20th Anniversary of the Super Nintendo

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

dste

20th Anniversary of the Super Nintendo

Post by dste » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:54 am

Twenty years ago the Super Nintendo was released in Europe.

Still my favourite console I remember sitting on the bus journey home from Nottingham City Centre all excited due to having bought the Street Fighter II pack.

Twenty years later and I still have that same pack, still working and about 70+ other games to go with it.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

batman877

Re: 20th Anniversary of the Super Nintendo

Post by batman877 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:20 am

I hear ya! I've still got my original Starwing pack! Many happy days and so many great titles. It still is Nintendo's best machine in my opinion.

I just wish someone could invent a magical cable that would make it look great on my HDTV!

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:33 am

20 years ago?!?! Blimey! Where has the time gone!

The SNES was a fantastic machine that had a library full of great games, my favourite easily being Yoshi's Island! Classic game! :D
batman877 wrote:I just wish someone could invent a magical cable that would make it look great on my HDTV!
I think you can get a special kind of SCART box that enhances the image of anything you plug into it by converting it from RGB to VGA?

EDIT: Found one, but at around £35 it's not cheap!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scart-HDMI-10 ... 174wt_1398

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:12 am

20 years on and Nintendo still hasn't bettered it. I remember getting my SNES for Christmas, along with Spiderman & The Xmen and it was incredible. The graphics and sound were such a step up from the NES. Of course, the games were very expensive, so I was very selective when it came to buying new ones. This meant that I played nothing but classics - Super Mario World, Street Fighter II Turbo, Pilotwings, Super Empire Strikes Back and Starfox.

thl

Post by thl » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:54 am

This has to be one of my favourite console back then.

It was the incredible port of Street Fighter II: The World Warriors that had myself drawn to it and it brought mass changes to both the graphics and soundchip. Plus the introduction of Mode 7 was very special that it made F-Zero and Super Mario Kart look unique thanks to the technology used within the game. Yet like what someone said, it had great catalogue of games from Super Mario World, Starfox, Super Metroid and many others.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:39 pm

pottyboy wrote:20 years ago?!?! Blimey! Where has the time gone!

The SNES was a fantastic machine that had a library full of great games, my favourite easily being Yoshi's Island! Classic game! :D
batman877 wrote:I just wish someone could invent a magical cable that would make it look great on my HDTV!
I think you can get a special kind of SCART box that enhances the image of anything you plug into it by converting it from RGB to VGA?

EDIT: Found one, but at around £35 it's not cheap!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scart-HDMI-10 ... 174wt_1398
Do those things work for all Scart Consoles? I'm hoping to get a HDTV sometime this year and hoping to play my whole console collection on it (No room for 2 TVs).
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

dste

Post by dste » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:49 pm

theantmeister wrote:20 years on and Nintendo still hasn't bettered it. I remember getting my SNES for Christmas, along with Spiderman & The Xmen and it was incredible. The graphics and sound were such a step up from the NES. Of course, the games were very expensive, so I was very selective when it came to buying new ones. This meant that I played nothing but classics - Super Mario World, Street Fighter II Turbo, Pilotwings, Super Empire Strikes Back and Starfox.
I bought Spider-Man and The X-Men a few weeks ago, complete as well. Haven't played it yet unfortunately.

For me there are so many great games on the system that I could spend ages listing them. Some of my favourites include Secret of Mana, A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Super Mario Kart, Starwing, Super Mario World, the Street Fighter games, the Star Wars games, Alien 3 and many more.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:31 pm

One of the things I love about the SNES is the sound and music on a lot of games...not wanting to get into a SNES/Mega Drive war here (I do like the Mega Drive and many of it's games :) ) but cetainly at the time I was amazed by just how much better the music on my games sounded to most of my mate's Mega Drive games....just so much nicer and more natural sounding for the most part. On some games, the soundtrack was virtually CD quality.

I got the original Super Mario World pack, unfortunately I don't have the box anymore but both console, game and every other game I've bought since still work perfectly fine (I've actually got it set up at the moment). I haven't had any problems with the battery back up saves on any of my carts yet, touch wood. It was the first 'proper' console I got into (not counting my dad's Atari 2600 that he sold when I was about 8 to fund my first Speccy) so it holds a heck of a lot of nostalgia value for me too. :D
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Evander

Post by Evander » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:34 am

I still can't work out where 2 of my mates each got their £64.99 from to buy Street Fighter II back in the day, but either way I was glad they did.

Fast forward 20 years and the console still oozes quality.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:20 am

Doing a bit of reading about the SNES this was a surprise "Discontinued JP September 2003" Wow longer than the N64

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:56 am

I love the SNES...probably my favourite console ever! It's odd, but even the really crap games seem better than crap games on most other systems... :lol:
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:59 am

20 years eh?

I only got my first SNES last year :P
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:04 am

Re: DPrinny -

2003 was quite a momentous year then - both the Famicom and Super Famicom finally rolled off the production line within months of each other.

The last software release was still remarkably late though - Metal Slader Glory in November 2000!

I still remember that day in February '93 when I came home from school to see my brother holding the Super Mario World set and copy of Street Fighter II that he'd bought (he'd had compensation for breaking his leg tripping over a loose paving slab). I am still looking after those two cartridges for him since he's moved and his SNES has long since bitten the dust.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:38 am

Wow. I got the original Super Mario World pack, plus Super Tennis and the footy game (what was it called??). Bought it from Woolworths with my Christmas money, think i was 13. Cost about £130.

The Snes still casts a shadow over gaming IMO - the Snes is The Beatles of games consoles.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:52 am

SNES is one of my favourite machines too. I yearned for a Super Famicom back in the day when Mean Machines would show this amazing machine that was only available in Japan. The glowing reports they printed about what the machine could do and the reviews of the must have games made me want one all the more. It was a long time later that i finally got a SNES, but it remained the Holy Grail until I got one. I think the SNES, for me anyway, possesses an almost magical appeal - kind of an Aladdin's Lamp and Aladdin's cave all rolled into one.