20th Anniversary of the Super Nintendo

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TMR

Re: 20th Anniversary of the Super Nintendo

Post by TMR » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:00 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:No, the point about it having an 8-bit data bus in not irrelevant in the context I referenced it. If "Everything about it just drips quality" then it wouldn't have featured such a limitation.
It does sound like a limitation, but the SNES needs two cycles to get 16 bits through that bus whilst the Megadrive needs four.
DreamcastRIP wrote:Nor would it have featured such a slow CPU either, it could be argued...
How are you defining "slow CPU"?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:14 pm

If it makes you happy typing a load of technobabble about how great SNES was (makes a change from the C=64!) then knock yourself out.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:42 pm

...Eh? Weren't you the one to bring technical considerations into the discussion in the first place? :?

MD and SNES both had ace games; some people preferred the SNES's catalogue. Is it really a surprise to find that to be the prevailing viewpoint in a thread celebrating the 20th anniversary of said console? I mean FFS, has anyone dismissed or taken potshots at other consoles in this thread?

EDIT: Not sure I agree with the joypad comments though; and I for one deffo prefer the MD's pad. The shoulder buttons on SNES pads felt a little awkwardly placed IMO.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Sel Feena wrote:...Eh? Weren't you the one to bring technical considerations into the discussion in the first place? :?

MD and SNES both had ace games; some people preferred the SNES's catalogue. Is it really a surprise to find that to be the prevailing viewpoint in a thread celebrating the 20th anniversary of said console? I mean FFS, has anyone dismissed or taken potshots at other consoles in this thread?

EDIT: Not sure I agree with the joypad comments though; and I for one deffo prefer the MD's pad. The shoulder buttons on SNES pads felt a little awkwardly placed IMO.
My previous post was intended as humour so I apologise if that hadn't come across as such.

I certainly haven't attempted to deny anyones right to enjoy playing SNES games so perhaps you're referring to somebody else with that second paragraph. Not that I recall anyone else here having said so either but there it is. If that's the personal interpretation you're chosen to place on what has been said then that's your prerogative.

Regarding the joypads you've referenced, I always thought the standard three-button Mega Drive joypad sucked too. :lol:
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:53 pm

I remember working full time for my entire summer holiday to save up for one, £40 per week lol. Slave labour or what :lol: Great memories, i'd do it all again at the drop of a hat. I got mine from Curries for £140, should have been £150 but the price tag from the tv above it had slipped off and landed on the snes and the snes tag had slipped onto the floor behind everything! It was like it for weeks too as I had stalked it every weekend until I had saved the cash. Lazy staff lol, fair play to them for honouring their mistake though.

For me ninty have never bettered the mighty Snes, not even come close if you ask me. Fantastic console, up there with the almighty engine as one of the greatest. :)

Eat your nans pants

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:22 pm

It's hard to read humour on the interwebs sometimes, nevertheless apologies DCRIP!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:03 pm

Sel Feena wrote:It's hard to read humour on the interwebs sometimes, nevertheless apologies DCRIP!
Hey, no, it was my fault as I should have either phrased it more clearly or have used an appropriate emoticon. :)

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:10 am

I'm confused... do I hate DCRIP or not? :D

I'm surprised that my contention that the SNES might be the best console ever would be so controversial - after all it regularly finishes at or near the top whenever gamers are polled on such things. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a Jag since it's apparently so vastly superior in every concievable way to any Ninty console!

Why am I reminded of being back in the school playground circa 1991 whenever I visit this forum? ;)

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:15 am

killbot wrote:... Why am I reminded of being back in the school playground circa 1991 whenever I visit this forum? ;)
Maybe, just maybe, it's because you don't do yourself any favours from the outset. Just a thought...

P.S. I'd rather you didn't "hate" me if it's all the same to you! I know we have our moments :lol: from time to time but it's nothing personal and I hold no ill will toward you whatsoever. :D

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:25 am

SNES best console ever? For me, yes.

I truly do love my Sega Megadrive too - there are some great exclusive titles - Sonic 2, Castle of Illusion, Shining Force, Strider, Thunderforce III and so on...

But I just feel the SNES has the edge - I prefer the tighter control of the d-pad, the brighter colours, mode 7 etc and of course the likes of Mario Kart, Super Tennis, Castlevania IV, Super Star Wars, Super Mario World...

It's all a matter of taste though and I really wouldn't want to be without either console as they are significantly different enough to live together! :D

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:45 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
killbot wrote:... Why am I reminded of being back in the school playground circa 1991 whenever I visit this forum? ;)
Maybe, just maybe, it's because you don't do yourself any favours from the outset. Just a thought...
I hate (HATE? "hate"?) to defend DCRIP here, but you kinda did post a lot of trash about the Megadrive. I mean, the SNES is a great console on its own merits. We don't need to pooh pooh the competition to make it look good.

In playground parlance - YOOOOOU STAAAARTED IT :P

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:13 am

20 years :shock: I jumped from a C64 onto the SNES, very tidy console, loved it. I remember getting it on the bus and the bus driver asking "WTF is that?" :lol:

WildWillyWilson

Post by WildWillyWilson » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:57 am

Wondered if they'd be cat fights starting when I saw this title! Nothing changes!

I've never owned a SNES but may get one at some point. I did love playing Super Mario Kart back in the day on a friends machine and it definitely had some quality titles available. Along with the MD the SNES helped make the 16 bit era what it was (Golden Age!).

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:33 am

SNES was in the right place at the right time, i.e. when Nintendo rose to the top of their game. And Square and Capcom and Konami.

Games and my appreciation of them stepped up a level during my time with that console. If I hadn't owned a SNES, I'd have a much more respectable hobby 20 years later!

You can argue about specs all you want, but I wouldn't swap it for a Neo Geo then or now.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:53 am

WildWillyWilson wrote:Wondered if they'd be cat fights starting when I saw this title! Nothing changes!

I've never owned a SNES but may get one at some point. I did love playing Super Mario Kart back in the day on a friends machine and it definitely had some quality titles available. Along with the MD the SNES helped make the 16 bit era what it was (Golden Age!).
I have never owned one as such but when I was younger I swapped my Megadrive for my friends SNES for 2 weeks (we both had a decent amount of games). I was so underwhelmed by the SNES that I asked to swap back after just a few days. I can clearly remember that the only game I enjoyed out of what he had was Magic Sword, the Megadrive just seemed to have much better games or certainly ones that suited my tastes better. Since I have become an adult retro gamer I have found more games I enjoy on the SNES but not nearly enough to ever make me want to own one. I think its nice that the SNES, MD and PCE all have such diverse libraries as people will always find one of them is pretty much the perfect machine for them. The MD for me is the best console of all time and the SNES wouldn't even get a mention in my top 10. Horses for courses and all that . . . .