Complete Retro Gamer Collection - For Sale? Hmm...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

chapperz

Complete Retro Gamer Collection - For Sale? Hmm...

Post by chapperz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:49 am

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I will say that this isn't a decision I am making lightly. Retro Gamer is the only video games mag I continue to buy, but am just mulling this over so I thought I would ask the community for their thoughts...

I have every issue complete with all the coverdiscs, having been a subscriber since around issue 4 or 5 I think...anyway, I am not sure whether to sell up or not as I'm having a major clearout and could do with a chunk of cash for other projects. I have an official binder which houses some of the earlier issues and I even have the disc-only "Retro Survival" issue (aka the "lost" Issue 19), which I bought in support of the fallout from the previous publisher.

I just wondered what it would be worth? I appreciate there will be lots of posts saying "Noooo! Don't do it!" and I may not do it, but I like the community and your opinions will help me decide what I want to do.

By the way, I have a complete Commodore Format collection with all the covertapes that I have to make a similar decision on...

Chapperz :?: :!:
Long live the C64!!

Antiriad2097

Re: Complete Retro Gamer Collection - For Sale? Hmm...

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:14 pm

Just a couple of quid per issue on average, though some of the earlier ones fetch a few pounds more. The days of the £80 issue are long gone, especially since the emags, disc versions and issue 1 reprint.

You'd need a few more posts to sell on here though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:16 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Just a couple of quid per issue on average, though some of the earlier ones fetch a few pounds more. The days of the £80 issue are long gone, especially since the emags, disc versions and issue 1 reprint.

You'd need a few more posts to sell on here though.
Though he joined in 2005!

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:31 pm

Well, im starting to sell mine. I dont have every issue (but most) and still have the odd cover disk but I cant be arsed to look for them. They are taking up too much space for me and I hardly ever read them more than twice. If I find one with a feature on the engine I'll probably keep it. I would like to think that I could own them all again one day on an ipad or something.

Eat your nans pants

fujiHunter

Post by fujiHunter » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:46 pm

If it helps, here's a list of some Ebay lots of Retro Gamer that sold in the last 6 months.

Retro Gamer Magazine Collection (71 issues)
Item number: 140592114887
Winning bid: £149.98
£2.11 per issue

Retro Gamer Magazine Collection -issues 19-91 inclusive (72 issues)
Item number: 280728468998
Winning bid: £130.75
£1.82 per issue (a real steal this one!)

Retro Gamer magazines job lot (22 issues)
Item number: 290588335588
Winning bid: £45.00
£2.05 per issue

Retro Gamer Magazine Collection. >>> 89 ISSUES <<<
Item number: 120751489346
Winning bid: £250.45
£2.81 per issue

Retro Gamer Collection 83 magazines!
Item number: 120759252758
Winning bid: £221.45
£2.67 per issue

Mostly, it's the usual suspects who bid on every Retro Gamer joblot that appears. They buy the Joblot, split it up, then relist and resell each issue individually at a profit. Genuine buyers interested in the collection for what it is (i.e. NOT a cynical profit making exercise) rarely win such auctions as people buying to resell are willing to pay a premium so long as they can still make money at the end of the day. This is good for sellers (you!)... but not so good for genuine collectors/buyers. That just seems to be the way Ebay works though!

Anyway as someone said before, I'd be looking for a minimum of £2/issue (but in truth probably more!).

chapperz

Post by chapperz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks for the replies so far folks! And thanks RG for reprinting Issue 1 - instantly devaluing my collection! [joke]

Still mulling it over - I think £2 an issue is not enough to make me sell up yet...

Chapperz
Long live the C64!!

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:07 pm

Ive sold most of mine.. and the most ive had for some were Sonic, Mario and Zelda type covers went for the most.. £8-15. That was late last year

List them all seperately if you do sell them. Looking at Ebay's completed listings it seems they are still sought after.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:36 pm

When I've sold mine individually in the past they tended to work out around £3-4 each minus fees.

DarrenG

Post by DarrenG » Wed May 02, 2012 5:06 pm

I have just sold my complete collection of Retro Gamers on eBay for £550. Before I advertised mine I saw a collection with a Buy it now price of £649 that seemed to disapear. Another collection is on eBay now with a buy it now price of £600.

There are a lot more copies for sale on eBay now than there used to be. A few months ago I saw an issue 1 go for £50. Few days ago I saw a Binder with issues 1 to 10 and all DVD's go for £38. Individual issues seem to sell for a few pounds each now.

First offer I received was for £250 from somebody who was clearly going to split them up and sell them. The only serious interest I got was from Buyers in Australia and Germany. A courier collected them all today to take them to their new home in Germany.