Is an Xbox worth it alongside a 360 ?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

binaryRooster

Re: Is an Xbox worth it alongside a 360 ?

Post by binaryRooster » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:27 am

Budly Moore wrote:I kept mine for among other things Silent Hill 2, after the HD remakes, glad I kept it.
i was just thinking the same thing after reading the reviews of the HD collection! They miss out one entire game from that generation (not much of a collection then is it?) and still manage to screw it up. What a wasted opportunity.

Yeah, an original xbox is well worth having. Microsoft promised BC as a vote winner and then pretty much gave up. Sony did the same thing but then realised they could make money by selling the games on PSN instead of you picking them up for a couple of quid at CEX.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:49 am

def yes, I've got a softmodded xbox sitting above my 360. I'd be liar if I said it got more use than the newer machine, but it's nice to have it there :)
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:11 am

binaryRooster wrote:
Budly Moore wrote:I kept mine for among other things Silent Hill 2, after the HD remakes, glad I kept it.
i was just thinking the same thing after reading the reviews of the HD collection! They miss out one entire game from that generation (not much of a collection then is it?) and still manage to screw it up. What a wasted opportunity.

Yeah, an original xbox is well worth having. Microsoft promised BC as a vote winner and then pretty much gave up. Sony did the same thing but then realised they could make money by selling the games on PSN instead of you picking them up for a couple of quid at CEX.
maybe a stupid question, but if a game came out for PS2 and the Xbox, which one was the best quality? in other words, which of the 2 is the most advanced machine?

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:41 am

^^ xbox
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:04 am

pomegran wrote:
AceGrace wrote:I picked up my 4th xbox at a carboot yesterday. It is fitted with an xecutor mod chip and came with a wireless controller.

unfortunately I think it is a dud. When I switch it on, it comes up with a red led, turns off, then on again with a red led, then off, then on again and flashes red and blue. Anyone know what the problem might be?

I have looked online and there are lots of references to flashing red/green led'sbut not red/blue.
Mine has dual boot so if you just 'tap' the on button it starts blue (which means mod is on) whereas if you hold it just a little bit longer it goes red which means mod off.

Simply tap the on button it and see what happens.
Will do although I don't get any screen display at all.

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:23 am

AceGrace wrote:I picked up my 4th xbox at a carboot yesterday. It is fitted with an xecutor mod chip and came with a wireless controller.

unfortunately I think it is a dud. When I switch it on, it comes up with a red led, turns off, then on again with a red led, then off, then on again and flashes red and blue. Anyone know what the problem might be?

I have looked online and there are lots of references to flashing red/green led'sbut not red/blue.
Since it is modded with a chip, I'm wondering if when it was opened an internal connection of the dvd or hdd had been not correctly fitted back. Or after modding mine I found a bit of solder splash just touching the wrong part of the circuit. Luckily for me, when I removed it, it worked fine and has done for the last 8 years. Definitely worth checking.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:28 am

Do I need to check the underside of the motherboard? The Xecutor chip plugs into a socket on the motherboard with one lead plugging into a socket at the front and another lead disappearing underneath the motherboard.

It has a 120gb hdd in it which I removed and reattached a stock 8gb one. Still the same problem so I am assuming the hdd is OK. I also removed the dvd drive and plugged it back in again as well. Also when I turn it on I can't eject the dvd tray. I was able to do it initially.

The machine came with about 80 *cough* "games" so I am assuming that it did work at some stage.

chapperz

Post by chapperz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:40 am

I've still got my original Xbox and have softmodded it along the way so I can play emulators on it. I also bought an HD cable a few years ago which will output at 720p so I can play Sonic, Streets of Rage etc. in HD 8)

There's no argument for not having one really... :D
Long live the C64!!

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:00 am

The original Xbox was actually a HD machine, before the 360, and its still really powerful today. I got the component leads with mine and i run the dash and xbmc at 720p, while everything else runs at 480p. I always watch dvd's through xbmc on my Xbox at 720p and everything looks pin-sharp and amazing, i couldn't recommend an original Xbox more.

chapperz

Post by chapperz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:20 am

Good point...when I play Burnout Revenge, it'd pass for a 360 game IMHO...
Long live the C64!!

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:34 am

AceGrace wrote:Do I need to check the underside of the motherboard? The Xecutor chip plugs into a socket on the motherboard with one lead plugging into a socket at the front and another lead disappearing underneath the motherboard.

It has a 120gb hdd in it which I removed and reattached a stock 8gb one. Still the same problem so I am assuming the hdd is OK. I also removed the dvd drive and plugged it back in again as well. Also when I turn it on I can't eject the dvd tray. I was able to do it initially.

The machine came with about 80 *cough* "games" so I am assuming that it did work at some stage.
Worth checking. Mine has been soldered underneath. A wire may have broken away.
The tray may just be stuck. Does it make a small clunking sound when you press eject, like it's trying to come out? Sometimes mine sticks and I find that when I press eject and push the tray gently up and down it will come out. After several presses in and out it behaves normally again.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:17 pm

snesfanboy wrote:maybe a stupid question, but if a game came out for PS2 and the Xbox, which one was the best quality? in other words, which of the 2 is the most advanced machine?
Graphically it's the Xbox. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=std9wKplilE

Basically the GPU could fart out shadows and water as if it wasn't even an issue. Which it wasn't due to the way it was designed! :lol:

That isn't to say that the PS2 version was "bad" since I own both it and the updated Xbox 360 release. It's just noticeable. Games like Splinter Cell (which to be fair were written specifically to use the Xbox GPU's shaders) look even worse via direct comparison.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

SomeScrub

Post by SomeScrub » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:25 pm

Considering how hilariously poor the 360 plays most xbox games if there are xbox games games you care about it seems worth it. With that said there are so few xbox games that I find worth playing that it seems like an especially large and ugly paper weight. I want to get orta and house of the dead 3, but then i would need to drag the dumb thing out of the crate it's in. Also why bother modding it in 2012, use your pc and plug in a 360 controller.
Fighting game, side scroller, shmup, and general arcade enthusiast.
Sfxt:Rufus, Hugo SF4:Bison, Gief, Rufus 3s:Hugo down to play fighter's, shumps, wudeva over xbla
WTB saturn/psp games

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:27 pm

SomeScrub wrote:Also why bother modding it in 2012, use your pc and plug in a 360 controller.
Then move your pc next to your tv and plug it it. :roll:

SomeScrub

Post by SomeScrub » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:32 pm

stvd wrote:
SomeScrub wrote:Also why bother modding it in 2012, use your pc and plug in a 360 controller.
Then move your pc next to your tv and plug it it. :roll:
I use a tv for a monitor *wa wa*
Fighting game, side scroller, shmup, and general arcade enthusiast.
Sfxt:Rufus, Hugo SF4:Bison, Gief, Rufus 3s:Hugo down to play fighter's, shumps, wudeva over xbla
WTB saturn/psp games