Shadow Dancer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Zagrebo

Re: Shadow Dancer

Post by Zagrebo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:06 am

There was a lot of coldness towards the MD "conversion" of Shadow Dancer, I seem to recall, as it was so different to the arcade version and MD owners were expecting the game they'd played in the arcades. Interesting to see so much positivity for it here, might give it a shot sometime in the near future and compare and contrast with the arcade version (which I like a lot).
http://mattyongames.wordpress.com/

Indie gaming and retrogaming blog by me

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:19 pm

Another vote here for the Megadrive version of Shadow Dancer - prefer it immensely over the arcade cab.

Also agreed Blades of Vengeance was another superb title - definitely one of the better platform / hack'n'slash type affairs the MD had to offer. Cheers for reminding me to check it out again.
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:36 pm

A few others on the Megadrive that are a bit Shinobi like would be Chakan, ESWAT, (MD version very different to arcade), Alisia Dragoon, Rolling Thunder 2 and Jewel Master.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:22 pm

another vote for the MD version, plays like the original arcade shinobi which is a good thing.

in my opinion the arcade version is clunky and fussy in comparison, despite looking quite nice.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:26 pm

I prefer the Amiga version of all the home conversions.
Shadow Dancer is an awesome game, not played this for a bit - that's got me in the mood for a Ninja and his dog now!
Of the 8-bit versions, I thought the CPC version wasn't too bad (apart from the dog looking more like a sheep, which made me laugh)

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:35 pm

thl wrote:The Ninja Warriors by Taito.
Definitely a good shout. Decent PC-Engine port and a really good (IMO) SNES sequel.
Jagfest_UK wrote:A few others on the Megadrive that are a bit Shinobi like would be Chakan, ESWAT, (MD version very different to arcade), Alisia Dragoon, Rolling Thunder 2 and Jewel Master.
I've been trying some of your suggestions out as they were games I missed out on the first time round (I was a relative latecomer to the Mega Drive party) and have just never otherwise gotten around to playing some of them....particularly had fun with Alisia Dragoon and Rolling Thunder 2 earlier and I hadn't even heard of Jewel Master before, it's got a very nice Castlevania kind of feel to it and some really good music.

Did Rolling Thunder 3 ever get a Euro release or was it Jap/US only?

And as you've also reminded me....does anyody know if Robin Morningstar ever get that low budget Chakan movie released? I was actually hoping to see that.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Evilhead

Post by Evilhead » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:25 pm

Rolling Thunder 3 was a US-only release. No JP version exists!

OldSkoolCoolFool

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:51 pm

At the time i loved the ST conversion of Shadow Dancer, played it again recently through mame as i sure the ST conversion won't hold up as well as i remember though! Never actually played the megadrive version but being different to the arcade original didn't harm GG Shinobi so will give it a go some day.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:54 pm

loved the Amiga version

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:52 pm

My copy arrived and from the brief play I had time for it seems very good. A vst improvement on the Master System version I had suffered through.