flashback - really immersive, the same can be said about Another World.
Dark Chronicle - Beautiful enviroments to explore.

Eat your nans pants

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:50 pm

Another vote for Another World

would also mention

Last Ninja
Prince of Persia - Sands of Time
Mass Effect (the citadel)
Skyrim

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:48 pm

Virus on the Archimedes. it was the first 3d landscape i'd seen, more recently, Metro on the 360, it has a real sense of place thats claustraphobic and derelict, love playing it despite the dodgy combat mechanics.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:46 am

Doom. The atmosphere at the time was amazing. The skyline and architecture, with the atmospheris music and sound FX was brill.

Tomb Raider. The original. The vast caverns were just something I hadn't seen in a game before.

Silent Hill. The parallel universes, from one to another. And that audio...genius.

Final Fantasy 7... the beauty of it astounds me still tbh

Sentinal. Very basic but dripped with atmosphere.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:55 am

Hovver Bovver has memorable landscaping.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:45 am

CPC Bob Winner deserves an honourable mention I suppose. Those digitised backgrounds were very impressive.

Eat your nans pants

tachi

Post by tachi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:51 am

Budly Moore wrote: more recently, Metro on the 360, it has a real sense of place thats claustraphobic and derelict, love playing it despite the dodgy combat mechanics.
Totally forgot this one, excellent game and look forward to the sequel! And you are quite right, the early scene above ground in the ash cloud felt like Silent Hill, brilliant!
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:44 am

Spyro The Dragon had some great levels with long draw distances and places to glide. Also on the PS1, Pandemonium had some neat tricks where the skybox wrap-around background images of any one stage would show both where you had come from and where you were going next.

Myst II: Riven - the main island has stunning beaches and interiors. Myst III: Exile had fantastic looking places too, though all smaller islands. The Voltaic age with its stone buildings and wrought iron walkways was probably the best of those. The sense of clambering over a rocky Mediterranean island in the warm July sun is fantastic.

Abe's Oddysee had some amazing backgrounds of towering brickwork interiors, and of dry grass and woodland outdoor environments.

Twilight Princess was the best I've seen though - being able to ride around the different regions and see all those vast canyons, the lake, bridges and castle all in one joined-up environment was something special in gaming. It puts the games on more advanced systems, with their corridor alleys and grid cities, to shame. (That said, I've yet to get a copy of Just Cause for my PS3).

Nall

Post by Nall » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:15 am

I have a few:

Terranigma (SNES, 1995)
A stunningly great little ARPG by the folks at Quintet. It manages to create a poignently beautiful playing experience through great music and environments, and features a sort of metaphysical story where you're trying to rebuild the Earth one evolutionary step at a time. Seeing the planet's development slowly unfold as you play, and the journey from the underworld to the broken surface is executed incredibly well.

Last Blade 2 (Neo Geo, 1998)
This game always sticks out to me when I think "gaming atmosphere". The Bakumatsu era is well represented with town festivals, country roads, and a riverside at sunset. SNK is known for making some pretty lavish (and lavishly pretty) backdrops for their fighters. I guess when you're stuck on the same hardware for 8+ years you learn some good ways to kind of cheat the system and push the system farther than originally thought possible. Some stages don't even have music and rely totally on ambiance and nature sounds, which only heightens the mood.

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (PS2, 2003)
While you might think that a game set entirely in an underground bunker might not have much to offer on the "landscape" department, the confining, dystopian setting is both well-designed and executed, thanks in no small part to the haunting soundtrack by Hitoshi Sakimoto. The game's intentionally brisk and hurried pace is exacerbated by the ever-present percent meter at the top of the screen - a signal of impending doom and a reminder that the stakes are high and every choice matters. Though quite short and often picked apart by critics for difficulty, it still manages to create a wonderfully well-realised industrial game world.

EverQuest II (PC, 2004)
Though most people say that the game's photo-realistic graphics lack any real artistic merit (and they're sort of right), the game does one thing right many other fall short at - squalor. The game has a very dilapidated design theme (I think George Lucas used the term "Used Universe" when talking about his original SW Trilogy), particularly in areas like Freeport and the surrounding boroughs. Piles of rubbish, citizens living in closet-sized houses, tattered cloths, and cooks chasing vermin with clubs. It's a very "lived-in" quality that I haven't seen much of in other games, especially MMOs where everything is supposed to be grand and impressive. The music is also quite enchanting.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:41 am

The forest area in Skies of Arcadia stood out to me, I just liked how it was complex maze of ladders, tree houses and slides and things. It was kind of like Snakes And Ladders now I think about it.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:11 am

I'd definitely agree with Blue Lightning. Very impressive scaled scenery.

A few more that spring to mind.....

I also agree with IK+, but, for me even more memorable are the landscapes of Exploding Fist. Each one of the pretty oriental landscapes is branded onto my memory.

Another C64 title, Epyx Winter Games looked brilliant back in the 80s.

Defender of the Crown is another game that is memorable for it's looks...

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:36 pm

Thanatos on the speccy

recently I have been amazed by the vistas on Bulletstorm Xbox 360

some amazing graphics on this game....

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:22 pm

Lunar Lander. Those flat bits meant a lot. :D
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:34 pm

pratty wrote:The forest area in Skies of Arcadia stood out to me, I just liked how it was complex maze of ladders, tree houses and slides and things. It was kind of like Snakes And Ladders now I think about it.
Seconded, the lovely blues of the Eastern inspired area of the game was lovely, and everything was nice and big, easy to see!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

big-byte

Post by big-byte » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:33 am

Im surprised no ones mentioned Fallout 3. Loved that game and I would often just wander off in a random direction just to see whats around the next corner.