Game endings - the good, the bad, and the shocking

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

HalcyonDaze00

Game endings - the good, the bad, and the shocking

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:10 am

After finishing Mass Effect 3 and seeing what must be the most talked about and controversial game ending of all time, Ive been thinking about what other game endings Ive liked/disliked or been shocked by.

So, what are your favourite and most hated endings, and which have left you sitting stunned or raging with anger?

Good:
Another World
Prince of Perisa Sands of Time

Bad:
Xenon 2
Fallout 3

Shocking:
Flood
Monkey Island 2

RichL

Re: Game endings - the good, the bad, and the shocking

Post by RichL » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:14 am

The ending of Flood was stupid wasn't it!!

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:51 am

The ending of Monkey Island 2 was brilliant, one of my favourite ever. I still want Ron Gilbert to make the real MI3 and explain it (not that I'm criticising Curse, Escape or Tales which are all very good).

One I hated was Black Ops - I'd heard people rave about it but it just seemed to borrow from every crappy 'twist' ending in movies since The Sixth Sense.

Oh, and though I haven't finished it myself I'd nominate Ghostbusters. Hours of sweating blood for a black screen and some text which in the NES version is even full of typos?

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

RichL

Post by RichL » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:03 am

How about the ending to Cannon Fodder when the Sensible boys tell you to feck off basically?!!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:48 am

The ending of Eternal Sonata was awful and just plain confusing. :( A real shame as I'd really enjoyed the game up to that point, it was a very decent RPG with a good solid battle system similar to Grandia.

Good endings? I really enjoyed the endings for all of the 'Ace Attourney' games (the Phoenix Wright trilogy, Apollo Justice and I'll also include Miles Edgeworth as well), had a great running story throughout the whole series and the endings really made the games worth playing through. :)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:52 am

ToxieDogg wrote:The ending of Eternal Sonata was awful and just plain confusing. :( A real shame as I'd really enjoyed the game up to that point, it was a very decent RPG with a good solid battle system similar to Grandia.

Good endings? I really enjoyed the endings for all of the 'Ace Attourney' games (the Phoenix Wright trilogy, Apollo Justice and I'll also include Miles Edgeworth as well), had a great running story throughout the whole series and the endings really made the games worth playing through. :)
yeah, the Ace Attorney series is superb, all of them!

ivortheinjun

Post by ivortheinjun » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:57 am

Links Awakening was superb, and not a little moving.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:33 am

Silkworm on the Spectrum rewarded you with what was, for me at the time, a very impressive fireworks animation.

Golden Axe's ending was enjoyable, but an odd break from the tone of the game up until that point.

I also have to say that I liked the ending to Modern Warfare 3. Victory cigar FTW!

joefish

Post by joefish » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:17 am

ivortheinjun wrote:Links Awakening was superb, and not a little moving.
Yep, that was a brilliant one.
Mario Galaxy has a pretty dramatic ending to it.

tachi

Post by tachi » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:57 pm

I was so impressed with the ending of Hitman: Blood Money, A bloodbath at your own funeral...amazing. Going back still further, the ending of The Immortal was brilliant. It was a long, hard slog but to discover a setup and yet come out the victor was brilliant!
On the other end I hated the ending of The Ninja Warriors. Loved that game so much and yet the terrible ending, packed with Engrish disgusted me :(
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

Arque

Post by Arque » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:08 pm

My fave endings are:-
Final Fantasy VII
Flashback
Gunstar Heroes
Omega Boost
Highway Encounter
Thunderforce IV

I remember being bitterly disappointed at the end of

Doom/Final Doom

All that and all you get is a static text screen.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:19 pm

Well I cant remember any good ones yet, but can say Darks souls ending was pretty sh!t, considering how many hours it took to achieve. Blink and you miss it.

Eat your nans pants

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:29 pm

I liked the Black Ops one, very clever I thought.

Also I didn't mind the Mass Effect 3 one. After all, does Star Wars go on for an extra half hour after Darth Vader is killed? No!

Seem to be suitably impressed with Super Metroid the first time I saw it. I'm stating the ending as "the time when you pretty much would have to be pants on head retarded to die".

Didn't like Arkham City I must admit.....

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:06 pm

retrogarden wrote: Didn't like Arkham City I must admit.....
Im playing through this now.

I loved the use of 'Silent Night' over the credits of Yakuza 2.

Plus all the crazy character endings in the Tekken franchise!

jcdentont1000

Post by jcdentont1000 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:24 pm

killbot wrote:The ending of Monkey Island 2 was brilliant, one of my favourite ever. I still want Ron Gilbert to make the real MI3 and explain it (not that I'm criticising Curse, Escape or Tales which are all very good).

One I hated was Black Ops - I'd heard people rave about it but it just seemed to borrow from every crappy 'twist' ending in movies since The Sixth Sense.

Oh, and though I haven't finished it myself I'd nominate Ghostbusters. Hours of sweating blood for a black screen and some text which in the NES version is even full of typos?
It has been said about a million times in the fan communities and in interviews/articles with both Ron Gilbert et al that there was no planned plot-arc. He was making it up as he went along. I think Curse did as good a job as Gilbert could've done getting himself out of that little pickle. In other words, I agree with the OP!

Good: Deus Ex/Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Metroid/Super Metroid, Final Fantasy VII, Super Soccer (SNES), the Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney) series, Grand Theft Auto IV are the ones which immediately spring to mind.

Bad: LA Noire (more that the game tails off generally in the second half, than the ending specifically, though that too is a little bit stupid), Limbo - I don't know, I just wanted a little more from it!
XBox 360 Gamertag: jcdentont1000
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: TBC (Now, where did I leave my 3DS..)

"Trust no one. Question everything."